Mel Kiper Jr. on Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Gave the Cowboys defense serious props. Says the defense is a better than average defense and says it will be a heck of a lot better situation for Wyoming's defense handling Michigan States offense than Eastern Michigan. "Wyoming defense is underrated" he says.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Scoring wise? A lot better than last year, that's for sure.

And so long as MSU doesn't run a ton of read option, which the last couple of games has really hurt us, our defense should do okay against their run game.
aranderson
Cowpoke

He was referencing Connor Cook a lot. Saying if they play their A game they win handily. But if they are off watch out for Wyoming. Says Cook cannot make mistakes again our better than average defense. The topic was teams on potential upset alert.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Interesting...I feel like when there is anything about upset alert for Wyo it starts on Wyonation.

No one on here seems too confident in our abilities against MSU but apparently the talking heads do? Weird.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
aranderson
Cowpoke

BJC
A Real Cowboy

oh boy!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

This is proof that Bohl carries with him name recognition and reputation. Honestly, I have seen our D do some great things, but see it also get shredded. I am still a little timid to say Wyoming has a better than average D.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:This is proof that Bohl carries with him name recognition and reputation. Honestly, I have seen our D do some great things, but see it also get shredded. I am still a little timid to say Wyoming has a better than average D.
How about this.....Michigan State allowed two fewer points to Oregon than Wyoming did. And, we gave the Ducks a short field on at least 3 occasions. And we have held our other opponents well below their averages (FAU is strange because they lost their starting QB early in the Nebraska game when the score was close and for all off the Alabama game...but they throttled Tulsa).

In regards to Bohl...the preview for this game on ESPN2 mentions he was the coach for the previous 3 FCS championships. He is getting more kudos than most of the players on both sides.

I think we play well, but that might not be enough in the end.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

can the stars align and we see the shock to the world for a change, man oh man
aranderson
Cowpoke

Nebraska last year aside, this game has all the makings for a upset for Wyoming. Three reasons why. We have coach Bohl, number two we are very battle tested, and three we are going to be very well prepared. Coach Bohl knows how to coach and this game will play into his style. I see a close outcome going either way.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Bohl's NDSU teams upset similarly-styled FBS teams in terms of physicality. Mostly, that statement applies to Minnesota, CSU, and K-State.

We're going to have a tough time scoring on Saturday, but hopefully MSU does as well. I expect a prepared Wyoming team that's playing to win.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

aranderson wrote:Nebraska last year aside, this game has all the makings for a upset for Wyoming. Three reasons why. We have coach Bohl, number two we are very battle tested, and three we are going to be very well prepared. Coach Bohl knows how to coach and this game will play into his style. I see a close outcome going either way.
Problem is we don't have Smith playing. The reason we were even in the Nebraska game was Smith.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

LOOK...I hope we win..really do. But comparing us playing MSU to ndsu playing csu or Minnesota in down years isn't the same. That being said, we are playing an elite team and it would be AMAZING to come out with a W. :twocents:
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

We could beat Michigan but not Michigan State.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

The only thing I am disappointed with on defense is the inability to get pressure or sacks on the QB and I think some of that would have to go on our DEs. I feel like more pressure on the QB might lead to more turnovers by fumbles and interceptions - which have been few and hard to come by.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

BJC wrote:LOOK...I hope we win..really do. But comparing us playing MSU to ndsu playing csu or Minnesota in down years isn't the same. That being said, we are playing an elite team and it would be AMAZING to come out with a W. :twocents:
NDSU wasn't at their peak when they beat Minnesota, and K-State wasn't necessarily down last year.

Michigan State should be really good, but do we really know that yet? They did just a little better against Oregon than we did. We're in no place to say that Wyoming could pull this upset, but at the same time, I'm not going to completely rule it out based on my faith in Coach Bohl.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

So long as we move the ball and not turn it over, we have a chance.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:So long as we move the ball and not turn it over, we have a chance.

You think we can move the ball? And not turn it over?

I see this being a game where Wick and May combine for less than 100 and Colby tosses 3 picks.

Michigan States defense is brutal. Our offense is not good, not even MWC good, much less Top 10 good.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:So long as we move the ball and not turn it over, we have a chance.

I see this being a game where Wick and May combine for less than 100 and Colby tosses 3 picks.

Michigan States defense is brutal. Our offense is not good, not even MWC good, much less Top 10 good.
Wow Beav.....are you OK? :eek:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BeaverPoke wrote:

I said "so long as we move the ball and not turn it over", that means if we do those 2 things, we have a chance. If not, then we lose.

f-word hell, moving to Oregon State has really turned you into a sheep or even a BYU fan. Damn.