the spiral will continue

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

SDPokeFan wrote:
BJC wrote:SD is onfire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fuel:
Look all I'm saying is I'm not the only one saying this stuff. I can go back to a few posts and copy and paste some stuff people were saying (but I'm not going to put people on blast like that) about Kirk all season and especially after last Saturday. "He sucks balls" is one quote. I'm not going to backtrack and try to pretend I didn't say those things about him AS A QUARTERBACK. I'm sure he's a great guy, nice, etc. I think he is a terrible quarterback that does not belong on an FBS team. My two cents. Take it or leave it. I'm sure most of you will leave it.
My opinion differs from yours on this. While Colby is hardly the best QB in the country, the conference, and maybe even the team, he is definitely an FBS quality QB. He was never sold to us by the staff as a savior, nor has he ever made any such claims, to my knowledge.

Entering this season, I saw that we had the 31st most difficult strength of schedule. So far Colby is #66 in passing yards, tied for 81st in TD passes, 32 starting QBs in the FBS have thrown the same amount or more interceptions, he's # 58 in yards per completion and #75 in yards per game and there are even 49 other teams that have the same amount of losses as Wyoming or more. While I don't think these numbers have Mariota looking over his shoulder, I feel they put Colby in the middle third of starting QBs in the FBS. So, unless you feel that there are only 100 or so QBs that deserve to considered FBS quality, Colby is one of them.

And he's doing this while he has average O-line, usually playing against a better team, and his FBS playing experience is that of a freshman.

Looking at all the data, I feel Colby is definitely an FBS quality QB. There are QBs on better teams that are not performing at his level.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

cowboyz wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:

Look all I'm saying is I'm not the only one saying this stuff. I can go back to a few posts and copy and paste some stuff people were saying (but I'm not going to put people on blast like that) about Kirk all season and especially after last Saturday. "He sucks balls" is one quote. I'm not going to backtrack and try to pretend I didn't say those things about him AS A QUARTERBACK. I'm sure he's a great guy, nice, etc. I think he is a terrible quarterback that does not belong on an FBS team. My two cents. Take it or leave it. I'm sure most of you will leave it.
My opinion differs from yours on this. While Colby is hardly the best QB in the country, the conference, and maybe even the team, he is definitely an FBS quality QB. He was never sold to us by the staff as a savior, nor has he ever made any such claims, to my knowledge.

Entering this season, I saw that we had the 31st most difficult strength of schedule. So far Colby is #66 in passing yards, tied for 81st in TD passes, 32 starting QBs in the FBS have thrown the same amount or more interceptions, he's # 58 in yards per completion and #75 in yards per game and there are even 49 other teams that have the same amount of losses as Wyoming or more. While I don't think these numbers have Mariota looking over his shoulder, I feel they put Colby in the middle third of starting QBs in the FBS. So, unless you feel that there are only 100 or so QBs that deserve to considered FBS quality, Colby is one of them.

And he's doing this while he has average O-line, usually playing against a better team, and his FBS playing experience is that of a freshman.

Looking at all the data, I feel Colby is definitely an FBS quality QB. There are QBs on better teams that are not performing at his level.
I agree with you, Kirk is not the reason we are having a bad year. The rest of the team also has a big hand in it, it will take a lot more than a qb to turn us around. For those saying play a new qb and go for the future who do they want to play? The qb next year is more than likely Coffman and he can't play this year, the two freshman are red shirting and Thornton is not the future of this team. Kirk is the best on the team and while he isn't the best qb around he is a solid guy and puts us in positions to win the last two losses, defense collapsed against Hawaii which isn't his fault and he set us up and took the lead once and set us up for a game winning field goal.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote:

Hey man...I wasn't knocking you at all! Just said you were fired up! It hurts to watch the offense most of the time in all honestly.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

BJC wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:

Hey man...I wasn't knocking you at all! Just said you were fired up! It hurts to watch the offense most of the time in all honestly.
I knew what you meant. I didn't take it as a knock. No worries!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Things said during or shortly after a loss do not count.

ESPN's QBR rating says that in fact, Captain Kirk is one of the worst performing QBs in the conference
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote:Things said during or shortly after a loss do not count.

ESPN's QBR rating says that in fact, Captain Kirk is one of the worst performing QBs in the conference
I think that's a great idea. You get a pass because of your awesome avatar.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

ESPN lists Colby at #90. Brett's first year he was #82 and ACS's first year he was #100. Not a whole lot of difference in their ratings. They were both pretty good their first years, with winning records. If Stuart's kick is 4" over, we'd all be praising Colby as we did them. Well, maybe not praising him, but I doubt we'd all be riding him as bad. I don't see the team rated as high as #90, so does this mean that on average, Colby is out performing the rest of the team?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote:

ESPN lists Colby at #90. Brett's first year he was #82 and ACS's first year he was #100. Not a whole lot of difference in their ratings. They were both pretty good their first years, with winning records. If Stuart's kick is 4" over, we'd all be praising Colby as we did them. Well, maybe not praising him, but I doubt we'd all be riding him as bad. I don't see the team rated as high as #90, so does this mean that on average, Colby is out performing the rest of the team?
Or Wick is.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are u referring to ESPN's rank of Colby? I'm talking QBR. Not quarterback rating. It's on a scale of 0-100 and uses some different metrics And there Colby sits. 110/126. Image
W-Y, Until I Die!
cowboyz
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:
cowboyz wrote:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are u referring to ESPN's rank of Colby? I'm talking QBR. Not quarterback rating. It's on a scale of 0-100 and uses some different metrics And there Colby sits. 110/126. Image
Okay, is see what you're using. I used the ESPN FBS player passing stats, which are more universal, and only uses actual stats and no opinion. They now have Colby at #91 after last nights games.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... backRating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ESPN QBR system is so confusing (to me and most other people anyway) that many don't bother with it. For instance, when I looked it up to see what metrics it uses, I came upon this:

""the Total QBR system gave the Denver Broncos' Tim Tebow a higher rating than the Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers in their respective Week 5 contests in 2011. Noting that Rodgers completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns in a win over the Atlanta Falcons, while Tebow completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown, and six rushes for 38 yards and a touchdown, in a loss to the San Diego Chargers""

The ESPN QBR just seems flawed to me.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

QBR is terrible
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

What exactly is the point in arguing if he's #90 or #110? Does it matter?

It's not like the guy we throw in his place is going to be #20.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I bet those other QBs below Kirk wish they were throwing against man coverage with no safety help. Seriously when the defense has its backers 2-3 yards off the ball that opens everything up over the middle. Either our receivers can't get separation or Kirk is not confident enough to throw the quick slant.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Did u actually see the QBR where tebow had a higher rating? It's not a passing statistic. It's weighted so that a Brett smith passes for 300 yards after Wyoming is down by 35 doesn't get as much weight as other 300 yd passing games that actually help the team win. It's a good stat and perhaps flawed, much better than QB rating.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I would say just read http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... e-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's very easy to understand the QBR and it's the best performance stat there is for a QB and it's pretty damn accurate when you look at it and the QB's with top performances.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Thank u Dal. This wasn't dreamed up. It was made by dudes that do this poop for A living. Moneyball type poop
W-Y, Until I Die!
johnywyo
Ranch Hand

We'll get stomped by the sheep as much as that pains for me to say...I'm done ranting but I can't wait for basketball, sorry.....the bowl hopes just went down the proverbial toilet bowl imo.
hope I'm wrong but I wanna see Bohl get on this team, man them up and know that this CSU game truly is our bowl game.
frustration runs rampant...lol
[/quote]

So, let me get this right...it's all on Cap'n. poop.
The reality is this is going to take some time, if you want to bail....bail. Sounds to me that's exactly where a lot on this board are at. Let's change the name blog to "poop Nation". Williams pooched the winning kick, thatis the reality at HC. I wasn't happy, we're playing with the walking wounded 2nd and 3rd teams across the board. There was zero quit on these kids faces, which compared to DC and his strategy that is all I saw was quitter across the board when faced with adversity or a tough club on the schedule. I rarely comment on this board as it accomplishes nothing. When a chump lays on a kid whos competing at his best level, it's all I want. So, with that said lets burn down the Garbage Dump that is Hughes stadium and shut these Bucky the Beaver green wearing losers up. Sell out and all. Go Wyo.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Well, Colby's QBR average is 34.03 in our victories and 43.62 in our losses, so here's to a bad QBR day for Colby and a win for the Pokes!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

johnywyo wrote:
We'll get stomped by the sheep as much as that pains for me to say...I'm done ranting but I can't wait for basketball, sorry.....the bowl hopes just went down the proverbial toilet bowl imo.
hope I'm wrong but I wanna see Bohl get on this team, man them up and know that this CSU game truly is our bowl game.
The reality is this is going to take some time, if you want to bail....bail. Sounds to me that's exactly where a lot on this board are at. Let's change the name blog to "poop Nation". Williams pooched the winning kick, thatis the reality at HC. I wasn't happy, we're playing with the walking wounded 2nd and 3rd teams across the board. There was zero quit on these kids faces, which compared to DC and his strategy that is all I saw was quitter across the board when faced with adversity or a tough club on the schedule. I rarely comment on this board as it accomplishes nothing. When a chump lays on a kid whos competing at his best level, it's all I want. So, with that said lets burn down the Garbage Dump that is Hughes stadium and shut these Bucky the Beaver green wearing losers up. Sell out and all. Go Wyo.
Look it's fair to say we all understand your passion and frustration we all have it as well. Did Williams miss the kick? He sure did and it did cost us the game that we never should have been in to start with. We had 73 yards of total offense in the first half how exactly do you defend that type of QB play?

The simple fact of the matter is unless Wick/Rufran breaks off a 50+ yard run/reception this offense is running on 2 of it's 8 cylinders. I can count the number of great throws through 7 games on my hands. I'm not talking about 5 yard screens where the receiver turned it into a 50+ yard run.

It is all 100% on Colby, It doesn't matter if you like it or not he has to be the biggest contributing factor for us to win games. That is just how Football is played, If the OL if giving him time to find receivers and he can't find them sure some blame can be placed on the receivers but just missing wide open people or throwing a bad pass it will always come back to the QB.

Not one person on these forums is happy with the product on the field and at least 75% of us are excited to see what the Basketball team can do because they have been doing much better. No one is bailing we all know this is a minimum of a 3 year turn around.
cowboyz wrote:Well, Colby's QBR average is 34.03 in our victories and 43.62 in our losses, so here's to a bad QBR day for Colby and a win for the Pokes!
That is because in our victories we have a solid run game and it was early in the season, But now that teams realize they can just stack the box on us and force Colby to beat them through the air those victories mean far less. We need a 70+ QBR day to beat the Sheep and the only time he has had that was against Air Force.

His Interceptions and Completion percentage correlate with our wins & losses, We need both no Interceptions and a good QBR day.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:
johnywyo wrote:
Look it's fair to say we all understand your passion and frustration we all have it as well. Did Williams miss the kick? He sure did and it did cost us the game that we never should have been in to start with. We had 73 yards of total offense in the first half how exactly do you defend that type of QB play?

The simple fact of the matter is unless Wick/Rufran breaks off a 50+ yard run/reception this offense is running on 2 of it's 8 cylinders. I can count the number of great throws through 7 games on my hands. I'm not talking about 5 yard screens where the receiver turned it into a 50+ yard run.

It is all 100% on Colby, It doesn't matter if you like it or not he has to be the biggest contributing factor for us to win games. That is just how Football is played, If the OL if giving him time to find receivers and he can't find them sure some blame can be placed on the receivers but just missing wide open people or throwing a bad pass it will always come back to the QB.

Not one person on these forums is happy with the product on the field and at least 75% of us are excited to see what the Basketball team can do because they have been doing much better. No one is bailing we all know this is a minimum of a 3 year turn around.
cowboyz wrote:Well, Colby's QBR average is 34.03 in our victories and 43.62 in our losses, so here's to a bad QBR day for Colby and a win for the Pokes!
That is because in our victories we have a solid run game and it was early in the season, But now that teams realize they can just stack the box on us and force Colby to beat them through the air those victories mean far less. We need a 70+ QBR day to beat the Sheep and the only time he has had that was against Air Force.

His Interceptions and Completion percentage correlate with our wins & losses, We need both no Interceptions and a good QBR day.
Now I feel we've come around full circle. No interceptions and a good completion % is what we need from our QB and some help from the other offensive components (solid rushing) to win games. Not the mumbo jumbo of a particular pass putting us in a better position to win the game if we were already winning, but hurting if we were losing and all of that voodoo.