Recruiting

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I've never followed recruiting very closely before this year and I was just wondering how the verbals that we have gotten this year compare to prior years' recruits. I see that we are getting two and three-star recruits mixed in with the occasional "not rated" recruit. According to many on the board DC was a good recruiter, but had trouble developing the players. Overall, are we trending upward in recruiting or have we taken a step back this year?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, considering most of DC's recruits only committed late in the recruiting process, and he never actually developed the players, I'd say we're looking better than the last 5 years or so. And remember, Bohl was winning with unranked or 2 star players for years, dominating teams that we struggled to edge out. Not to mention able to go head to head with teams like K-State.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

It's really hard to judge recruiting over the past 5-10 years because the recruiting services are so subjective. As we've discussed on this board many times, the difference between a player being unranked, a 2-star, and for the majority a 3-star is simply in exposure and level of competition they play. If we have a class of some unranked, mostly 2-star and then 2-4 3-star, that is par for the course for the last 5 years. It's what these players look like 2 years down the road that will give us a true indication of how recruiting (and development) are doing

Now if we were to land a 4- or 5-star recruit. These guys are obviously talented players and have shown something to deserve being recognized at that level (unlike most 0,2-, and 3-stars have). So if we get a 4- or 5-star recruit, I will certainly agree that Bohl is kicking some ass on the recruiting trail. Otherwise, it's going to take a year or two to really see how good of a job he is doing.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

Tevis is a local 3 star recruit and we probably won't get him. Just illustrates how impossible it is to land a 4 star such as the utah kid with alumni for both parents
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote:Tevis is a local 3 star recruit and we probably won't get him. Just illustrates how impossible it is to land a 4 star such as the utah kid with alumni for both parents
That impossibility diminishes with winning seasons.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote:Tevis is a local 3 star recruit and we probably won't get him. Just illustrates how impossible it is to land a 4 star such as the utah kid with alumni for both parents
Education aside (if I had an opportunity to go to Stanford for free it would be hard to pass up), Tevis would be dumb to not come to UW. I don't think he'll make it as a D-1 qb, and I'm not sure he'll see the field as a defensive player having to compete with elite 4-5 stars recruits. I don't think he's fast enough. I looked at his track times and while respectable, they are not what I'd call fast. Maybe he's super 'quick' (reach top speed quickly), I don't know. But, all that aside if he came to WYO we'd love him. He would instantly be the most popular player. What's better than basking in the love and adoration of your hometown fans? That's got to be worth something, right?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Also, there was an OL from Natrona that went to Florida last year?? and we didn't get him?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

LanderPoke wrote:Education aside (if I had an opportunity to go to Stanford for free it would be hard to pass up), Tevis would be dumb to not come to UW. I don't think he'll make it as a D-1 qb, and I'm not sure he'll see the field as a defensive player having to compete with elite 4-5 stars recruits. I don't think he's fast enough. I looked at his track times and while respectable, they are not what I'd call fast. Maybe he's super 'quick' (reach top speed quickly), I don't know. But, all that aside if he came to WYO we'd love him. He would instantly be the most popular player. What's better than basking in the love and adoration of your hometown fans? That's got to be worth something, right?
Pretty sure he won't be a Cowboy, those bright lights are hard for some to pass up. And pretty sure he has had an awful year in Wyoming (WYOMING) high school football.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Education aside (if I had an opportunity to go to Stanford for free it would be hard to pass up), Tevis would be dumb to not come to UW. I don't think he'll make it as a D-1 qb, and I'm not sure he'll see the field as a defensive player having to compete with elite 4-5 stars recruits. I don't think he's fast enough. I looked at his track times and while respectable, they are not what I'd call fast. Maybe he's super 'quick' (reach top speed quickly), I don't know. But, all that aside if he came to WYO we'd love him. He would instantly be the most popular player. What's better than basking in the love and adoration of your hometown fans? That's got to be worth something, right?
Pretty sure he won't be a Cowboy, those bright lights are hard for some to pass up. And pretty sure he has had an awful year in Wyoming (WYOMING) high school football.
Maybe some teams back off?
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

laxwyo wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Maybe some teams back off?
Guarantee they will...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Ryan Anaya take two? After visiting Oregon, doesn't need to try senior year? Reading too many stories about himself or Cheyenne just not as good?
W-Y, Until I Die!