Captain Kirk

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

I gotta give props to this kid, for getting his ass kicked on a weekly basis, and bouncing up like a champ. For Halloween, he should dress up as a bruise. He has made some awesome throws, and done a decent job all considering (including his position coach). I think he got the short stick and no development from dickface and staff the last few years, but he is one player on our roster that really is "cowboy tough".

The offensive line though - that is another story. All fingers point that direction IMO, for our woes. At least on the offensive side of things. I also kind of scratch my head as to why Thorton isn't ran into the game every once and a while for a few series. Not a dual QB situation, just a tool to change the look up a bit. Give him 3 series a game, and see what happens. Hell, it may even help Kirk develop further.

Just my :twocents:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

And he's been getting better at ball security as well. Just wished it didn't take so long for the offense to get into it's groove. But otherwise, he's taken some big shots and gets right back up.

The o-line, yeah. Cummings is promising for the future as a true freshmen, as he's been solid this season.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I agree, tough kid but still lacks vision, awareness and arm strength. That being said, he is a tough SOB and has made some great plays.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

He's middle of the conference, which is better than I thought he was going to do.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/con ... conference
Last edited by Brew_Poke on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

All things considered, CK has done a good job. I definitely don't think the QB position is the main problem with this team. Tough situation that the kid had to deal with and he has played his guts out. Kudos to him for sure.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Exceeded my expectations already. I hope he can finish strong. If he keeps his avg going, he's looking at finishing with 2,500 passing; 18-20 Tds and maybe only 9 INTs.

I'm knocking on wood... I really hope he finishes strong.

I'm also surprised he's above Fajardo. That guy has had only one truly bad game and that was to BSU.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

And don't forget that game-winning pass to Nzeocha he made against San Jose St. Oh wait....

Seriously though, thanks for starting this thread. I needed a laugh!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

SDPokeFan wrote:And don't forget that game-winning pass to Nzeocha he made against San Jose St. Oh wait....

Was that pass he didn't make the same series where he drove us down the field and we took the lead with a FG, with about 4 minutes left? Or was it the next series were he helped drive us down the field to have a chance to win the game with a FG, that we unfortunately missed? Let's face it, you made what now looks to be a pretty stupid observation that Colby isn't an FBS quality QB and so far he's proving you wrong. He's not an NFL prospect, but with the hand he's been dealt he's doing a decent FBS quality job. Why can't you just be happy for the kid? And the thread wasn't a "don't we have the best QB ever" thread. It was just saying that he's been toughing it out.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

cowboyz wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:And don't forget that game-winning pass to Nzeocha he made against San Jose St. Oh wait....

Was that pass he didn't make the same series where he drove us down the field and we took the lead with a FG, with about 4 minutes left? Or was it the next series were he helped drive us down the field to have a chance to win the game with a FG, that we unfortunately missed? Let's face it, you made what now looks to be a pretty stupid observation that Colby isn't an FBS quality QB and so far he's proving you wrong. He's not an NFL prospect, but with the hand he's been dealt he's doing a decent FBS quality job. Why can't you just be happy for the kid? And the thread wasn't a "don't we have the best QB ever" thread. It was just saying that he's been toughing it out.
SDPokeFan is just a bitter tool. Any player shows something good, he'll comb out the kid with a microscope to find something wrong and blow it up to make it seem like they are the worst we have ever had there.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

While CK may not be the best quarterback in the country, he's one tough son of a bitch and someone I would love to have watching my back in a foxhole. The kid is getting the poop knocked out of him, and he keeps getting up. He's got my respect if nothing else. One thing he isn't is a quitter, and this Wyoming team could use a few more kids just like him.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Mistakes happen...and don't think for a second Colby didn't look at that film and realize he fanned on it. He bounced back to give the team the opportunity to still win, and we hit the upright.

Sometimes I appreciate what you say, and your posts. This isn't one of those times. I have the utmost respect for Colby, and all the poop he has endured to get to where he is at right now. He stands behind a patch-work O line, has been sacked 31 times (15% of all passes attempted), hit or knocked down a ton more, and hurried on almost every attempt.
Dear Karma,

Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times

CowboyNV wrote:While CK may not be the best quarterback in the country, he's one tough son of a bitch and someone I would love to have watching my back in a foxhole. The kid is getting the poop knocked out of him, and he keeps getting up. He's got my respect if nothing else. One thing he isn't is a quitter, and this Wyoming team could use a few more kids just like him.
+1
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

McPeachy wrote:

Mistakes happen...and don't think for a second Colby didn't look at that film and realize he fanned on it. He bounced back to give the team the opportunity to still win, and we hit the upright.

Sometimes I appreciate what you say, and your posts. This isn't one of those times. I have the utmost respect for Colby, and all the poop he has endured to get to where he is at right now. He stands behind a patch-work O line, has been sacked 31 times (15% of all passes attempted), hit or knocked down a ton more, and hurried on almost every attempt.

Agree with this. He has his limitations as a QB, but going into this season it seemed that our weakness at QB might be the limiting factor in our success. That just hasn't been the case. This team has been awful in nearly all phases and Colby as been the least of the issues at times. Would we have beaten SJSU with more proficient QB play? Probably, but he still put the team in a position to win it and special teams let us down. Against Hawaii he led the Pokes to a solid lead only to watch the defense practically lay out a red carpet to the end zone. CSU, MSU, and Oregon could have scored 80 if they wanted to, so it didn't matter what Colby did.

QB is always going to get the spotlight and the bulk of criticism. Every team that is under .500 wants a different QB and a different Offensive or Defensive Coordinator (depending on which side of the ball is poop). We are no different, hence the number of posts regarding Colby and Stanard. The reality is that the issues are far deeper and impact nearly every positional grouping.

Summary: On the plus side, Colby has performed better than I expected and I respect his contributions. On the down side, Cameron Coffman is not going to be cure all next year unless he can play DB and PK as well as QB (and that still might not be enough).
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

McPeachy wrote:

He gets sacked a lot because he has absolutely no clue what to do when his first read (the receiver he has pre-determined is getting the ball thrown to him as they leave the huddle, coverage be damned) isn't open. The fact there are people on here praising the play of Colby Kirkegaard tells me two things:

1. A lot of people on here don't know what a competent quarterback looks like;

2. Wyoming football has fallen so far down the poop when someone isn't 100% inept, some people actually think they are good. I weep for this program. I guess at this point people are just desperate for something to cling to.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

He gets sacked a lot because he has absolutely no clue what to do when his first read (the receiver he has pre-determined is getting the ball thrown to him as they leave the huddle, coverage be damned) isn't open. The fact there are people on here praising the play of Colby Kirkegaard tells me two things:

2. Wyoming football has fallen so far down the poop when someone isn't 100% inept, some people actually think they are good. I weep for this program. I guess at this point people are just desperate for something to cling to.

I thought you would enjoy the way Kirkegaard plays QB. Tough, good effort, but just not with top tier (FBS/MWC) talent in terms of arm strength, seeing the field and pocket awareness. IOW, a perfect FCS QB. That's where you want Wyoming to go, right?

For me personally, it's not that Colby is good, it's just that his performance has been way closer to MWC level than the play of many other positional groupings (Defensive Backs and Offensive Line come to mind). If you think having better QB play will solve everything, than I expect some positivity out of you in the offseason because you will see a solid increase in QB play next fall (personally, that just makes me anticipate a lot of 45-31 type of losses since our defense will be atrocious again).
hithere
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:I gotta give props to this kid, for getting his ass kicked on a weekly basis, and bouncing up like a champ. For Halloween, he should dress up as a bruise. He has made some awesome throws, and done a decent job all considering (including his position coach). I think he got the short stick and no development from dickface and staff the last few years, but he is one player on our roster that really is "cowboy tough".

The offensive line though - that is another story. All fingers point that direction IMO, for our woes. At least on the offensive side of things. I also kind of scratch my head as to why Thorton isn't ran into the game every once and a while for a few series. Not a dual QB situation, just a tool to change the look up a bit. Give him 3 series a game, and see what happens. Hell, it may even help Kirk develop further.

Just my :twocents:
In the context of this year and how I thought it would play out... I don't dislike, exactly, Kirkegaard.

He's not terrible. He's not that good, and he's not my favorite qb that's ever played. But damnit, I don't hate the guy. And that's saying something. For me, at least.

I still want to give my tv the boots sometimes when I see some of his decisions and throws, but overall, he's doing what he can with what he has to play with.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

NowherePoke wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

I thought you would enjoy the way Kirkegaard plays QB. Tough, good effort, but just not with top tier (FBS/MWC) talent in terms of arm strength, seeing the field and pocket awareness. IOW, a perfect FCS QB. That's where you want Wyoming to go, right?

For me personally, it's not that Colby is good, it's just that his performance has been way closer to MWC level than the play of many other positional groupings (Defensive Backs and Offensive Line come to mind).... If you think having better QB play will solve everything, than I expect some positivity out of you in the offseason because you will see a solid increase in QB play next fall (personally, that just makes me anticipate a lot of 45-31 type of losses since our defense will be atrocious again).
While CK can and does frustrate people, lets compare him to Brett Smith and see how he is doing. These stats are through the first 8 games for each player (Smith in 2013 and CK in 2014).

....................Att.....Comp....Comp %....Total Yds.....Yds/Comp....TDs....Int....QB Rat....Yds/Game
Smith.............320.....203......63.4........2,367..........11.66..........19......7......133.5......296
CK.................233.....135......66.5........1,682..........12.46...........9......6......126.2......210

What if CK threw as many passes as Smith? What would the numbers show statistically (I know, it is not realistic to play what if, but let's just keep the percentages and run them out for poop and giggles)?

CK.................320,,,,,213......66.5........2,652..........12.46..........14......8......126.2......332

I am in no way saying CK is better than Smith (he's not even in the same zip code). But I am saying that even with all of CK's faults, he's statistically not quite as bad as we all make him out to be. He doesn't have Smith's intangibles, nor his experience, but I think he's holding his own all things considered. You can't blame CK for all of the losses....there is plenty of blame to go around.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: 1. Wyoming football has fallen so far down the poop when someone isn't 100% inept, some people actually think they are good.

2. I weep for this program.

3. I guess at this point people are just desperate for something to cling to.
1. Since 2000, when UW finished 1 & 10 - that is 14 years of being in the poop. We all knew Colby wasn't going to be the next Tom Brady. After Brett and Jason quit and walked, and Bohl got scammed by Mr. Facebook NY JC, my expectations shrank to an all-time low for the QB position at UW. Colby has exceeded my expectations, regardless.

2. I have been weeping since Roach retired. Since Tiller took the safety & left to Purdue. Since Dimel had a boner at Bud's and went to Houston. Since UW hired Vic. Since UW hired Burman. Etc.

3. Yep. Basketball now. Hopefully through March. Then, we go back to Spring ball. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dear Karma,

Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote: 1. Wyoming football has fallen so far down the poop when someone isn't 100% inept, some people actually think they are good.

1. Since 2000, when UW finished 1 & 10 - that is 14 years of being in the poop. We all knew Colby wasn't going to be the next Tom Brady. After Brett and Jason quit and walked, and Bohl got scammed by Mr. Facebook NY JC, my expectations shrank to an all-time low for the QB position at UW. Colby has exceeded my expectations, regardless.

2. I have been weeping since Roach retired. Since Tiller took the safety & left to Purdue. Since Dimel had a boner at Bud's and went to Houston. Since UW hired Vic. Since UW hired Burman. Etc.

3. Yep. Basketball now. Hopefully through March. Then, we go back to Spring ball. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I thought it was the Alibi ;)
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

I thought it was the Alibi ;)
That was Breske & his wife you are thinking of, after hours. :whistle:
Dear Karma,