2014 Bowl Projections

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

He was sacked by Oregon I believe 5 times and was hurried Throughout the game. The fumbles are on him, I'll agree with that.

I know he was drilled several times as he threw ball. I'm not going to pretend he is elite, but I think he's competing out there and doing well all things considered.
Last edited by pokefanchaz7 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

pokefanchaz7 wrote:He was sacked by Oregon I believe 5 times and was hurried Throughout the game.

I know he was drilled several times as he through the ball. I'm not going to pretend he is elite, but I think he's competing out there and doing well all things considered.
He was sacked 6 times by Montana and 5 times by Air force, Our OL is not the entire fault of all the sacks. I know his field experience is lacking, Yes he has improved from game to game in some aspects of his game but the most important knowing when to throw it away or take off and run he has shown no improvement on.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

I'm pleasantly surprised with Colby's play so far, although as he's gained some trust in his pass protection, he's started to hold on to the ball WAY too long. A couple of those sacks in the Oregon game were a result of the fact that his line can't block Oregon for 6 seconds. During the Montana game, he seemed nervous and was too quick to get rid of the ball. He wasn't letting plays develop. He's obviously more comfortable now. His internal clock just needs a little refinement. Nothing that can't be corrected with some more experience.

I'm content with our QB play so far.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:He was sacked by Oregon I believe 5 times and was hurried Throughout the game.

I know he was drilled several times as he through the ball. I'm not going to pretend he is elite, but I think he's competing out there and doing well all things considered.
He was sacked 6 times by Montana and 5 times by Air force, Our OL is not the entire fault of all the sacks. I know his field experience is lacking, Yes he has improved from game to game in some aspects of his game but the most important knowing when to throw it away or take off and run he has shown no improvement on.
?

He wasn't sacked at all against AF. He was hit quite a bit but got rid of the ball. I do think that against Oregon he held on to the ball to long from time to time one led to a pick and the other the fumble. I also think he is learning and getting better with each game. Will have to see if the improvement continues.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Our receivers haven't shown they can out battle the defender for the ball either.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:

?

He wasn't sacked at all against AF. He was hit quite a bit but got rid of the ball. I do think that against Oregon he held on to the ball to long from time to time one led to a pick and the other the fumble. I also think he is learning and getting better with each game. Will have to see if the improvement continues.
I just left out Hit in front of the Air Force comment, It doesn't change anything in any way shape or form.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote:Our receivers haven't shown they can out battle the defender for the ball either.
This still has no impact on Kirk, throwing it away vs taking a sack and fumbling.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:Our receivers haven't shown they can out battle the defender for the ball either.
This still has no impact on Kirk, throwing it away vs taking a sack and fumbling.
Agreed.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Wyo2dal wrote:He always needs to realize we don't need him to make impossible plays we just need him to manage the clock and the ball.
Yup, and take us down the length of the field with 2 minutes left down by 3 and win the game for us. He needs to do that too. :D
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:He always needs to realize we don't need him to make impossible plays we just need him to manage the clock and the ball.
Yup, and take us down the length of the field with 2 minutes left down by 3 and win the game for us. He needs to do that too. :D
Or lead the team on 98 yard TD drives capped with an amazing throw to your Biletnikoff watch list WR against the #2 team in the country in their house.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
hithere
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:
Or lead the team on 98 yard TD drives capped with an amazing throw to your Biletnikoff watch list WR against the #2 team in the country in their house.
It was Tanner Gentry but I agree with your point and you're on a roll.

I think Kirk isn't awful now. And hopefully he won't regress.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Or lead the team on 98 yard TD drives capped with an amazing throw to your Biletnikoff watch list WR against the #2 team in the country in their house.
So what you guys are saying is 2 drives is worth 3 TO's? Great logic. He has given away more points than he has created just think about that for a second or two.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Or lead the team on 98 yard TD drives capped with an amazing throw to your Biletnikoff watch list WR against the #2 team in the country in their house.
So what you guys are saying is 2 drives is worth 3 TO's? Great logic. He has given away more points than he has created just think about that for a second or two.
Ouch. I certainly hadn't thought about it in that light. I agree he has been great at times but when he's bad, HES REALLY BAD! Cant give away points like he has.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Man I think if we had Brett we could have won that game.
Kirk had two turnovers that led to Oregon TDs.
Take 14 off of Oregons scored and put it on ours and we are sitting at Oregon winning 34-28. Such a different game. Brett would have been fired up, would have been able to shred that defense WAY more than Colby did. It just would have been a totally different game.

Oh well.

Kirk really needs to limit turnovers in games that are the "winnable" games.

He can't be turning the ball over like that in these toss up games like FAU, SJSU, NM, Fresno, Hawaii and CSU.
We could win all 6 of those games if he limits mistakes and makes a handful of nice plays.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Man I think if we had Brett we could have won that game.
Kirk had two turnovers that led to Oregon TDs.
Take 14 off of Oregons scored and put it on ours and we are sitting at Oregon winning 34-28. Such a different game. Brett would have been fired up, would have been able to shred that defense WAY more than Colby did. It just would have been a totally different game.

Oh well.

Kirk really needs to limit turnovers in games that are the "winnable" games.

He can't be turning the ball over like that in these toss up games like FAU, SJSU, NM, Fresno, Hawaii and CSU.
We could win all 6 of those games if he limits mistakes and makes a handful of nice plays.
As much As I'd like to agree with you, there was no way with or without Brett Smith that we win this game. If we had kept it close Oregon would have started airing it out more and they would have exposed our DBs. I think it could have been a closer game, but even with Brett, Oregon wins that game 100 times out of 100 IMO.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Here are my thoughts on the Oregon turnovers changing the game:

Colby had 3 turnovers (one fumble) that led to TD's for Oregon. They're all big, but the biggest is the 2nd interception late in the 2nd quarter, DEEP in Oregon territory. If he hits the under guy on that pass, we continue to run clock and we get either 3 or 7 points on the board shortly before halftime. We could have run enough clock that Oregon doesn't get a chance to score another TD before halftime, we're down somewhere between 6 and 10 points going into the locker room instead of 20.

The first interception was on a 3rd down that it didn't look like we were going to convert. Oregon was going to get the ball back anyway, but not likely with the field position they got. The fumble would have been bigger if the game was closer because it was on 1st or 2nd down. Our biggest strength was going to be the ability to keep the ball out of Oregon's hands. It honestly was working if it weren't for the 3 turnovers.

Another thing to consider is the fact that Marriota would have stayed in the game if we weren't turning the ball over. His only possession that didn't end in a TD got to the 2 yard line before we stuffed them. Not to say that we couldn't have "figured out" Oregon's starting offense, but it wasn't looking likely.

The turnovers on early downs hurt us more than the first interception, which was on 3rd down. Our best defense really was keeping Oregon off the field. That interception really was a 14 point swing right before halftime. If he doesn't throw that pick, it's looking very likely that we are down 20-14 at halftime. THAT would have been impressive.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote:
As much As I'd like to agree with you, there was no way with or without Brett Smith that we win this game. If we had kept it close Oregon would have started airing it out more and they would have exposed our DBs. I think it could have been a closer game, but even with Brett, Oregon wins that game 100 times out of 100 IMO.
I don't agree with that necessarily. Colby moved the ball well, and Brett was far from flawless when it came to ball protection against big-time teams. He threw 1/3 of his season interceptions against Texas in 2012, and the greedy pick he threw against Nebraska when Rufran was wide open underneath was a killer.

Having said that, I'd take Brett's game experience over Colby's. Again, if we don't turn over the ball and control the clock, you never know how teams would react. Oregon may score quick, but if we keep answering, the ball might bounce our way at one point or another.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
My point was only that we are asking way more of him than to not make impossible plays and manage the clock, not that 2 drives makes up for 3 turnovers. Coming to that conclusion was bad logic on your part.

I'll choose not to even mention the FAU game since my point was prior to it.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
My point was only that we are asking way more of him than to not make impossible plays and manage the clock, not that 2 drives makes up for 3 turnovers. Coming to that conclusion was bad logic on your part.

I'll choose not to even mention the FAU game since my point was prior to it.
I'm not going to argue with you over what I feel like is completely pointless. There is no way the coach is asking him to do more than manage the game. He isn't asking for a dominate performance, 98 Yard drives are part of managing the game not being something special. Did he do one amazing thing during that drive? No he just played a solid game and paid attention.

He is being asked to manage the game but his mistakes make that harder to do than it should be. This all comes back to his pocket presence which is extremely lacking and it's my only real complaint with him. I could careless if he ran a 4.2 or could throw 80 yards. The fact he doesn't know when to get rid of the ball and he takes sacks and fumbles because he isn't aware they are coming is my issue and it is the only thing that will keep us from reaching a Bowl game.

Back on topic - We have been upgraded or side-graded, I'm not sure where Poinsettia Bowl lies in people want to attend but the same value as Carriers in New Orleans.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

So week 6 we lose to a top ten team and we get knocked out of a potential bowl, Seems odd but w/e.