Is this a 5 year plan? Or longer?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

I don't think that UW football will be MWC contenders (if there still is a MWC) in the near future (next 4 or so seasons). Bohl's first recruiting class was greatly impacted by the month-plus farewell tour...and I think it will take 3 solid recruiting classes to get to the point where UW can compete. That is, if Stanard & Vigen prove to be capable at their coordinator positions - that jury is still out.

Will the fanbase be patient enough to find out? Been a trying and tired 20 years...going on 25. :(
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I agree that it'll take a couple of recruiting seasons to get the guys we want and to develop the guys we already have into guys we need.

Im not sure a majority of the fan base has the patience. Just look at the reaction to our game at UH. Folks are up in arms after losing a game to a team several time zones behind, at their house where they always play tough. Fans got their expectations up after a couple of games, and were devastated when things didn't turn out the way they expected.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I think it's safe to say the next 3 years we have the opportunity to go to Bowl games but will have to win the games we should win. But there is no way we contend for a title until there is speed in the secondary and a QB leading the offense properly.

I'm guessing 2018 before we see anything major but who knows so far the coaching staff has only had one year with a bunch of under developed players. It is possible that they can make something out of some of them. Can't coach speed that I see as an issue and it has to be recruited.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I thought it was agreed upon to give Bohl and staff at least 3 years to get things going, like having a solid 8-4 season in 3 years or so and then going bowling on a consistent basis. We all figured this season would be pretty rough before it began. Mainly because it's the first season switching to a pro style offense (after 5 years of recruiting and playing in the spread) and the modified tampa 2 defense (as opposed to the bend and then constantly break defense that DC employed throughout his time here). Next year will also be pretty rough because we graduate a ton of starters and backups. By year 3 though, his first recruiting class will be juniors and we should be seeing signs of where the team is heading.

All that said, we do have some promising players for the upcoming years. Wick and May will both be here next year, and both are solid, plus Brian Hill will have a year's experience and development. We have 3 other freshmen o-linemen redshirting, and if they show as much promise as Ryan Cummings, our o-line will actually begin to look like a decent o-line. We also have the nation's leading rusher coming in next year, and an experienced and decent looking QB to take over the reigns next year while the freshmen continue to learn the system. On defense, we'll actually have players developed by a staff that actually cares about defense, giving them the chance that defenders over the last 5 years did not; to be developed and taught a true defensive strategy.

So give Bohl and staff time to get things going, because outside a few positions, they inherited a severely underdeveloped team on both sides of the ball.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I'm waiting to see what happens on Saturday. I don't think we are 5 years away.....but it will take time to change the losing culture. We currently stand at .500 overall and .500 in conference. We just played at the most extreme road game we'll see in terms on time, travel, weather, etc. The season is far from over...and I expect improvement game to game.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

McPeachy wrote:I don't think that UW football will be MWC contenders (if there still is a MWC) in the near future (next 4 or so seasons). Bohl's first recruiting class was greatly impacted by the month-plus farewell tour...and I think it will take 3 solid recruiting classes to get to the point where UW can compete. That is, if Stanard & Vigen prove to be capable at their coordinator positions - that jury is still out.

Will the fanbase be patient enough to find out? Been a trying and tired 20 years...going on 25. :(
So when I look at this team now, we are at the bottom of the conference talent wise. Maybe UNLV and New Mexico are where we are. Yeah, at least 3 recruiting classes to see how it plays out. To your second point, if there is doubt as to the survival of the Mountain West, then Bohl's job might become just about impossible. How do you recruit when you don't even know who your opponents will be?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

I don't think it takes 5 years to compete in MWC. 5 years to challenge solid P5 schools? Yes. 5 years to build a steady program? Likely. 5 years to compete? Not a chance. We will compete next year.

There is no indication that the MWC is in an upward trend. There isn't a team good enough that will take 5 years to overcome.

Outside of the top 3 or so, it will be a crapshoot every year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

not really sure what to think, I'm willing to give him that long, but if his own troops can't cut it, we really have to wonder if we'll ever be worthy of contention of conference titles here at all??? I'm ready but maybe UW can't get it back to where we'd like it to be, sorry
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

As many years as we have given previous coaches, This is the best coach we have seen since Tiller, Plain and simple he deserves time but the MWC isn't going anywhere.

It has easily become 10 times as hard to create a new conference from scratch now than when it was done by the MWC in 99. It would be suicide for a group of teams to venture into doing that. I don't think we will see much shuffling in terms of teams going anywhere.

There will always be the 1-2 teams that move from conference to conference both P5 and G5 that is never going to change. What will change overtime is how the G5 handle being osterized by the P5 because that is coming and no one can stop it and the NCAA is scared poop and won't interfere with w/e they want.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

DC left this program in as much disarray as Schroyer left the basketball program in. Bohl inherited a mess, and it is going to take a while to fix it. I think he has the skillsets to be successful at Wyoming, but it is going to take time to right this ship. I'm willing to give him whatever time it takes to get this program back on solid footing. Look at what Shyatt is doing - recruiting at a high level now and the future looks bright. The same can happen under Bohl. The question is will he be able to pull it off. I'm hopeful but only time will tell. :twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

i agree with ya the only way Bohl jumps ship is if Pelini gets the axe in the next few years, but my friend made one heck of an observance, if Bohl with all his Nat'l Titles and such is such a good coach, why wasn't he courted by others, and why is he at UW, makes sense. But as we all know this is a rock jumping school, always has been and always will be, $ talks
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote:i agree with ya the only way Bohl jumps ship is if Pelini gets the axe in the next few years, but my friend made one heck of an observance, if Bohl with all his Nat'l Titles and such is such a good coach, why wasn't he courted by others, and why is he at UW, makes sense. But as we all know this is a rock jumping school, always has been and always will be, $ talks
I believe he was courted by Minnesota at one point.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:I believe he was courted by Minnesota at one point.
Correct.

He interviewed for the Gophers job in 2007 with then-AD Joel Maturi. Many schools have called NDSU inquiring about Bohl, but it is believed the secretive coach hasn't interviewed many times. He saw fit to interview for the Gophers job, which says something about his interest in coaching in Minneapolis. Maturi, by the way, hired Tim Brewster, who lost to Bohl in '07 and whose brief tenure at Minnesota was filled with mostly incompetence.

Taken from a 2013 article: http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions- ... ls-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cowboyz
Cowpoke

stymeman wrote:i agree with ya the only way Bohl jumps ship is if Pelini gets the axe in the next few years, but my friend made one heck of an observance, if Bohl with all his Nat'l Titles and such is such a good coach, why wasn't he courted by others, and why is he at UW, makes sense. But as we all know this is a rock jumping school, always has been and always will be, $ talks
Who knows why Bohl didn't land at a bigger program. He wasn't really on the Head Coach hiring radar until after his 2nd Championship, as every year some coach wins the FCS Championship. It's not a golden ticket to the big time. Recruiting the FCS is so different than the FBS that schools seem more comfortable grabbing Asst Coaches from big programs when positions come available as they have better contacts and recognition. I also believe it's a PR and marketing move. The big programs are not going to be so interested in getting a coach that grinds it out to showcase on their new networks. They are also probably not so interested in a flashy announcement that says "we hired from North Dakota State...", when they could be announcing "we hired from Alabama or LSU, etc...". Of course they're only assistants at the big programs, but it sounds much better. If they were guaranteed that they'd win with a boring offense and a coach from a no name college, sure they'd hire him. But there are no guarantees. Many big time coaches have switch schools and sucked. No one can blame an AD for hiring an assistant from Alabama when the guy comes in and fails, but to take a chance on an FCS coach and it fails, his decision making would be questioned by the media and fans, and he'd be the one looking for a new job.

As far as competing for titles in the MWC is concerned, it's not going to be 5 years. We're on track right now. Bohl has taken a broken team and is making them compete this year. I believe as his recruits come in and the present players get molded into the type players he needs, we'll be very competitive next year. Right off the bat we'll have a seasoned QB that has played a high level of competition, with a year of Bohl under his belt and many key players returning. Our recruiting class as of today is in the top half of the MWC with only San Jose really kicking our ass, as well as everyone else's in the conference. I don't know, does Bohl go after a few reject or project recruits, like the cornerback that Penn State just withdrew their offer from, Myles Hartsfield. Senior players at his high school have been accused of hazing new players, putting fingers up their butts and the sort. Not exactly what Penn State is looking for these days, but we make the kid wash his hands to prevent EBohla, and who knows, we get the 28th ranked athlete in the class. Okay, maybe not this particular player, but maybe we can find the odd slightly troubled kid with a big upside, or a transfer or two with a couple years of eligibility left, that may not be welcomed at his present school, like CSU has with Hart.

Last weekend was Bohl's first misstep in years. At NDS he was winning Championships, beating FBS teams on their fields, and until Hawaii, lead our team to the three victories over the teams we had a chance of beating. I don't feel Oregon and Michigan State were too surprising. He's even got the start of a good recruiting class going. We had a bad half of football, but we're still in this thing. I highly doubt we're there at the end of this year, but next year, I still have loads of faith.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times

cowboyz wrote:As far as competing for titles in the MWC is concerned, it's not going to be 5 years. We're on track right now.
I must have jaded expectations...as I don't see us on track right now. I think this will take some time, and a lot of patience.

We have 3 wins, 1 of which was pure poop luck, and 2 which were super close - with 1 of those being against FCS Montana.

We have 3 losses, 2 of which were expected with 1 being a complete blowout, and the other that was a meltdown pants pisser.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

McPeachy wrote:
cowboyz wrote:As far as competing for titles in the MWC is concerned, it's not going to be 5 years. We're on track right now.
I must have jaded expectations...as I don't see us on track right now. I think this will take some time, and a lot of patience.

We have 3 wins, 1 of which was pure poop luck, and 2 which were super close - with 1 of those being against FCS Montana.

We have 3 losses, 2 of which were expected with 1 being a complete blowout, and the other that was a meltdown pants pisser.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Plus, it made me literally chuckle out loud.

My optimism of the season began when I saw us finally win a close game over Air Force...and leading Oregon after a quarter, etc.

The reason for me losing some optimism is seeing our team not make improvements. I literally saw things vs Hawaii that brought back years of complete garbage memories of the Pokes.

I know some of you on here say that Hawaii is decent, island play, time zone, etc. Although I agree with you to an extent, football is football. We got some gift turnovers from Hawaii. We had control of that game and completely pissed ourselves.

I hope Hawaii goes on to victories the rest of the year to prove me wrong. I really think this was a must win for our team to make it to a bowl game.

Anyhoo, back to the topic, next year is a very favorable schedule. I think our QB woes will continue. We have some young guns, but zero experience. Part of me wishes they would have played this year and got experience.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

MWC dynasties are dead and gone. It sure as hell better not take 5 years to be competitive in a league like the MWC.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:MWC dynasties are dead and gone. It sure as hell better not take 5 years to be competitive in a league like the MWC.
Agreed. This conf is a mediocre conf at best.

We have some very, very, very bad teams in this conf.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Anyhoo, back to the topic, next year is a very favorable schedule. I think our QB woes will continue. We have some young guns, but zero experience. Part of me wishes they would have played this year and got experience.[/quote]
We have Coffman, who has experience, but I didn't realize he only has a year left to play.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

cowboyz wrote:Anyhoo, back to the topic, next year is a very favorable schedule. I think our QB woes will continue. We have some young guns, but zero experience. Part of me wishes they would have played this year and got experience.
We have Coffman, who has experience, but I didn't realize he only has a year left to play.[/quote]
He'll make a nice bridge to either Fort, Smith, Thornton, or unknown. At least we should have a solid QB next year...and with some development.....beyond.