WYO/MSU GAME THREAD

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

MSU was just damned good. Your going to miss tackles when you are trying to drop a freight train. Its very unrealistic to think we will complete with the top 10 at this time in building our new program.

Today was a good reminder of what it is Craig Bohl is trying to build. MSU's quarterback was beyond ridiculous. The fake handoffs were the best I've seen in a long time. They pounded it out with pure size and athleticism. It is going to be a while before we get that big and fast.

Their defense was brutal against the run and it forced us to start passing more and more. The 1 or 2 yards we would get with the occasional big play just wasn't going to keep us in the game.

We will get there. Bohl wasn't very positive in his post game interview. I do like that he took it a bit personal that the score got this lopsided.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WyoBrandX wrote:MSU was just damned good. Your going to miss tackles when you are trying to drop a freight train. Its very unrealistic to think we will complete with the top 10 at this time in building our new program.

Today was a good reminder of what it is Craig Bohl is trying to build. MSU's quarterback was beyond ridiculous. The fake handoffs were the best I've seen in a long time. They pounded it out with pure size and athleticism. It is going to be a while before we get that big and fast.

Their defense was brutal against the run and it forced us to start passing more and more. The 1 or 2 yards we would get with the occasional big play just wasn't going to keep us in the game.

We will get there. Bohl wasn't very positive in his post game interview. I do like that he took it a bit personal that the score got this lopsided.
I said before we need to be patient with this team and coaching staff. Some people are already throwing them under the bus. Like you said, this was one hell of a good team we played today.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

One big question to ask: Does the Bohl offensive style translate to the big boys -- i.e., the FBS ?
Get much behind in this style, and you are screwed. Of course, he may learn and open it up a little.

P.S. Anybody thinking Hawaii will be a sure W needs to look at how the Rainbows handled Washington and
Oregon State at home. They lost but it was close. Hawaii is a good home field team.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote:MSU was just damned good. Your going to miss tackles when you are trying to drop a freight train. Its very unrealistic to think we will complete with the top 10 at this time in building our new program.

I agree. We may have a better team physically than last year. A bunch of War Daddies. But, their only going to get bigger. Shoot, even that RB Hill was blasting our guys!!! All 5-8, 200 lbs of him. I think we will have that ability some day.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Adv8RU12 wrote:One big question to ask: Does the Bohl offensive style translate to the big boys -- i.e., the FBS ?
Get much behind in this style, and you are screwed. Of course, he may learn and open it up a little.

P.S. Anybody thinking Hawaii will be a sure W needs to look at how the Rainbows handled Washington and
Oregon State at home. They lost but it was close. Hawaii is a good home field team.
Bohls offensive style is already used by big boys, The correct question is can Bohl coach at the FBS level where the competition is harder.

I think he can but while this year looks solid so far outside of the top 10 massacres next year is going to be bad. I would would have preferred Bohl take over in 2015 instead of 2014. 90% of our defense is seniors it's going to be rough going next year.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote: Bohls offensive style is already used by big boys, The correct question is can Bohl coach at the FBS level where the competition is harder.

I think he can but while this year looks solid so far outside of the top 10 massacres next year is going to be bad. I would would have preferred Bohl take over in 2015 instead of 2014. 90% of our defense is seniors it's going to be rough going next year.
I'm not so sure. The execution we see on defense is much different than it was last year. Guys are in position to make the plays. They are constantly talking about justing attack angles and a whole host of other things. I don't think you will see a huge drop off in defense next year.

I don't know what will happen with our O-line our QB situation next year either. But any time those guys are moving the ball and not going 3 and out, they make our defense look even tougher than they really are.

I certainly hope Bohl can bring in some strong solid recruits!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

WyoBrandX wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: Bohls offensive style is already used by big boys, The correct question is can Bohl coach at the FBS level where the competition is harder.

I'm not so sure. The execution we see on defense is much different than it was last year. Guys are in position to make the plays. They are constantly talking about justing attack angles and a whole host of other things. I don't think you will see a huge drop off in defense next year.

I don't know what will happen with our O-line our QB situation next year either. But any time those guys are moving the ball and not going 3 and out, they make our defense look even tougher than they really are.

I certainly hope Bohl can bring in some strong solid recruits!
Too many high impact weekly players will be gone, It's going to be painful to replace them all in one year. I think we will be ok since we won't have 2 top 10 teams on the schedule but I expect to see a drop off just not sure how much of one.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote:One big question to ask: Does the Bohl offensive style translate to the big boys -- i.e., the FBS ?
I think it translates well - MSU is very similar to what Bohl is trying to model the cowboys after.

Adv8RU12 wrote: P.S. Anybody thinking Hawaii will be a sure W needs to look at how the Rainbows handled Washington and
Can't disagree with that. You can't pencil in a win on any team this year. If we hold up defensively, we will be in the game and possibly win it. Offensively, I don't think you can expect the Cowboys to score more than 3 times a game. All we can do is eat healthy, take our heart medication, and watch the games hoping they don't give us a heart attack!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Here's what the majority of us said before the season started:

1. "We are in trouble at the quarterback position."
2. "Our offensive line is extremely questionable"
3. "Bohl is a power run type of guy, doesn't currently have the players for his scheme yet."
4. "We stand no chance against Oregon and Michigan State."

So here we are, and here are our complaints:

1. "Colby Kirkegaard isn't good."
2. "We give up too many sacks, no protection."
3. "This system is too predictable."
4. "We just got blown out by Michigan State."

Why is everyone so shocked? This is going exactly how we predicted.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

You mean the system that schools like Alabama, LSU, Michigan State, etc. run? Yeah, it works.

Believe it or not, the spread offense (like what we just got rid of) is less successful among the "big boys" than this style of power offense.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote:
I think it translates well - MSU is very similar to what Bohl is trying to model the cowboys after.
"Michigan State and the style of football that they play, and how they play, is where we eventually want to be." -Craig Bohl, 9/27/14
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

ummm, yeah remember where you are at Craig
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:ummm, yeah remember where you are at Craig
It's a goal to strive for. And he did make a program that is still reaping the benefits of this goal at a smaller school that did take on some tough competition and win. No, I will not say KSU or ISU are anywhere near Oregon and MSU. But if that means he builds us up to where we are competing with the MSUs and Oregons in a few years, I will consider that progress towards that goal. We've seen what one year of good weight training has done. We are bigger, faster and stronger than any Cowboys team in recent memory. But we weren't there when you saw us on the field with MSU. They seriously dwarfed us in areas. But imagine this years class with four years of War Daddy training. We will be right up there with the strongest teams.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
stymeman wrote:ummm, yeah remember where you are at Craig
It's a goal to strive for. And he did make a program that is still reaping the benefits of this goal at a smaller school that did take on some tough competition and win. No, I will not say KSU or ISU are anywhere near Oregon and MSU. But if that means he builds us up to where we are competing with the MSUs and Oregons in a few years, I will consider that progress towards that goal. We've seen what one year of good weight training has done. We are bigger, faster and stronger than any Cowboys team in recent memory. But we weren't there when you saw us on the field with MSU. They seriously dwarfed us in areas. But imagine this years class with four years of War Daddy training. We will be right up there with the strongest teams.
Just to add to your comments, I believe the S & C program Wyoming players went through this summer is paying big dividends in the low number of (major) injuries considering the teams we have played so far this season. I hope like hell I haven't jinxed us by bringing this up.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.