What players do you think deserve more game time?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

I totally agree with Wacha playing instead of Harris. Man O Man, Wacha just flies around and makes plays. Nzeocha and Jordan are studs and I think that Wacha is a great contributor to these two guys.

I was watching the game and when Chase Appleby came in at DT/NT it was almost startling the size difference between him and everyone else on the line. I have no doubt that Appleby plays with a great amount of heart but he is so undersized for the interior DL that it is not funny. Would it maybe be a good time to work in some other guys like Sidney Malauulu?

I read that Ryan Cummings was almost ready to play when he tweaked a knee at practice. But Wyoming's OL NEEDS help. I also read that Cummings is someone that is really nasty and it might be a good time to give him some game time as well?

I am not against pulling a RS off of one of the Fr. QB's and the one that I have in mind is Nick Smith. I think that it would be good to give Colby some break and giving game experience to a freshman of the future can really pay dividends.

I was impressed with the play of Tim Kamana, and I hope that he starts again, and stays the starter.

I am not giving up on this season, on the contrary I am building for the future while building some great depth now.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote:I totally agree with Wacha playing instead of Harris. Man O Man, Wacha just flies around and makes plays. Nzeocha and Jordan are studs and I think that Wacha is a great contributor to these two guys.

I was watching the game and when Chase Appleby came in at DT/NT it was almost startling the size difference between him and everyone else on the line. I have no doubt that Appleby plays with a great amount of heart but he is so undersized for the interior DL that it is not funny. Would it maybe be a good time to work in some other guys like Sidney Malauulu?

I read that Ryan Cummings was almost ready to play when he tweaked a knee at practice. But Wyoming's OL NEEDS help. I also read that Cummings is someone that is really nasty and it might be a good time to give him some game time as well?

I am not against pulling a RS off of one of the Fr. QB's and the one that I have in mind is Nick Smith. I think that it would be good to give Colby some break and giving game experience to a freshman of the future can really pay dividends.

I was impressed with the play of Tim Kamana, and I hope that he starts again, and stays the starter.

I am not giving up on this season, on the contrary I am building for the future while building some great depth now.
Couldnt agree more. Its a bit perplexing to me he doesnt get more playing time. The only rationale I can muster is that there are too many seniors ahead of him. They get the nod due to seniority but he is easily the third best LB on the team.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Nobody besides Cummings. Colby is the best quarterback on the team period, the freshman are nowhere near ready to play and Thornton is worse as well. Wacha gets a decent amount of playing time and he would start if he was better. Harris is second on the team in tackles and is consistently a good player. This staff has shown the willingness to substitute in players who deserve it, hence the increased playing time of Kamana, and the two freshman corners. Bohl said Cummings would play if he heals up early enough.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Cummings definitely has size, but is he tackle or guard? I can't remember. And what about the kid from Idaho? In his highlights, it showed him just smacking down defenders. Even clotheslining a linebacker on a blitz.

But yeah, o-line needs all the help they can get. We're very thin and struggle with pass blocking.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Wacha needs to play. He is a stud and a gamer. He has proven that. I wouldn't mind seeing someone at corner besides DeAndre Jones, he struggles to tackle.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

More Wacha. More Wick, less May.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I think wick and may are a great tandom and offer different skill sets. I think by sharing carries the way they do, they increase the chances of staying healthy.

I would be curious to see wacha as a safety. I'm not sure how much he has grown in a season but he was a very undersized linebacker last year.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BeaverPoke wrote:More Wacha. More Wick, less May.
Wick is a great runner, but lacks the real break away speed that May has, so I'd say if we go shotgun formations, or have runningback designed thows like screen plays, I'd put May in there. But if it's for power running or pass protection, put Wick in. This utilizes both backs to their best strengths. Wick has proven that he can run on the best defense in the country and May has shown enough speed to out run even Oregon in the passing game.

A question for anyone in the know; I know Kirk isn't much of a runner, but what about the transfer QB? Would we be able to run some read option next year with him?
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I don't think this offensive staff values a duel threat qb the same way a spread offense does. I don't see them running a read option much.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I don't think this offensive staff values a duel threat qb the same way a spread offense does. I don't see them running a read option much.
I think they did from the pistol at NDSU. Still, it never hurts to have a QB that can take off.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I won't pretend to "know" anything. It's just a conjecture. I guess it probably depends on the skill set of the qb. If Brett were here , I can't see us not utilizing his speed.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

#14 Tyran Finley

He was the best DB on the team last fall (started against Nebraska) - and now he barely sees the field. His knee either never recovered, or he pissed somebody off. His replacement is awful.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

I would like to see some younger corners get game experience (particularly Finley). DeAndre Jones is simply over his head.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I thin one player I'm curious about is Finley at corner. Everyone was talking about his elite speed last year until he got hurt. What's up with him?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I thin one player I'm curious about is Finley at corner. Everyone was talking about his elite speed last year until he got hurt. What's up with him?
Something happened to him. He pissed off somebody, or didn't rehab enough, or is perma-damaged. He was head and shoulders above anyone on the field at CB fall of 2013. And on punt returns as well...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
mwc fan
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:More Wacha. More Wick, less May.
Wick is a great runner, but lacks the real break away speed that May has, so I'd say if we go shotgun formations, or have runningback designed thows like screens id put May in there. But if it's for power running or pass protection, put Wick in. This utilizes both backs to their best strengths. Wick has proven that he can run on the best defense in the country and May has shown enough speed to out run even Oregon in the passing game.

A question for anyone in the know; I know Kirk isn't much of a runner, but what about the transfer QB? Would we be able to run some read option next year with him?
No question that May is fast, but what good is straight ahead speed if he can't get to the the second level consistently? Wick can get to the second level against any team. In fact he leads all Mountain West backs in runs of over 20+ yards and second in runs of 10+ yards, according to CFB stats site. He needs to get a minimum of 20 carries a game. I do agree May is excellent in space and that is Vigen's job. I dont think he's managing the flow of the game well. When you bust a big run you have to keep attacking the defense over and over. We aren't doing that at all, besides the Montana game. We have one of the best backs in the MWC and he isn't getting the ball enough.
As for our Defense, Devyn Harris should be the starter, Wacha is small and can't get off blocks consitantly. I do think there are packages where he should be in though. His speed is an attribute. Now looking back at the MSU game Tim Kamana was absolutely lost. He was constantly late filling run lanes and was guessing on pass protection. He was responsible for at least 3-4 touch downs. I think he has potential, but not yet and not at that level. I may be wrong on lot of stuff but this is my opinion based of watching games and looking at situational stats.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I won't pretend to "know" anything. It's just a conjecture. I guess it probably depends on the skill set of the qb. If Brett were here , I can't see us not utilizing his speed.
next year sure won't be exciting neither if those younger 2 QB's don't see some kind of P.T. I guess we truly were spoiled with how special Brett was, and I'm sure he's sitting somewhere just wishing he'd still be in Laramie, except the O Line can protect any better than b4. I really think thats where our team could make huge strides in getting athletic O linemen that know their assignments and keep people off Colby's mug. conference will be interesting but if this D can't tackle and O line can protect, then it's yet again another "medocre" year, year in and year out
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

stymeman wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:I won't pretend to "know" anything. It's just a conjecture. I guess it probably depends on the skill set of the qb. If Brett were here , I can't see us not utilizing his speed.
next year sure won't be exciting neither if those younger 2 QB's don't see some kind of P.T. I guess we truly were spoiled with how special Brett was, and I'm sure he's sitting somewhere just wishing he'd still be in Laramie, except the O Line can protect any better than b4. I really think thats where our team could make huge strides in getting athletic O linemen that know their assignments and keep people off Colby's mug. conference will be interesting but if this D can't tackle and O line can protect, then it's yet again another "medocre" year, year in and year out
We'll be watching Cameron Coffman next year.

mwc fan
Cowpoke

stymeman wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:I won't pretend to "know" anything. It's just a conjecture. I guess it probably depones on the skill set of the qb. If Brett were here , I can't see us not utilizing his speed.

We do have the Indiana Qb next year and a favorable schedule. So things wont be all bad. Filling the spots of nine seniors on defense is what worries me.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

mwc fan wrote:
stymeman wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:I won't pretend to "know" anything. It's just a conjecture. I guess it probably depones on the skill set of the qb. If Brett were here , I can't see us not utilizing his speed.

We do have the Indiana Qb next year and a favorable schedule. So things wont be all bad. Filling the spots of nine seniors on defense is what worries me.

How much worse can we get? Actually, don't answer that. Frightening to contemplate.

In all seriousness, it has to be pretty rare to be this bad defensively with 9 senior starters.