Sorry but I am just not a fan of Colby's

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Before the season started, I said that I felt that the QB position was a true weakness for Wyoming and unfortunately after the first 5 games I feel that it is.

I certainly wish that I could say that Colby had surprised me but unfortunately I have to say that he has played like I thought that he would. I have no doubt that Colby is a great young man and this has nothing to do with him as a person or as a student, I am simply looking at his on field performance and I would have to rate Colby as a "serviceable" QB.

Unfortunately Colby has thrown too many Int's (4) and has fumbled the ball too many times, and taken way too many sacks. Not all of the sacks are on the OL, some of them are on QB and Colby hasn't found the ability earlier in the season to throw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack. Granted Wyoming has played two top teams and this skews the stats some, but when you look at Colby's and the Wyoming offenses stats up until this time, it just shows an offense that simply has not ever clicked or gotten going. Wyoming doesn't have a game where they have scored over 20 points! That isn't an impressive number. Secondly, Wyoming's offense through 5 games has just 85 first downs vs 110 for the opponents. Wyoming has 33 rushing first downs and 47 passing first downs (5 by penalty) while the opponents have had 55 first downs by rushing and 52 first downs by passing.

Wyoming's offense has 1007 passing yards for the season and the opponents have 1033 passing yards, so this is almost identical. But Wyoming's defense has not had an interception while Wyoming has given up 4 interceptions. Colby has only thrown 5 TD's for the season while throwing 4 Int's, the last thing you want is an almost 50-50 split for TD's to Int's.

To Colby's credit he has thrown some really nice balls from time to time and has made two final winning drives for Wyoming during this season. But you can't have an offense that sputters and fails to score as much as Wyoming's does in order to have a truly successful season, and then giving up as many turnovers as Colby has done has really hurt as well. We have acouple of truly wonderful ball carriers on the team (Wick and May) and we need someone that can be more explosive at the QB position imo. Wyoming's offense REALLY needs to start scoring some more points and that means consistency and play making at the QB position that we just aren't seeing. I am not saying to not play Colby, but just start splitting playing time with maybe one of the freshmen.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The ONLY thing I'm disappointed with from Colby so far is the turnovers. If he can eliminate that problem, we'll be okay.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I love how people state the obvious. Of course qb is our weak link and of course Colby is "serviceable" but he was our 4th string qb last year.

Had Brett or Jason stayed our team would have the explosive talent at qb, but they left. If we had someone better then Colby they would be playing.

All things considered I can't complain too loud because he has been better then I expected. I was truly prepared for a year where the qb was a revolving door of ineptitude and he has done well enough to put us in a position to win all the games we should be in and I am just thankful for that.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I agree with you. A lot of folks say he's our only viable option at this point, but really how do we know that for sure? Some players are not practice guys and are straight up gamers. I wonder if Thornton, Smith or even the New York JC kid could manage the game better and stop with the stupid turnovers. Hell the fumble on the hand off to May was straight up embarrassing. Colby didn't even get to the proper spot for the mesh or May went to the wrong hole, who knows. I remember the Nevada game 3 years ago when Colby turned the wrong way to hand the ball off on a critical 3rd and 2 that would've iced the game. We should've at least played one other Qb in the 4th Qtr for the Oregon and MSU game. If any other player had this many turnovers he'd be on the pine. Look at what happened to the Boise Qb.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I think Bohl knows what he is doing. He knows long-term Smith or Fort or even Coffman maybe. Next year's schedule is very favorable for Wyoming.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

he reminds me of when i was in school, Tom Corontzos, who folded in the pocket like a cheap suit as well. if he'd try to do a few more things Colby would be ok, but he really hasn't shown me much either, drives or no drives
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

My only problem is that he hasn't eliminated the "stupid mistake" turnovers. If he would just be a little more cautious with the ball I would think he's doing an excellent job. He just insists on turning it over unecessarily a couple of times a game.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I have become a fan of Colby. No one was expecting great things from Colby, in fact, most didn't even think he was going to be our starting QB. He's not lighting the scoreboard up, but that's as much by design as anything else. We all knew what we were getting from Bohl. In half his games at NDS they scored in the twenties or less, and they were winning. I imagine the game plan this season is to be fairly risk averse and carry out what he knows, what he can teach and what he feels this squad can manage.

I mentioned this a couple days ago, but look at the competition we've faced. Not what we thought we were facing before the season started, but how it's actually playing out. All of the few losses our opponents have suffered this year have been to very powerful teams or Wyoming. When our opponents have played nationally ranked teams they've lost, but they have beaten every un-ranked team they've faced, short of Wyoming. I'm not saying Colby is shooting for the Heisman or that we'll be ranked any time soon, but he's sure been able to beat the beatable teams put in front of him. And you can't dismiss the comebacks. They were huge. We don't want fumbles and interceptions, but hell, Brett had 11 Int's during our last good season in 2011, with 5 after the 5th game. Hopefully with the quality of competition closer to where we are, going forward, Colby's Ints will reduce.

If he just gets a bit better after each game as the season moves on, I'll be very satisfied. With ALL things considered, I'd give him a B for the year so far.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

mwc fan wrote:I agree with you. A lot of folks say he's our only viable option at this point, but really how do we know that for sure?
How do WE know? We don't, because we aren't the ones at practice every day. The coaches are. If the coaches thought someone else could do a better job, they would play him.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
PCB
Ranch Hand

Not the best at pocket awareness but has proven he can throw the long ball with great accuracy. He does have a not so good OL. I like the kid.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
mwc fan wrote:I agree with you. A lot of folks say he's our only viable option at this point, but really how do play know that for sure?
How do WE know? We don't, because we aren't the ones at practice every day. The coaches are. If the coaches thought someone else could do a better job, they would play him.
Right coaches never overlook players, ever! Are you friggen serious? for Godsake coach Bohl just admitted today he underestimated the big play ability of Wick in his press conference today. They dont know what every player is capable of in game time situations. Come on!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

cowboyz wrote:I have become a fan of Colby. No one was expecting great things from Colby, in fact, most didn't even think he was going to be our starting QB. He's not lighting the scoreboard up, but that's as much by design as anything else. We all knew what we were getting from Bohl. In half his games at NDS they scored in the twenties or less, and they were winning. I imagine the game plan this season is to be fairly risk averse and carry out what he knows, what he can teach and what he feels this squad can manage.

I mentioned this a couple days ago, but look at the competition we've faced. Not what we thought we were facing before the season started, but how it's actually playing out. All of the few losses our opponents have suffered this year have been to very powerful teams or Wyoming. When our opponents have played nationally ranked teams they've lost, but they have beaten every un-ranked team they've faced, short of Wyoming. I'm not saying Colby is shooting for the Heisman or that we'll be ranked any time soon, but he's sure been able to beat the beatable teams put in front of him. And you can't dismiss the comebacks. They were huge. We don't want fumbles and interceptions, but hell, Brett had 11 Int's during our last good season in 2011, with 5 after the 5th game. Hopefully with the quality of competition closer to where we are, going forward, Colby's Ints will reduce.

If he just gets a bit better after each game as the season moves on, I'll be very satisfied. With ALL things considered, I'd give him a B for the year so far.
"He's not lighting the scoreboard up, but that's as much by design as anything else." With all due respect...are you kidding me! It is by design that the Pokes are not lighting the scoreboard up???? I thought that it was the objective of the offense to score on each and every possession. Will an offense? Absolutely not, but I have never read someone say that it is by design that an offense ISN'T lighting up (in other words scoring) the scoreboard! I bet if you asked VIgen he wouldn't say it was by design that Wyoming wasn't lighting up the scoreboard!

With 3 of their first 5 games at home and the most that they have scored in anyone of them is 20 points! That is pretty sad. That is an offense that is very ineffective. On top of this Colby has taken many sacks, fumbled
the ball more than a few times and thrown 4 interceptions. The guy is averaging 1 TD pass per game, at this rate he will have 12 by the end of the season....I can't think that any coach will say that this is by design!

With all due respect I would give Colby a D to D+
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

so who are you bitching at there chief?

Kolby, Coach B, Coach V?

why are you not bitching at coach C, or brett smith, or Jason Thompson. they are the ones that f-word this qb situation up. We had eligibility of good qbs... who are now riding the bench somewhere.

we have the best qb on the team playing.

year one man!!! I would love for us to win every game... but we haven't gone undefeated in like... um ever.

if in year 4-5, our team is still turning it over and scoring under 20 points, then cry us a god damn river.

you know why I like kolby? because he is the guy trying to hold this crap rebuild together and manage to make a bohl game.

there are teams that have to have a star quarterback to succeed, then there are teams that can succeed with any quarterback.

and im not trying to come off like a prick, sorry for that. I just don't see any good from this post, its a bye week, and this post will be viewed by probably Kolby. on top of that, we are in the hunt for the mwc race, and starting a freshman, or "splitting" time with a freshman qb... that is the talk of a madman. seriously. that would go over like a turd in a punch bohl. consistent coaching and proof that loyalty goes both ways, does wonders for the program.

now if kolby singlehandedly losses a game, then we can reconsider.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I'm just entertained by all of this.

Someone thinks they deserve some kind of kudos for seeing that QB was our weakness before the season.

EVERYBODY KNEW THAT. Not even an exaggeration. Quite literally everyone.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

carbonpoke wrote:so who are you bitching at there chief?

Kolby, Coach B, Coach V?

why are you not bitching at coach C, or brett smith, or Jason Thompson. they are the ones that f-word this qb situation up. We had eligibility of good qbs... who are now riding the bench somewhere.

we have the best qb on the team playing.

year one man!!! I would love for us to win every game... but we haven't gone undefeated in like... um ever.

if in year 4-5, our team is still turning it over and scoring under 20 points, then cry us a god damn river.

you know why I like kolby? because he is the guy trying to hold this crap rebuild together and manage to make a bohl game.

there are teams that have to have a star quarterback to succeed, then there are teams that can succeed with any quarterback.

and im not trying to come off like a prick, sorry for that. I just don't see any good from this post, its a bye week, and this post will be viewed by probably Kolby. on top of that, we are in the hunt for the mwc race, and starting a freshman, or "splitting" time with a freshman qb... that is the talk of a madman. seriously. that would go over like a turd in a punch bohl. consistent coaching and proof that loyalty goes both ways, does wonders for the program.

now if kolby singlehandedly losses a game, then we can reconsider.
I am not bitching at anyone. I am just making some observations based upon stats. At the bottom of my original post I said I think that it would be a good thing to give some young QB some field time, could pay big dividends in the future. If Colby is the best that we have right now, we are in a world of hurt. I would be very surprised to not see Coffman start next year. I was just amazed that someone would attempt to make an argument for the fact that it is by design that Wyoming isn't lighting up the scoreboard. I heard Bohl say that Vigen and the other offensive coaches were racking their brains to get plays that would give us less 3rd and longs. I would imagine that what cowboyz tried to say was that by design the offense was bland and that they are holding back some of the plays because Colby and the rest of the offense can't handle it. By every comment from Bohl he made the statement that all of the offense had been put in play, so I find that argument pretty hard to defend. The bottom line is that you have to have a special play maker and we simply don't have one. I am not trying to be mean just state the obvious.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:I'm just entertained by all of this.

Someone thinks they deserve some kind of kudos for seeing that QB was our weakness before the season.

Talk about reading something into a post, that is you. There were a number of people that didn't buy into the notion that we had a weakness at QB, they argued that all we needed was someone to "manage" the offense and that Colby would be fine. I never mentioned anything about wanting kudos...that came out of you.

I couldn't care less about getting any kudos, but apparently you do, so if I get any I will give them to you.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:

Talk about reading something into a post, that is you. There were a number of people that didn't buy into the notion that we had a weakness at QB, they argued that all we needed was someone to "manage" the offense and that Colby would be fine. I never mentioned anything about wanting kudos...that came out of you.

I couldn't care less about getting any kudos, but apparently you do, so if I get any I will give them to you.
:popcorn: I've missed PCP
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:

Yeah, sorry, probably did read too much into it.

For real though, it should be no surprise to anyone that Colby isn't the best QB around. We knew that, we feared that, and now we're living it.

The problem is that in most situations, flip flopping between 2 quarterbacks isn't good for a team.

I'd even say that those who said we just needed a game manager aren't necessarily wrong. We aren't getting a game manager, game managers don't turn the ball over.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I have to say, that nobody on this board can really appreciate how difficult Colby's task is.

Two years ago he was a back up qb to Brett smith and saw one full game of play and very little game speed otherwise .

The following year he is the 4th string qb and saw no game speed snaps.

Now he is thrust into being a starting qb with only one full game of division one snaps and is expected to fill the shoes of Brett smith. Oh... And he has to do it under a new offensive scheme drastically different then the spread.

I have been pleasantly surprised that he has had the composure to lead us to two fourth quarter comebacks and three wins already.

He is cowboy tough and is giving us all he has. In my mind that's all I can ask.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I have to say, that nobody on this board can really appreciate how difficult Colby's task is.

Two years ago he was a back up qb to Brett smith and saw one full game of play and very little game speed otherwise .

The following year he is the 4th string qb and saw no game speed snaps.

Now he is thrust into being a starting qb with only one full game of division one snaps and is expected to fill the shoes of Brett smith. Oh... And he has to do it under a new offensive scheme drastically different then the spread.

I have been pleasantly surprised that he has had the composure to lead us to two fourth quarter comebacks and three wins already.

He is cowboy tough and is giving us all he has. In my mind that's all I can ask.
Most of the complaints about Colby have nothing to do with how hard his job his. It has to do with simple fundamentals that over a QB Career at multiple levels a person should have as a basic understanding of the position. No one is asking him to beat Oregon or Michigan State.

We are asking that he make 2-3 reads and not staring down his receiver. Maybe try to sell a fake or hand off so you draw a small amount of respect from the defense. Either he lacks these fundamentals or it's been so long since he has used them he just completely forgot them.

I can respect that as an athlete he is far and away better than me and I'd never try to dispute that. What I find mind boggling is after 5 years in College he still looks like a Freshman on the field. Even as a backup give me 5 years in a position and I'm going to learn something I can use.