Stanard, wrong players or?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Thoughts? As far as new coaches, this was my biggest concern. He hasn't been that successful at the fbs level. Those CSU defenses were bad at times. Good coach, wrong players for scheme or concern regarding coaching?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Everything had improved until White got hurt.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

These guys simply don't tackle properly.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

He's working with DC players right now. Give him a few years to get guys for the Tampa 2 defense in before judging him. Remember, he's been learning from Bohl for several years.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

The players that were capable of helping us win are all hurt. The players that are playing now never gave up and that is a good sign but they have so much to learn.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I would wait a few years of recruiting players for this system before you look too hard at coaches.

Dave recruited a few great defensive players but almost all of his focus was on people for his spread offense.

Dc went through what... 3 d coordinators? Somehow I have a feeling talent on that side of the ball is the issue.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I would wait a few years of recruiting players for this system before you look too hard at coaches.

Dave recruited a few great defensive players but almost all of his focus was on people for his spread offense.

Dc went through what... 3 d coordinators? Somehow I have a feeling talent on that side of the ball is the issue.
Exactly. These players and our defense was set up to just slow teams down enough that our offense could try to out score the opponent. I really think DC was fine with games like Hawaii and SJSU last year.
We are transitioning into a hard nosed stop defense. These guys are working hard to make that change. The injuries have not helped the cause other than giving experience to younger players.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

I think the jury is definitely out on Stanard. Watching some of the older guys on the team you can tell they were never developed under DC's regime. Which is a shame because there is a lot of natural talent and athleticism, just no technique or fundamentals. We'll get there, I have full faith we will, it will just take some time.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

GoPokes86 wrote:I think the jury is definitely out on Stanard. Watching some of the older guys on the team you can tell they were never developed under DC's regime. Which is a shame because there is a lot of natural talent and athleticism, just no technique or fundamentals. We'll get there, I have full faith we will, it will just take some time.
Mertens, the oldest guy on the team I think, has at least been pretty solid. 6'5 285lbs (plays more like 295lbs, which is a good thing) and he uses it to the best he can.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'm sure it's been brought up already, but I haven't read it yet so...what do you guys think of 2015 with all the losses of Seniors? Normally losing so much experience is a bad thing, but maybe it's a good thing in this case? Weeding out some of DC's players? Don't get me wrong, some of these seniors were much needed (White, Nzeocha, Puletasi, Mertens, etc.)...but others...not so much.

Is 2015 looking like a potentially very rough season because of all the exiting talent, or will the team moderately surprise because more of Bohl's recruits can play?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote:I'm sure it's been brought up already, but I haven't read it yet so...what do you guys think of 2015 with all the losses of Seniors? Normally losing so much experience is a bad thing, but maybe it's a good thing in this case? Weeding out some of DC's players? Don't get me wrong, some of these seniors were much needed (White, Nzeocha, Puletasi, Mertens, etc.)...but others...not so much.

Is 2015 looking like a potentially very rough season because of all the exiting talent, or will the team moderately surprise because more of Bohl's recruits can play?
Although a lot of the seniors, at least on the defensive side, lack real talent, they have experience and worked their asses off. So while even at full health, we did give up a lot of yards (and points to teams like Oregon and MSU, after those two games is when we started losing players), it's been thanks to their experience that we can still get some decent stops and force fumbles. Next year, we'll still have some experience, especially up front on the line, but it's still an overall huge drop off and I think (and I thought this before the season began) that it will also be a painful year for defense (though I do hope to see Eddie Yarbrough really step it up next year for to be a constant threat as a pass rusher). Year 3 though should give us an idea of how we are progressing on the defensive side.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
J-Rod wrote:I'm sure it's been brought up already, but I haven't read it yet so...what do you guys think of 2015 with all the losses of Seniors? Normally losing so much experience is a bad thing, but maybe it's a good thing in this case? Weeding out some of DC's players? Don't get me wrong, some of these seniors were much needed (White, Nzeocha, Puletasi, Mertens, etc.)...but others...not so much.

Although a lot of the seniors, at least on the defensive side, lack real talent, they have experience and worked their asses off. So while even at full health, we did give up a lot of yards (and points to teams like Oregon and MSU, after those two games is when we started losing players), it's been thanks to their experience that we can still get some decent stops and force fumbles. Next year, we'll still have some experience, especially up front on the line, but it's still an overall huge drop off and I think (and I thought this before the season began) that it will also be a painful year for defense (though I do hope to see Eddie Yarbrough really step it up next year for to be a constant threat as a pass rusher). Year 3 though should give us an idea of how we are progressing on the defensive side.
Maybe we should go the JC route for a year or 2?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

That's only a quick fix at best. Best to develop players. Can be painful at first, but once it gets going, the dividends pay off quite well. It's what Shyatt is doing with the basketball team. I would only go the JC route if we have a glaring hole at one or two spots. Right now, it's a bit more than that.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Actually, I would suggest going JUCO early on in the transition if guys fit the system. Looking at Minnesota (it's what I know, I'm sorry I keep bringing them up), three of the Gophers' better defensive players are from the JUCO ranks. One of them came in after Kill's first season, with the other two coming after year two.

It's a way to get your style of players into the program, while still getting guys with college experience, which means you don't necessarily have to rely on the new recruits as true freshmen.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

while I get why they don't tackle in practice for potential injury issues, something's gotta give
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I'm definitely all for giving the new staff a chance and am not railing against him. However, as I said, our DC is a concern for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the hire, but am for giving him a chance. The root of my concern comes from his track record at this level; he just hasn't had a stellar defense--I didn't check his Tulane days. I figured since 2000 is adequate.

Year Team Defensive Ranking
2000 nmsu 95
2001 nmsu 87
2002 nmsu 54
2003 csu 55
2004 csu 88
2005 csu 99
2006 csu 53
2007 csu 80
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
hithere
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I'm definitely all for giving the new staff a chance and am not railing against him. However, as I said, our DC is a concern for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the hire, but am for giving him a chance. The root of my concern comes from his track record at this level; he just hasn't had a stellar defense--I didn't check his Tulane days. I figured since 2000 is adequate.

Year Team Defensive Ranking
2000 nmsu 95
2001 nmsu 87
2002 nmsu 54
2003 csu 55
2004 csu 88
2005 csu 99
2006 csu 53
2007 csu 80
I hate Steve Stanard. There's a special place in my heart for how much I think his hiring was a colossal mistake. I will dump on him as an FBS DC every chance I get. Here are his numbers:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10790&p=111676#p111672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This year he's been dealt about as poop of a hand as you could get with injuries, returning terrible players like DeAndre Jones and an overall lack of talent when it comes to basic, fundamental tackling. I loved the quote from a few weeks ago that they were really going to concentrate on fundamentals that week in practice. He says these things. A lot. He said it at all his previous stops in Fort Collins and Las Cruces and New Orleans.

https://www.rivals.com/barrier_noentry. ... cid=985603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://archives.collegian.com/2005/04/page/20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_7344790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_3645525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... d6a3f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.rivals.com/barrier_noentry. ... cid=985603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You better believe I looked for almost fifteen whole minutes for Stanard's poop, coachspeak quotes.

And this is where he gets off with some fans on "giving him a few years". HE'S HAD 12+ YEARS IN HIS CAREER AS A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

I'm 100% on board for giving Bohl time to establish his system. This year is going about as much as expected even though it's always hard to get through the week to week watching this team. I can't tell which is worse, the offense or the defense. Any coach needs at least 3 to 5 years for positive results. But shame on you if you think Steve Stanard is going to improve any team's defense, ever.

And that includes Craig Bohl.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I don't think we have a good O-Coordinator or D-Coordinator.

But then again, while I am in support of Bohl and think he is the right guy (on paper) I am not on the Bohl love train like many people.

If Bohl doesn't want to make changes to his OC and DC then we are going straight back to the Glenn years.

And if that is the case, then we better hope we at least get the in-state studs and find a Thunder and Lightning and Javon Bouknight.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BeaverPoke wrote:I don't think we have a good O-Coordinator or D-Coordinator.

But then again, while I am in support of Bohl and think he is the right guy (on paper) I am not on the Bohl love train like many people.

If Bohl doesn't want to make changes to his OC and DC then we are going straight back to the Glenn years.

And if that is the case, then we better hope we at least get the in-state studs and find a Thunder and Lightning and Javon Bouknight.
It's his first f-word year here. There hasn't been time to even evaluate the coordinators at this level, just 1 season with players that were recruited for the exact opposite system, or severely lacking in talent and taking major losses due to injury. Stanard was promoted when Bohl's DC was hired to take over at NDSU. And Bohl will keep an eye on the defense. For offense, yeah, Stanard has made some questionable calls at times, but like defense, he's dealing with players that were recruited for the spread. Give him a year or two to see how things go.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

fromolwyoming wrote:... but like defense, he's dealing with players that were recruited for the spread. Give him a year or two to see how things go.
OK, so he's dealing with spread players. Then deal with them. Don't just force something on them they can't handle. Make adjustments to meet them half-way, so to speak. ADJUST ACCORDING TO WHAT YOU'VE GOT. He's a corrdinator, for God's sake, so COORDINATE.