Is this a 5 year plan? Or longer?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

My concern is that the Bohl system, especially on defense, doesn't work at this level. Yes, NDS beat some Div I teams, but that is because NDS had better players - they would have beaten the Pokes handily. The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see. If nothing is starting to come together by the 2016 season, then forget about it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see.
He was able to recruit kids to Fargo, North Dakota. Why do you think he'll have trouble recruiting them to Laramie?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:My concern is that the Bohl system, especially on defense, doesn't work at this level. Yes, NDS beat some Div I teams, but that is because NDS had better players - they would have beaten the Pokes handily. The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see. If nothing is starting to come together by the 2016 season, then forget about it.
Look at MSU. They are what Bohl is going to try and make us into. And Nebraska's defense (also Tampa 2) has been doing pretty well so far this season. Plus, Bohl's Tampa 2 is a modified version of the typical kind, that when implemented with the right kind of players, is a very tough defense.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:My concern is that the Bohl system, especially on defense, doesn't work at this level. Yes, NDS beat some Div I teams, but that is because NDS had better players - they would have beaten the Pokes handily. The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see. If nothing is starting to come together by the 2016 season, then forget about it.
I'm going to disagree. There is nothing to prove this. What NDSU had is a bunch of guys who were recruited by Craig Bohl and were developed by the NDSU staff. They are guys who bought into the system and have spent some time in the system. We're six games into Craig Bohl's tenure and only two or three guys he recruited are playing at this point. Give it some time.

Go Pokes!!
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

JimmyDimes wrote:
I'm going to disagree. There is nothing to prove this. What NDSU had is a bunch of guys who were recruited by Craig Bohl and were developed by the NDSU staff. They are guys who bought into the system and have spent some time in the system. We're six games into Craig Bohl's tenure and only two or three guys he recruited are playing at this point. Give it some time.

Go Pokes!!
Well said. Bohl was 8-3 against FBS schools, many from the power conferences, with his recruits. To think he can't recruit as well at UW as he did at NDSU is kind of silly. Will he recruit significantly better athletes? I think so, but under his system and development I'm not sure it matters that much.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Tampa 2, 3-3-5, 3-4, At the end of the day talent, coaching, game-planning and motivation matter infinitely more than scheme.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

My point is that most of us had 3 maybe 4-5 wins and now that we lose a game, they're flying off the handle. If u predict 4 wins, you should expect losses without losing your poop. Has a new coach ever taken a poop team and made them awesome in his first year? I know If a coach leaves for greener pastures he can set up the next coach to succeed but we are far from that
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote:My point is that most of us had 3 maybe 4-5 wins and now that we lose a game, they're flying off the handle. If u predict 4 wins, you should expect losses without losing your poop. Has a new coach ever taken a poop team and made them awesome in his first year? I know If a coach leaves for greener pastures he can set up the next coach to succeed but we are far from that
I don't think it was the fact we lost that causes this emotion it's how we had a meltdown and lost to a team that basically everyone penciled in as a win.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:
laxwyo wrote:My point is that most of us had 3 maybe 4-5 wins and now that we lose a game, they're flying off the handle. If u predict 4 wins, you should expect losses without losing your poop. Has a new coach ever taken a poop team and made them awesome in his first year? I know If a coach leaves for greener pastures he can set up the next coach to succeed but we are far from that
I don't think it was the fact we lost that causes this emotion it's how we had a meltdown and lost to a team that basically everyone penciled in as a win.
I never penciled it in as a win. Learned that the hard way under DC. And this team, despite being under Bohl now, still shows the "DC aspects" from the last 5 years at times. Like meltdowns during a game. Really bad tackling. And completely blown assignments/coverages.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
I never penciled it in as a win. Learned that the hard way under DC. And this team, despite being under Bohl now, still shows the "DC aspects" from the last 5 years at times. Like meltdowns during a game. Really bad tackling. And completely blown assignments/coverages.
Agreed, it will be many years before I will ever think we can "pencil in a win", we aren't there and won't be there for a few years. Bohl has started to improve the culture but there's still quite a bit of the "Oh poop, they're hitting us back!" look from the Pokes. That's a culture issue, and unfortunately that's going to take time and new players in the program to change.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It probably has more to do with losing to by far the worst team in the MWC over the last 2+ seasons. A loss to Hawaii definitely brings 3-9 and last place into play and that is a tough pill to swallow, although certainly not unprecedented for Wyoming. I still think the Pokes will finish either 4-8 or 5-7.

In terms of coaches in their first year, it largely depends on how you define "poop" and "awesome". Immediate improvement is fairly common, but not sure that qualifies as awesome. I have seen some Wyoming coaches deliver instant improvement. Roach took the team from 6-6 to 10-3 and a WAC title in his first year. Glenn doubled the win total (to 4, but still) and DC took the team from 4-8 to 7-6 and a rare bowl win. On the basketball side, Shyatt's teams showed dramatic improvement in the first season both times. Obviously most of those (with the exception of Roach) were unsustainable and didn't really portend any long term success.

If you are looking for a hopeful precedent, there is Joe Tiller. Pokes declined from 9-4 in Roach's final season to 4-6-1 in Tiller's first year. It took Tiller a while, but he did have success later in his tenure. Hopefully Bohl can follow in his footsteps.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:It probably has more to do with losing to by far the worst team in the MWC over the last 2+ seasons.
Borrowing a quote from another thread...

The conference is a total crapshoot this year

Why is that an accepted fact for every other school except Wyoming, but when it happens to us, it means we're destined for last place?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Peach how did you enjoy the hawaii trip? I was waiting for you to show up at our unofficial tailgate. Speaking of I can't believe the official tailgate was at the team hotel and not at the stadium. So we ended up joining kamala and Ali apas crew for the tailgate and it just kept growing.

Furthermore Wyoming looks so amateur on the road. No organized tailgate. No cheerleaders. No band. Is it a budget issue that we rarely see our band and cheerleaders at away games? I see many mwc schools who at least send the cheer squad. Why can't we? To be a big time program you gotta act like one. Our away game presence and fan experience is abysmal. Thanks tom
I'm good for 3!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

The Bohl-coached NDSU didn't beat the 'Pokes handily, they lost.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand

I'm not sure we win another one. Decimated on D, and lacking on O. Team played tough, we're actually in position to make tackles and that is far superior to anything the previous D Coordinators have been able to accomplish during DC's tenure. Not sure what the future represents for us in the next couple years, however I like the culture shift. Williams has to hit FG's for us to have a shot in securing any victories. In OT the play calling told me we wanted to get to the locker room, unimpressive from Vigen. This is a process, and I think Bohl has this team bought in, that however does not mean we win against the remaining teams on the schedule. We need severe upgrade in talent. The cupboard is bare, and athletes can improve results, it's totally in that dimension where we learn our destiny in this conference.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
lakesbison
Cowpoke

Brew_Poke wrote:

That was before the 3-4 year 50-2 run NDSU was on, it was a 3-8 team that lost to wyo on last second FG!

NDSU has better talent, 6 guys in nfl, 10 in pre camps, Bohl will bring talent to Wyoming, have patience when changing a culture
hickaggie
Buckaroo

lakesbison wrote:
Brew_Poke wrote:

That was before the 3-4 year 50-2 run NDSU was on, it was a 3-8 team that lost to wyo on last second FG!

NDSU has better talent, 6 guys in nfl, 10 in pre camps, Bohl will bring talent to Wyoming, have patience when changing a culture
It took Gary Andersen two 4-8 seasons at USU and he was headed for another and possibly the loss of his job when Keeton got hurt and Adam Kennedy led them to the miracle comeback against Hawaii and 5 straight wins. Like Gary Bohls has a plan and is confident in it. Unlike Gary, Bohl is a proven head coach although the job Andersen did as D-coordinator at Utah was similar. CSU has followed the same path and is a little less pathetic this year and sporting a nice record.

You guys are going to be good.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

lakesbison wrote: That was before the 3-4 year 50-2 run NDSU was on, it was a 3-8 team that lost to wyo on last second FG!

NDSU was 6-5 the year they lost to a 4-8 Wyoming team (2008).

#GoPokes

#GFYsheep
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

lakesbison wrote:
Brew_Poke wrote:

I think NDSU has/had better player development. The Pokes have at least 6 guys in the NFL and most are very productive. I don't think NDSU has had anyone like a Malcom Floyd, but Bohl has and will develop players.
lakesbison
Cowpoke

I would at least see what bohl develops in the next 2 years the guy can recruit!!