About the Inidana QB transfer;

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

1. It seems he's a good passer, how was he back at Indiana?
2. Is he a dual threat QB? If he is, it makes the offense that more potent.
3. How is he at reading defenses, in that, does he go through his progressions, or does he just stare down his target?
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Did I miss the memo about an Indiana qb transfer? Who is he?
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:Did I miss the memo about an Indiana qb transfer? Who is he?
Cameron Coffman

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mt ... 08004.html
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

fromolwyoming wrote:1. It seems he's a good passer, how was he back at Indiana?
In 14 games at Indiana, he passed for 2763 yards, 59% completion rate, 15 TDs, and 12 INTs and 1 rushing TD.

2. Is he a dual threat QB? If he is, it makes the offense that more potent.
Indiana doesn't really employ much of a dual threat system so he didn't rush a lot there, but it looks like in high school he ran for almost 700 yards and 8 TDs, so he can run a little at least.

3. How is he at reading defenses, in that, does he go through his progressions, or does he just stare down his target?
No clue, decent stats for Indiana, given their lack of success he might be talented.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Good to know. I don't know how I missed this but seems like a good pick up .
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

He was 2nd in the Big 10 in passing as a sophomore. Obviously he played on a team with a crappy defense and was in a lot of situations where they were trying to throw, but he still performed quite well against a very high level of competition.

Not really a running threat, but he is more mobile than Kirkegaard and should be a great fit with what we are trying to do.

It's interesting that he ended up at Wyoming with Bohl. I remember when he was a HS recruit and we offered and it was thought we were in the running as DC had coached his brother Chase (big time TE at Missouri) and his sister Camille was on the Volleyball team here at UW. However, he ended up with a number of high level offers including Iowa State, Arizona State, and Kansas State (his other brother Carson was the starting QB at KSU at that time). Then his recruitment got really quiet.

I was never sure what happened with his recruitment, but he eventually ended up at a JC in Arizona for a year where he had a big year and signed with Indiana. He performed well as a sophomore but was beaten out in the QB competition the following year.

I think he will be a great for us personally. Has been successful everywhere from HS to JC to the Big 10 (to a point) and comes from a very successful athletic family (his siblings noted above, his father played in the NFL). I look forward to watching him next year.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Oh Crap, I didn't know he was Chase Coffman ' s brother! Well that's a pretty darn good pedigree. I'm feeling a lot better about next season, along with our much easier OOC games we should be in good shape offensively.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I like Coffman. I think he can/will do what he needs to do under Bohl.

My concern for next year is lack of experience. New QB (again), but our schedule is favorable next year. If we can get the right guys in place, next year is the year we could maybe finally hit that 8 win season.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

A couple of other random notes on Coffman:

1. His top receiver in 2012 at IU was Cody Lattimer. Lattimer is now with the Broncos and while he hasn't played yet he appears to have a strong future as a slot receiver possibly replacing Welker long term.

2. In 2012 against Michigan State he was 33/48 for 282 with 3 TDs and 0 INT as Indiana scored 27 against MSU. That's notable because it was the 2nd highest point total given up by the Spartans that year (they gave up 28 to Nebraska). That MSU team wasn't as good as this year's but it was still a monster defense.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Looks like smith and fort may not see the field until 2016
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Coffman is exactly what we need to springboard into next season. Stud.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

djm19 wrote:I like Coffman. I think he can/will do what he needs to do under Bohl.

My concern for next year is lack of experience. New QB (again), but our schedule is favorable next year. If we can get the right guys in place, next year is the year we could maybe finally hit that 8 win season.
Maybe we will hit that mark this season.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:
djm19 wrote:I like Coffman. I think he can/will do what he needs to do under Bohl.

Maybe we will hit that mark this season.
I didnt want to be the only one thinking that...
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Cam is a freaking Stud!
SlowPoke
Buckaroo

Coffman doesn't seem like a typical Bohl QB. In the past Bohl has gone for the game manager, keep it on the ground, run the clock, throw just enough to keep defense honest type quarterback.

This June 2013 article http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... api_public evaluating Indiana QBs characterizes Coffman: "Both Coffman and Sudfeld are pass-first quarterbacks who can effectively run Indiana's up-tempo, high-percentage-pass driven offense, but each has his unique style."

The IU starter in 2012 was Tre Roberson, a redshirt freshman, who broke his leg in Week 2 of the 2012 season, thereby allowing Coffman to get significant playing time in 2012. However, as the 2013 season rolled around, "Coach Kevin Wilson decided on Roberson over Cameron Coffman and Nate Sudfeld after saying that all three had played very well in practice and that there was little separation between them. Starting Roberson makes sense, as he was the team's starter last year before breaking his leg in Week 2, and he has more running ability than either Coffman or Sudfeld. However, Sudfeld and Coffman are viewed as more accurate passers." FTA: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... api_public

For Coffman to win the Poke's starting job in 2015, he will have to adjust from the spread, up-tempo offence Big 10 offense to a West Coast style of play and from IU's shotgun to playing under center. But sitting out the 2014 season will give him some time to adapt and learn. From the Hoosier Scoop: "Citing a desire for more playing time, Coffman said he wants to wind up at a program where he “can compete against someone who’s never had a starting job.”

It appears that the Pokes may have 4 qbs in 4 years as Bohl recruits his class for the 2016 season.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

1 this year, and most likely Coffman next year, but who'll be the 1 year starter after Coffman?
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:1 this year, and most likely Coffman next year, but who'll be the 1 year starter after Coffman?
I assume he meant overall, including Smith last year:

2013 - Smith
2014 - Kirkegaard
2015 - Coffman
2016 - TBD

I think that looks like the most likely scenario.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Slow Hand wrote:Cam is a freaking Stud!

I know you mentioned previously that you were pretty impressed with him. Definitely seems to put the QB position in good hands for at least a year and gives the coaching staff time to groom either one of the current freshman or a 2015 signee.
wyoforever
Buckaroo

NowherePoke wrote:He was 2nd in the Big 10 in passing as a sophomore. Obviously he played on a team with a crappy defense and was in a lot of situations where they were trying to throw, but he still performed quite well against a very high level of competition.

Not really a running threat, but he is more mobile than Kirkegaard and should be a great fit with what we are trying to do.

It's interesting that he ended up at Wyoming with Bohl. I remember when he was a HS recruit and we offered and it was thought we were in the running as DC had coached his brother Chase (big time TE at Missouri) and his sister Camille was on the Volleyball team here at UW. However, he ended up with a number of high level offers including Iowa State, Arizona State, and Kansas State (his other brother Carson was the starting QB at KSU at that time). Then his recruitment got really quiet.

I was never sure what happened with his recruitment, but he eventually ended up at a JC in Arizona for a year where he had a big year and signed with Indiana. He performed well as a sophomore but was beaten out in the QB competition the following year.

I think he will be a great for us personally. Has been successful everywhere from HS to JC to the Big 10 (to a point) and comes from a very successful athletic family (his siblings noted above, his father played in the NFL). I look forward to watching him next year.
"then his recruitment got real quiet…"
I believe the story is that he was led to believe he would get a scholarship at Alabama. The Alabama OC at the time was Jim McElwain, now CSU Head Coach, who thought one of his QB's was going to transfer. He led Cam to believe that the QB transfer was definitely going to happen and Cam would get the scholly once it opened up. Cam waited for the offer while other QB's committed at the places he was offered. At the last minute McElwain told Cam the QB he thought was going to transfer actually was staying and there was no offer. All of Cam's other offers including Wyoming were off the table by that time and he ended up at JC.
(see http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

If Cam plays next year, this will make a great Mike Vorel story when we play CSU.