SJSU Game Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

How bad are our backups if Kirk is still playing? Sure, we're right where everyone thought we would be, but dang this stinks. This team wouldn't win a FCS conference.
52-56
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

SDPokeFan wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:In all honesty, why keep playing Kirk at this point. This was one of the easiest games remaining and he was terrible. We're not going anywhere anyway, so why not let one of the younger guys try?
Because he's "progressing," and "coming along" and "playing better each game!" At least that's what I keep reading on these boards. Of course, I don't know who the hell they are actually watching when they say that. They aren't watching Kirk, that's for sure.
I hate to see fans bash players but the only thing he consistently does is fail to play the entire game. He was basically invisible for the entire first three quarters.

USU @ CSU Colorado States first pre game sell out in 13 years next week could be a beat down.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

If this team drops the Border War, might be time to start giving younger players playing time. A LOT of seniors will graduate soon...need to get other guys experience or 2015 may be a total disaster.

Hate to say it, but with this loss....really feels like a potential 6-game losing streak is in progress. Even New Mexico may be tough.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

What I want to know is where has Finley been? He has solid hands and speed on reacting to receivers. I can't say that for many people on this team in the secondary.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:In all honesty, why keep playing Kirk at this point. This was one of the easiest games remaining and he was terrible. We're not going anywhere anyway, so why not let one of the younger guys try?
Because he's "progressing," and "coming along" and "playing better each game!" At least that's what I keep reading on these boards. Of course, I don't know who the hell they are actually watching when they say that. They aren't watching Kirk, that's for sure.
I hate to see fans bash players but the only thing he consistently does is fail to play the entire game. He was basically invisible for the entire first three quarters.

USU @ CSU Colorado States first pre game sell out in 13 years next week could be a beat down.
I guess I don't see it as bashing. It is what it is. The guy is not a FBS quarterback. Put someone else in and let's get ready for next year. Could the backup or third stringer really be much worse?
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

How many young guys are already playing? Any sophomore or red shirt frosh that need experience?
52-56
Arthur Fonzerelli
Buckaroo

We neEd Josh Bramlet back to lead vistory to bell cow domainance and WAHOOO GUYS WAHOOOO!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Losses to Hawaii and SJSU is Unacceptable in my opinion. Got hopes up yet again. Is there a season we ever start poor and end strong? Every year is the same. I think we should change name to Wyoming Groundhogs and add "enjoy your victory" to the "welcome to 7220" signs
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:

I guess I don't see it as bashing. It is what it is. The guy is not a FBS quarterback. Put someone else in and let's get ready for next year. Could the backup or third stringer really be much worse?
If they can be that makes me very worried, If I was coaching I would have already moved to Thornton or Stratton.

I get that he feels Colby has earned the time to play after all he has been through and maybe Bohl isn't as concerned about a Bowl game as we are. It is possible he is working the game plan as he feels it should be and I say if that is the case give him his time but it's hard to want to watch a team that appears to have quit on their QB and it really seems like this team has.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Unacceptable play calling in the overtime. Cost us a win.
No, Colby not seeing a wide open receiver in the end zone cost us the win. The game should have never went to overtime.

This is so true in its entire form. That was the play. How wide ope can a guy get? how did he convince himself the ghost in the corner of the endzone was better option? poop HE HAD 3 OPTIONS!!! The TE wide open, Wick wide open on the opposite side, or just run it in. He did option #4 throw It and the game away.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I was fine with starting Colby at beginning of the year and while it looked like we might have a shot at a bowl. But now it's different. Coffman isn't the sure thing starter and if he isn't , I want Thornton to have more experience if the red shirt QBs aren't ready
W-Y, Until I Die!
PCB
Ranch Hand

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:We neEd Josh Bramlet back to lead vistory to bell cow domainance and WAHOOO GUYS WAHOOOO!!!
Huh? :roll:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote:I was fine with starting Colby at beginning of the year and while it looked like we might have a shot at a bowl. But now it's different. Coffman isn't the sure thing starter and if he isn't , I want Thornton to have more experience if the red shirt QBs aren't ready
Coffman has to sit out this year due to transfer rules. He can play next year though.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

laxwyo wrote:Losses to Hawaii and SJSU is Unacceptable in my opinion. Got hopes up yet again. Is there a season we ever start poor and end strong? Every year is the same. I think we should change name to Wyoming Groundhogs and add "enjoy your victory" to the "welcome to 7220" signs
Thank you. This legitimately made me laugh out loud. I needed a laugh. Men, these are the comments of a broken man. And I'm right there with him!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Bohl needs time, this team lacks talent at certain spots. But yeah, it feels like this has become an annual tradition. Start out somewhat well, make fans believe....struggle in mid-season....and now we're just waiting for the BOOM.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I think our O line is the worst in the MWC. They spend more time on their knees then they do blocking. And I loved seeing Finley in there for Tim "toast" Kamana. Finley had some spark in him.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

A few observations from sitting in the stands: 1) our receivers get no separation and often get jammed right at the line of scrimmage 2) we play a very soft zone and they had guys open all over the place 3) they did not even have to blitz to get a lot of pressure on Kolby.

I know Kolby missed a wide open receiver right in front of him but our receivers make him look a lot worse than he is. This might have been the worst game for our O-line this year. Wick never had a chance all game.

We were completely dominated on both sides of the ball today by a near bottom of the conference team. We will be a double digit underdog in every game the rest of the season, with the possible exception of New Mexico. It's deja Vu all over again.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

J-Rod wrote:Bohl needs time, this team lacks talent at certain spots. But yeah, it feels like this has become an annual tradition. Start out somewhat well, make fans believe....struggle in mid-season....and now we're just waiting for the BOOM.
...at the majority of spots. Secondary is flat out bad. Aside from one LB, they are non-existent. The O-Line needs a complete rotation into players that can hold a block. We are missing a couple of D-linemen that can control the line of scrimmage. And, we all know about the QB situation.

I am as frustrated as anyone. Coming out of the Spring/Summer, we were led to believe that this team was significantly tougher than what we have seen in the recent past....not the case.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

PokeTransplant wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Bohl needs time, this team lacks talent at certain spots. But yeah, it feels like this has become an annual tradition. Start out somewhat well, make fans believe....struggle in mid-season....and now we're just waiting for the BOOM.
...at the majority of spots. Secondary is flat out bad. Aside from one LB, they are non-existent. The O-Line needs a complete rotation into players that can hold a block. We are missing a couple of D-linemen that can control the line of scrimmage. And, we all know about the QB situation.

I am as frustrated as anyone. Coming out of the Spring/Summer, we were led to believe that this team was significantly tougher than what we have seen in the recent past....not the case.
Anyone who believed that the majority of DC's guys under a new coach would suddenly exhibit toughness is pretty naive. It's just not how people work. Sure, a few of the guys that played under DC will buy into the new coach, but more likely than not,it'll be the underclassmen, not the juniors and seniors. I honestly believe most of our return starters, with a few exceptions, simply have a very low standard and expectation of themselves. It's a culture of small-mindedness and complacency that no one can simply turn around, especially given the natural hindrances Wyoming has when it comes to recruiting FBS-level talent.

I saw this team do something today they wouldn't have done under DC- the stayed in the game even though they were getting out-played on both sides of the ball. Weirdly, we also seemed to play better as some starters on defense went out of the game.

A one-season turn-around for Wyoming is a miraculous expectation. I think we still have a shot at some more wins this season- the conference is simply too wack-a-doo to think otherwise. I also think I'm seeing the seeds of a culture shift, but such things simply take time. 6-6 this season would exceed my expectations, but, that being said, not getting 5 wins next season would be a huge disappointment.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I just don't think Bohl can bring players that are any better than the ones DC brought. We basically take any kid that will say yes to us.
W-Y, Until I Die!