FAU blog on Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I can see why people might think FAU is legit and we aren't.

It depends on how you spin it though.

Scenario A: Wyo eeked out wins against an FCS team and a team who won 2 games last season then got smoked by a real team. Meanwhile FAU played 2 tough programs then finally broke out against a G5 team like Wyo.

Scenario B: Wyo beat a top FCS team, beat a decent FBS team, got smoked by the #2 team in the country, meanwhile FAU looked like poop against the #3 team in the country, and got smoked by a completely overrated Nebraska, and beat a horrible Tulsa team.

I think that us as college football fans put too much into the prettiness of the spread offense. That's why we though Brett Smith was the greatest thing ever yet he spent about 36 hours on an NFL teams roster.
We thought our high powered Brett Smith offense was going to get us a lot of wins, but then we couldn't beat real defenses.
Well that's what we have...a real defense.

We will win ugly in a lot of games, but we will win.

Win this, survive at MSU, win @ Hawaii, win against SJSU.
Win win win. Won't be pretty but we will win.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Commuter college. Averaged 14K last year, highest attendance was 19K in a city over 1 million people. Obviously they care.
Sounds like a certain school in our conference....who also think their sh!t doesn't stink.
Ah....Fort Fart U!
Or SDSU.
Or NM.
Or UNLV.

This is what the MW is full of lately.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Did I miss something somewhere? Where is all the love for this FAU team coming from? I made the unfortunate decision to befriend people who root for the Bug Eaters to the east of us and they're blowing up my Facebook feed claiming FAU is going to blow us out. They're convinced because we got smoked by the Ducks and lucked into wins agains Montana and AF that were doomed. Is FAU formidable and no one except Nebraska and Florida residents know this?
And if not for DC getting all cutesy last year with a trick play in the EZ that was intercepted, or bothered to make half time adjustments, we would have walked out of there with a W. With what would go on to be our worst defense in school history and an offense that would torch bad teams and run into a brick wall against average teams.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Commuter college. Averaged 14K last year, highest attendance was 19K in a city over 1 million people. Obviously they care.
Sounds like a certain school in our conference....who also think their sh!t doesn't stink.
Ah....Fort Fart U!
Or SDSU.
Or NM.
Or UNLV.

SDSU - yep.
NM - really? Every single NM fan I've interacted with has been awesome.
UNLV - Haven't seen too much chirping.

All that said, we've got our fair share of stuck up fans as well. Turns out they exist in every fan base. There's just more of them in many other places.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:I think that us as college football fans put too much into the prettiness of the spread offense. That's why we though Brett Smith was the greatest thing ever yet he spent about 36 hours on an NFL teams roster.
We thought our high powered Brett Smith offense was going to get us a lot of wins, but then we couldn't beat real defenses.

:thumb:
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BeaverPoke wrote:I can see why people might think FAU is legit and we aren't.

Scenario A: Wyo eeked out wins against an FCS team and a team who won 2 games last season then got smoked by a real team. Meanwhile FAU played 2 tough programs then finally broke out against a G5 team like Wyo.

Scenario B: Wyo beat a top FCS team, beat a decent FBS team, got smoked by the #2 team in the country, meanwhile FAU looked like poop against the #3 team in the country, and got smoked by a completely overrated Nebraska, and beat a horrible Tulsa team.

I think that us as college football fans put too much into the prettiness of the spread offense. That's why we though Brett Smith was the greatest thing ever yet he spent about 36 hours on an NFL teams roster.

Let's not forget a few other things.
1. DC never developed players. He could recruit good talent, but never made them reach their fullest potential.
2. DC NEVER made half time adjustments, and it painfully showed every 3rd quarter for every game he coached here.
3. During his last season, DC never changed his plays on offense, making it painfully obvious for most people to predict what he was going to call (screen left, screen right, read option, and attempt a deep ball to Herron).
4. DC kept telling the QBs to go faster, forget their footwork, forget going through their motions, forget reading defenses, just get the ball and throw it.
5. Maybe most important, but DC NEVER encouraged the players about the game they were going to play. He never got them excited and up for it. Probably a big reason for the Texas State game on. Despite losses, he never gave them encouragement to keep fighting.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
Ah....Fort Fart U!
Or SDSU.
Or NM.
Or UNLV.

SDSU - yep.
NM - really? Every single NM fan I've interacted with has been awesome.
UNLV - Haven't seen too much chirping.

All that said, we've got our fair share of stuck up fans as well. Turns out they exist in every fan base. There's just more of them in many other places.

I was more referencing the universities in big cities and underwhelming attendance to go with it.

FoCo-CSU
San Diego-SDSU
ABQ-New Mexico
Vegas-UNLV
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

To be fair to UNM, they're still recovering from what became a their "Voldemort" as a HC a few years back.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I can see why people might think FAU is legit and we aren't.

Let's not forget a few other things.
1. DC never developed players. He could recruit good talent, but never made them reach their fullest potential.
2. DC NEVER made half time adjustments, and it painfully showed every 3rd quarter for every game he coached here.
3. During his last season, DC never changed his plays on offense, making it painfully obvious for most people to predict what he was going to call (screen left, screen right, read option, and attempt a deep ball to Herron).
4. DC kept telling the QBs to go faster, forget their footwork, forget going through their motions, forget reading defenses, just get the ball and throw it.
5. Maybe most important, but DC NEVER encouraged the players about the game they were going to play. He never got them excited and up for it. Probably a big reason for the Texas State game on. Despite losses, he never gave them encouragement to keep fighting.
One more to add to the list:

6. DC never earned the respect of the players. If you don't respect your coach, you won't give him 100% effort.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

BeaverPoke wrote: FoCo-CSU
San Diego-SDSU
ABQ-New Mexico
Vegas-UNLV
Every city has their "reasons" for this, though. San Diego State averaging 31k last season actually isn't that terrible. Qualcomm being 2 miles away from SDSU does hurt them in terms of student attendance. It's also not the nicest stadium around :P

NM was referenced above, and Vegas is Vegas. Try getting anybody to reliably focus on a sports team there.

Also, I seem to recall Wyoming being in trouble for low attendance in the early 2000s. We had a season where we averaged 14k or something, I believe. Then Joe Glenn came in and got everybody excited and people started showing up again.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: FoCo-CSU
San Diego-SDSU
ABQ-New Mexico
Vegas-UNLV
Every city has their "reasons" for this, though. San Diego State averaging 31k last season actually isn't that terrible. Qualcomm being 2 miles away from SDSU does hurt them in terms of student attendance. It's also not the nicest stadium around :P

NM was referenced above, and Vegas is Vegas. Try getting anybody to reliably focus on a sports team there.

Also, I seem to recall Wyoming being in trouble for low attendance in the early 2000s. We had a season where we averaged 14k or something, I believe. Then Joe Glenn came in and got everybody excited and people started showing up again.
SDSU didn't average anywhere near 31k in the stands, that's just what they reported.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I think if the MW wants to be more respected, the teams like NM, Boise, SDSU, UNLV, and CSU need to be the top dogs year in and year out.

It's just the way the tv markets and populations set up.