So close!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I know this won't be accepted by the negative nancies here, but Bohl said after the game that Nzeocha wasn't the first read on the play, it was the RB.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

joshvanklomp wrote:I know this won't be accepted by the negative nancies here, but Bohl said after the game that Nzeocha wasn't the first read on the play, it was the RB.
I think that's everyone's point- Kirkegaard locks onto his first read and that's it.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:I know this won't be accepted by the negative nancies here, but Bohl said after the game that Nzeocha wasn't the first read on the play, it was the RB.
I think that's everyone's point- Kirkegaard locks onto his first read and that's it.
Yet Colby said in his interview that the Rb was covered. I beg to differ but he wasn't covered and he should have thrown the ball. I wont even bring up the wr. Who was wide open yet he said wasnt part of the progression. He also could've walked in the end zone. But I guess that wasn't part of the progression either.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

He's over thinking it if he locks on to the first progression. He's not comfortable in this scheme and it shows. Some of that is the shyty o line not giving him time, but much of it has to do with the skillset he is lacking.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Everyone is blaming Kirk for this game, because we got only 3'points instead of 7. But let's really think on this, Kirk lead us down field and we got the lead late in the fourth, 20-17. Our D could've held SJS to a 4th and 11, and caused a punt or TO on downs, but Api-Api decided on a little hands to the face action, giving them an automatic 1st down. Where's his blame? So they go down and we hold them to a FG. 20-20. Kirk, who struggled along with litterally everyone else on the O side of the ball leads us down the field with less than a minute to go, and puts us in a great position to Win. Our kicker misses one of the kicks he practices all the time... Where's his blame? Our O Line played abysmal all day and Kirk couldn't go hardly one play without being hit! Where's the blame?
This game had A LOT of cause and effect, but EVERYONE is wanting to hangup on Kirk, and his mistake. Let's say Kirk is getting worse when he's getting hit every single snap and has to get rid of the ball in a hurry. Let's say he's getting worse when his WRs cannot get open at all! Let's say he's getting worse when he pulled a Brett Smith and started running the ball, and it was quite effective. Let's blame Kirk only, when he had zero TOs.
Everyone on the O except for Wick deserves blame for this one. Wick was fighting for yardage from three yards behind the line on. Blame DJ May for breaking team rules!
Stop crapping on Kirk all the time. Why were his numbers bad? Could it be for the same reason Wicks numbers were looking bad before the end of the fourth quarter, O Line not blocking for poop and WR making our O one deminsional by not creating separation and making themselves a viable go to target?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

kansasCowboy wrote:Everyone is blaming Kirk for this game, because we got only 3'points instead of 7. But let's really think on this, Kirk lead us down field and we got the lead late in the fourth, 20-17. Our D could've held SJS to a 4th and 11, and caused a punt or TO on downs, but Api-Api decided on a little hands to the face action, giving them an automatic 1st down. Where's his blame? So they go down and we hold them to a FG. 20-20. Kirk, who struggled along with litterally everyone else on the O side of the ball leads us down the field with less than a minute to go, and puts us in a great position to Win. Our kicker misses one of the kicks he practices all the time... Where's his blame? Our O Line played abysmal all day and Kirk couldn't go hardly one play without being hit! Where's the blame?
This game had A LOT of cause and effect, but EVERYONE is wanting to hangup on Kirk, and his mistake. Let's say Kirk is getting worse when he's getting hit every single snap and has to get rid of the ball in a hurry. Let's say he's getting worse when his WRs cannot get open at all! Let's say he's getting worse when he pulled a Brett Smith and started running the ball, and it was quite effective. Let's blame Kirk only, when he had zero TOs.
Everyone on the O except for Wick deserves blame for this one. Wick was fighting for yardage from three yards behind the line on. Blame DJ May for breaking team rules!
Stop crapping on Kirk all the time. Why were his numbers bad? Could it be for the same reason Wicks numbers were looking bad before the end of the fourth quarter, O Line not blocking for poop and WR making our O one deminsional by not creating separation and making themselves a viable go to target?
How about the play where he didn't see a wide open receiver standing alone in the end zone? Care to try to defend that?
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Or the four or five passes he threw into the turf directly in front of an open receiver. That's the receivers fault? Or the passes where he waited a second too long and instead of hitting the receiver in a transition he hits them in double coverage. That's the receivers fault too? He was 11 for 27 and most of those incompletions are on kirk
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

kansasCowboy wrote:Everyone is blaming Kirk for this game, because we got only 3'points instead of 7. But let's really think on this, Kirk lead us down field and we got the lead late in the fourth, 20-17. Our D could've held SJS to a 4th and 11, and caused a punt or TO on downs, but Api-Api decided on a little hands to the face action, giving them an automatic 1st down. Where's his blame? So they go down and we hold them to a FG. 20-20. Kirk, who struggled along with litterally everyone else on the O side of the ball leads us down the field with less than a minute to go, and puts us in a great position to Win. Our kicker misses one of the kicks he practices all the time... Where's his blame? Our O Line played abysmal all day and Kirk couldn't go hardly one play without being hit! Where's the blame?
I'm with KansasCowboy on this - there's enough blame to go around to just about everyone in this game - including the coaching & officiating. On that "Hands in the Face" penalty, the SJSU player had his hands in Api-Api's face mask too, but the officials called it on our man - check it out if you get the chance. We got poor ball spots all game long and SJSU got favorable ball spots on several occasions. We flat out got screwed on that review when it clearly showed the SJSU player who caught the pass fumbled before going down. That call would have been the difference in the game. I have never seen a crowd object so much to a call/review as they did on that one.
SJSU was stacking the box to stop our running game and put more than enough pressure on Kirkegaard to keep him off balance and in a panic mode all game - why weren't we countering that with screen passes, draw plays, reverses, etc?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:
How about the play where he didn't see a wide open receiver standing alone in the end zone? Care to try to defend that?
That's pretty much the point I started at on my view. Yeah, he missed the guy. And since everyone is always prone to bring up Brett Smith, even though we no longer have him. I watched Brett throw a ton of balls at receivers feet, and also watched him miss wide open receivers as well. Kirk went 11-27, why? Because he was being flushed from the pocket, or mostly, it just caved on him and he was being hit as he was throwing pretty much every throw. That in and of its self is enough to cause several incompletions. When he was throwing on the run, he was throwing against his body which made for weaker throws that hit the ground. Also, it's not up to the QB for the receivers to get open. The receivers were getting jammed at the line almost every play, the exception would be the fourth quarter and that is when we had several open looks down field like Rufran, but before that Kirk had to sit in a pocket and wait, and wait and wait some more for someone to break from their man, it wasn't happening. And when it finally did he was either going down or being hit during the throw.
Yes, I will give you that he missed the guy in the end zone, but he still lead us down the field and got us the lead.
And then lead us down the field AGAIN to put us in position to win the game out right.
But just in between that missed td opportunity and the end of regulation there were A LOT of mistakes made by MANY others that I would say cost us the game moreso. DBS missing coverages and the hands to the face penalty, allowing them to get back into fg range to tie, and then our kicker missing a kick that he practices all the time. Are all of those things that you would like to look past just so you can blame Kirk for "costing us the game"?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

WYCowboy wrote:
I'm with KansasCowboy on this - there's enough blame to go around to just about everyone in this game - including the coaching & officiating. On that "Hands in the Face" penalty, the SJSU player had his hands in Api-Api's face mask too, but the officials called it on our man - check it out if you get the chance. We got poor ball spots all game long and SJSU got favorable ball spots on several occasions. We flat out got screwed on that review when it clearly showed the SJSU player who caught the pass fumbled before going down. That call would have been the difference in the game. I have never seen a crowd object so much to a call/review as they did on that one.
SJSU was stacking the box to stop our running game and put more than enough pressure on Kirkegaard to keep him off balance and in a panic mode all game - why weren't we countering that with screen passes, draw plays, reverses, etc?
Something I've been wondering all season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wyovanian wrote:
snowsailor wrote:Same poop different year. This program will always be the same. 110-120 of all FBS teams. Get used to being a worst tier team Cowboys. Its what we are and always will be.
Know what? "Fans" like you, we don't need. :loser:
I second this. Take a hike.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

LanderPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
snowsailor wrote:Same poop different year. This program will always be the same. 110-120 of all FBS teams. Get used to being a worst tier team Cowboys. Its what we are and always will be.
Know what? "Fans" like you, we don't need. :loser:
I second this. Take a hike.
The motion carries. All in favor, say "Aye".

Aye!

The "Ayes" have it. snowsailor will now be permabanned from the internet for all time.
wyoforever
Buckaroo

Bohl says those that stay will be champions. This also includes the fans. We must be patient and the next couple years may be just as rough as this year. When will we start to dominate? Don't know but it may not be till year 3 or 4. Bohl needs our full support just like they gave him in Fargo and he will deliver. Even though we are not winning the team is already more competitive than last year even with Brett Smith. Recruiting is also already improving so things are looking up.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

All will be forgiven if the Pokes beat CSU. But that just won't happen so we will have to wait a while.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:All will be forgiven if the Pokes beat CSU. But that just won't happen so we will have to wait a while.
Your attitude sucks. There's a reason they play the game. Why don't and snowsailor get together and go bowling...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Hayduke
Cowpoke

I hate to say, but I'll be satisfied with a good showing in Fort Collins. A win...I don't think it's going to happen. CSU has way too much at stake in the upcoming MWC games. If they win out, they'll probably play in the MWC championship. I don't see Boise winning the rest of their games.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Hayduke wrote:I hate to say, but I'll be satisfied with a good showing in Fort Collins. A win...I don't think it's going to happen. CSU has way too much at stake in the upcoming MWC games. If they win out, they'll probably play in the MWC championship. I don't see Boise winning the rest of their games.
At this point, I would rather Boise win out. Mainly because aside from 2 or 3 Ram fans, the rest have been getting douchier and douchier over the course of the season.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
Hayduke wrote:I hate to say, but I'll be satisfied with a good showing in Fort Collins. A win...I don't think it's going to happen. CSU has way too much at stake in the upcoming MWC games. If they win out, they'll probably play in the MWC championship. I don't see Boise winning the rest of their games.
At this point, I would rather Boise win out. Mainly because aside from 2 or 3 Ram fans, the rest have been getting douchier and douchier over the course of the season.
Mixed feelings here. I haven't ran into too many overzealous Ram fans in Fort Collins when I wear my Pokes gear. They're usually pretty nice, to be honest. For recruiting purposes, you're probably right. I'm just not a Ram hater, that school helped me finish my undergrad. I also stay off the MWC boards and Ramnation, so I don't see the more "douchier" posters that you probably have. That would probably change my opinion.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Looked at some of the game i recorded. While Kirk did have lots of pressure and the receivers didn't do him any favors, the running back slipped out the backfield on numerous occasions and was wide open. Now most Qbs would look to the hot route when the receivers can't get open. Kirk didn't do that at all. There was always a safety valve for him if he would've looked. The single most important part of being a Division 1 Qb is the ability to go through his progressions. If he simply locks on to the primary target then the DB will be on the receivers ass, which is what happened a lot. He has to feel the pressure and look for the dump pass. When he finally realized the dump pass was open all game it was already late in the 4th qtr. Which is why Wick had 4 receptions. But it was there on many, many occasions. He also would take the tougher deep throw to the wide receiver then hit the wide open TE on the out. Now i can't blame Kirk for the loss because he actually put the team in a position to win at the end of regulation. But our struggles are because of his inability to improvise after the primary read is covered. I put most of the blame on our inept offensive line. They simply are the worst group in the Mountain West. Zero nastiness and zero competitiveness. Funny thing I saw both kirk and Wick reach up a hand to their O linemen for help off the turff and they walked off without pulling them up. Enough said.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

mwc fan wrote: Funny thing I saw both kirk and Wick reach up a hand to their O linemen for help off the turff and they walked off without pulling them up. Enough said.
I didn't notice that but that's pretty f'ed up! I hate entitlement and people that can't take heat without being a whiny bitch - which this sounds like to me. Bring in some youngin's if the veterans want to mail it in.

More to the discussion, while the run blocking was pretty atrocious, I actually thought the line did give the Qb enough time on many of his hits/sacks. He can't expect to have 10 seconds to figure it out. If all he does is lock in anyway, get rid of the f-word rock!