Sorry but I am just not a fan of Colby's

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I agree with you guys... I just don't think its productive to the team to highlight it on social media.

let him take some snaps against mountain west teams.

I can say from experience, the freshman qbs on the team, probably are not ready with the x's and o's of our playbook. young and thorton... who knows what their deal is. probably poor decisions in practice, trying to change the play when they shouldn't.

but since Colby was named the starter, none of the other qb's have taken ANY meaningful snaps with the number 1's. So, I doubt they are polished.

and remember, whether you guys want to hear it or not... football is about earning your time. we may think that thorton could provide better quality. but we don't know that for sure. we assume that fort or smith could come in and go throw for 65%... but I highly doubt that is the reality.

do we know if any of the qb's have the ability to read the defense instead of eye humping the receiver... I expect that is a program wide sickness. coach Christensen didn't coach his qb's that way. he wanted the ball out fast.

as fans we need to reel-in the expectations a bit.

breaking old habits, very hard. in fact, the best way to break them is during the season, when the fans are watching.

so, actually, maybe you guys should talk and complain louder. maybe we can get through to Colby.

ive seen enough, however, to determine that he is our guy. we just need more consistent play. but that is at all positions. Why aren't we bitching about Yarborough. f-word dude hasn't had one sack. We should pull his ass. Im so not impressed with Yarborough. Im just not pleased with his play. what a total let down. all mountain west my ass, maybe we should split time with one of the freshman. I could go on and on. you people wouldn't like it.

Get what im saying. It doesn't do us any damn good.
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

I have been pleasantly surprised with Colby all things considered.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I get what you're saying and all, and I'd be fine and dandy with Colby at Qb, but the f-word fumbles and picks are non stop.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

mwc fan wrote:I get what you're saying and all, and I'd be fine and dandy with Colby at Qb, but the f-word fumbles and picks are non stop.
at the wrong times during a drive, that's what kills me most
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

stymeman wrote:
mwc fan wrote:I get what you're saying and all, and I'd be fine and dandy with Colby at Qb, but the f-word fumbles and picks are non stop.
at the wrong times during a drive, that's what kills me most
Is there ever a good time for a pick or fumble during a drive? I suppose if you're in 3rd and 25 around midfield, getting picked inside of the 10 isn't bad if your receiver makes a tackle, but otherwise?
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

stymeman wrote:he reminds me of when i was in school, Tom Corontzos, who folded in the pocket like a cheap suit as well. if he'd try to do a few more things Colby would be ok, but he really hasn't shown me much either, drives or no drives
Corontzos started for 3 years for a coach, Joe Tiller, who knew QB's. He rated as a top 6 passer in the NCAA his last season.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... zos-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/sp ... 12aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This was from 2011, so Brett may have passed him on a couple of these ratings.

"Hailing from Great Falls, Mont., Tom Corontzos finished his career as statistically one of the best quarterbacks in Wyoming football history. He closed his time in Laramie in the top three of four different passing categories. His 7,945 yards is the second-most in a UW career. He is No. 3 on the career pass attempts (1066) and completions (579). Corontzos also threw 48 touchdown passes during his career which is the third-most in UW history. His best season as a Cowboy came in 1990, when he threw for 2,956 yards on 211 attempts, it is the seventh-best single-season output by a Cowboy quarterback."
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I agree with the fumbles, 4 through 5 games is excessive. But as far as picks go, he isn't doing that bad, he only has 4 INTs through 5 games, of the 11 starting QBs in the MWC, 6 have just as many or more INTs than Kirk.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
I agree with the fumbles, 4 through 5 games is excessive. But as far as picks go, he isn't doing that bad, he only has 4 INTs through 5 games, of the 11 starting QBs in the MWC, 6 have just as many or more INTs than Kirk.
Yep. Boise's QB has had 5 against Air Force alone.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Ok here's a question for you. would you take Hedrick with all his picks this season or Colby?
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
cowboyz wrote:I have become a fan of Colby. No one was expecting great things from Colby, in fact, most didn't even think he was going to be our starting QB. He's not lighting the scoreboard up, but that's as much by design as anything else. We all knew what we were getting from Bohl. In half his games at NDS they scored in the twenties or less, and they were winning. I imagine the game plan this season is to be fairly risk averse and carry out what he knows, what he can teach and what he feels this squad can manage.

I mentioned this a couple days ago, but look at the competition we've faced. Not what we thought we were facing before the season started, but how it's actually playing out. All of the few losses our opponents have suffered this year have been to very powerful teams or Wyoming. When our opponents have played nationally ranked teams they've lost, but they have beaten every un-ranked team they've faced, short of Wyoming. I'm not saying Colby is shooting for the Heisman or that we'll be ranked any time soon, but he's sure been able to beat the beatable teams put in front of him. And you can't dismiss the comebacks. They were huge. We don't want fumbles and interceptions, but hell, Brett had 11 Int's during our last good season in 2011, with 5 after the 5th game. Hopefully with the quality of competition closer to where we are, going forward, Colby's Ints will reduce.

If he just gets a bit better after each game as the season moves on, I'll be very satisfied. With ALL things considered, I'd give him a B for the year so far.
"He's not lighting the scoreboard up, but that's as much by design as anything else." With all due respect...are you kidding me! It is by design that the Pokes are not lighting the scoreboard up???? I thought that it was the objective of the offense to score on each and every possession. Will an offense? Absolutely not, but I have never read someone say that it is by design that an offense ISN'T lighting up (in other words scoring) the scoreboard! I bet if you asked VIgen he wouldn't say it was by design that Wyoming wasn't lighting up the scoreboard!

With 3 of their first 5 games at home and the most that they have scored in anyone of them is 20 points! That is pretty sad. That is an offense that is very ineffective. On top of this Colby has taken many sacks, fumbled
the ball more than a few times and thrown 4 interceptions. The guy is averaging 1 TD pass per game, at this rate he will have 12 by the end of the season....I can't think that any coach will say that this is by design!

With all due respect I would give Colby a D to D+
By lighting the scoreboard up by design I was referring to the fact that we hired a coach that grinds things out, not a coach that's known as an offensive guru. I followed that sentence up with the fact that NDS with Bohl scored small amounts of points quite often, then gave my opinion that the staff is going with what they think this offense (and Colby) can execute. So by design I don't mean they don't want to score, but that it's the the staffs style what they are willing to put in the game plan.

I also brought up the fact that the teams we have played are a lot tougher than we expected.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

mwc fan wrote:Ok here's a question for you. would you take Hedrick with all his picks this season or Colby?
Colby. Hedrick had 5 against Air Force alone. And and 4 more against Ole Miss. Colby had 0 against Air Force, and hasn't thrown more than 2 in a single game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

If Colby was our only problem, he really wouldn't be a problem. Needs to shore up the fumbles, though.

There is no practice that gets a QB used to game speed. That is why college superstar QBs rarely excel their first playing year in the pros.

Not as big of leap for Colby (as college QB going to pro), but some of the things like staring down receivers, pocket awareness, interceptions, etc. can be overcome with experience. I've actually thought his throws are improving a little. He still makes bonehead mistakes, but, overall, I would stick with him. If we get past a few more games and hit a brick wall in terms of development, then, yeah, give someone else a shot. Until then, I agree with the coaches and let's see how he does against MWC-level competition.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.