Embarrassment on ESPN

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Need more fans from Colorado and from Wyo.? Move the university to Cheyenne. Convert LCCC and build a bunch of new buildings. Short of that, nothing will change. The entire west is growing except Laramie. Laramie is the worst town in the state for our only state school. It would have to be done over several years, of course. But we will never have competitive sports again with U of W at the coldest, hardest to access town in the state. Hell, even Casper would be better. If the university wasn't in Laramie, the town wouldn't exist.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

bladerunnr wrote:Need more fans from Colorado and from Wyo.? Move the university to Cheyenne. Convert LCCC and build a bunch of new buildings. Short of that, nothing will change. The entire west is growing except Laramie. Laramie is the worst town in the state for our only state school. It would have to be done over several years, of course. But we will never have competitive sports again with U of W at the coldest, hardest to access town in the state. Hell, even Casper would be better. If the university wasn't in Laramie, the town wouldn't exist.
I've always said move the University to Jackson Hole and put the stadium at the base of the Tetons. That would help recruiting. Plus it would be much closer for me to attend games :D
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Don't we already know our shortcomings? Sparse fan base, money, weather, recruiting.

I know you're just getting at the fact we should fire our AD, but it's deeper than that.
Yes, our current Administration and fans are able to quickly point out our shortcomings. Our AD uses them as excuses for failure. The committee could determine if there is untapped potential or other avenues that could be taken to circumvent our shortcomings. In other words, is the University and our AD doing everything it possibly can and we simply can't overcome our shortcomings or not?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

read alot of these and just wonder when did UW get good enough for us to think that just cuz we have a game televised on a national stage, that we're going to sell out the stadium all the time. Get real people this is Wyoming, hunting seasons going full bore, high school football teams have games going on. The weather getting to and leaving Laramie wasn't the greatest, we all know this this isn't rocket science. Now to be embarrassed by it being on ESPN, don't kid yourself, even though it was the only game on Friday night, do you really think those East of the Mississippi really cared that UW was playing Utah St, get real. Yes the attendance was bad and you think it was for a Friday night Nov 7....just wait until Boise St game on a Saturday on ESPN at 815pm even worse, the only think keeping people around will be a big decent crowd watching the UW-CU game earlier in the day! but again just cuz a college football game is on at 815pm doesn't mean the whole country is really paying attention. Wyoming wasn't meant for night games this late in the season!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

bladerunnr wrote:Need more fans from Colorado and from Wyo.? Move the university to Cheyenne. Convert LCCC and build a bunch of new buildings. Short of that, nothing will change. The entire west is growing except Laramie. Laramie is the worst town in the state for our only state school. It would have to be done over several years, of course. But we will never have competitive sports again with U of W at the coldest, hardest to access town in the state. Hell, even Casper would be better. If the university wasn't in Laramie, the town wouldn't exist.
TIC post? I sure hope so. If not...

Cheyenne wouldn't exist without being the state capital. Casper wouldn't exist without big oil money from the 60's and 70's. Evanston, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Gillette, all wouldn't exist without their "niche's" either. Hell, Cody wouldn't exist without Yellowstone. Sheridan wouldn't exist without the Big Horns & Custer. Etc., etc., etc.

And Laramie certainly is growing, but not to the point that it sucks ass and is uncontrolled chaos like what is going on in Gillette, Cheyenne, and Casper (et al). Say those three town names to most people, and they instantly think of low income blue collar crime with a serious meth issue.

And I disagree...we will have competitive sports at UW - when the state / fans / university collectively want to have competitive sports. It starts at the top though, and unfortunately we have poor leadership, with low expectations and no vision (as has been discussed).

Oh, and Laramie is far from being the coldest, hardest to access town in the state...you must have a serious axe to grind or something. Or again, your post was TIC.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I personally can confirm Laramie is growing. It's not a "BOOM!" explosion in population like some places (thankfully), but it is growing steadily. The number of apartments and houses all over town have been increasing. From 2002-2012, according to the official population survey, Laramie grew by about 3,000 people from 27,000 to 30,000. Easily more than that by now. Hell, the city council has been figuring out for awhile now that Laramie will hit 50,000 within 10-20 years. Not sure how realistic that number is in such a short time, but it is growing enough to get the short attention span of the city council. Which is saying something.
hickaggie
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:

Cheyenne wouldn't exist without being the state capital. Casper wouldn't exist without big oil money from the 60's and 70's. Evanston, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Gillette, all wouldn't exist without their "niche's" either. Hell, Cody wouldn't exist without Yellowstone. Sheridan wouldn't exist without the Big Horns & Custer. Etc., etc., etc.

And Laramie certainly is growing, but not to the point that it sucks ass and is uncontrolled chaos like what is going on in Gillette, Cheyenne, and Casper (et al). Say those three town names to most people, and they instantly think of low income blue collar crime with a serious meth issue.

And I disagree...we will have competitive sports at UW - when the state / fans / university collectively want to have competitive sports. It starts at the top though, and unfortunately we have poor leadership, with low expectations and no vision (as has been discussed).

Oh, and Laramie is far from being the coldest, hardest to access town in the state...you must have a serious axe to grind or something. Or again, your post was TIC.
Cheyenne has only a small travel advantage for Colorado fans, does nothing for Casper or Gillette, and adds a nearly 2 hour Round trip drive to everyone else in the State across an already treacherous I-80 in November. As I indicated in my other long post I think your attendance is remarkable under the circumstances and you'll be packing the house after Bohl puts together a 8-10 win year next year with you guys right in the middle of a MW title hunt.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

McPeachy wrote:

Don't forget about us in Pinedale... Jonah field is our lifeline.

Bondurant just north of Pinedale is on average the Coldest town in Wyoming. Sublette County is considered the "icebox" of Wyoming. Having lived in both Laramie and Pinedale, much more snow and colder temps in Pinedale. Although less wind.
I'm good for 3!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Yes, McPeachy. Tongue in cheek so far it might pop through. I, like you, found this the worst thread on this website I've seen in a long time. That's really saying something. I thought I'd post something as ridiculous as the poster who started this thread.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

I'm really glad the moving the university post was TIC, because I almost gave up on this site. The external committee is baffling too. This thread is depressing.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

bladerunnr wrote:Yes, McPeachy. Tongue in cheek so far it might pop through. I, like you, found this the worst thread on this website I've seen in a long time. That's really saying something. I thought I'd post something as ridiculous as the poster who started this thread.
Got it! ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

VisorHair wrote:The external committee is baffling too. This thread is depressing.
Yeah, most agree with you. So much so, they run a president off that would dare to have such vision as well.

Stay the course. Our hurdles are too insurmountable to succeed. Our fans should just be happy we have a great situation that we are able to succeed to the level we do.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
VisorHair wrote:The external committee is baffling too. This thread is depressing.
Yeah, most agree with you. So much so, they run a president off that would dare to have such vision as well.

Stay the course. Our hurdles are too insurmountable to succeed. Our fans should just be happy we have a great situation that we are able to succeed to the level we do.
The fans didn't run off the president - the BOT did.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Angry mob: I hate this thread so I am going to post in it and keep it alive!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

VisorHair wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

So? Point remains. Why is it baffling to have an external review of the Athletic Department? How dare someone question if we are doing everything we can or if we are just satisfied to compete.

Rick Miller on why WYO lost...

"...and also some terrific players for Nebraska answering the wake up call after they came out flat against a team who wasn't supposed to be very good."

or my favorite:

"would in no way characterize Saturday's game as "same old same old" or that UW should have won the game."

Followed by the same old retread excuses.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

like they'd ever move a major University to another location, cmon, get real
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
VisorHair wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

So? Point remains. Why is it baffling to have an external review of the Athletic Department? How dare someone question if we are doing everything we can or if we are just satisfied to compete.

Rick Miller on why WYO lost...

"...and also some terrific players for Nebraska answering the wake up call after they came out flat against a team who wasn't supposed to be very good."

or my favorite:

"would in no way characterize Saturday's game as "same old same old" or that UW should have won the game."

Followed by the same old retread excuses.
I don't have any idea who Rick is or what you are referring to..

In regards to an external committee, I am under the assumption you are speaking of a committee of outsiders (people who haven't worked within college athletics / fans, season ticket holders, donors, etc). If I'm off base - then sorry! If that's what you are talking about, then please explain why that would work. As far as I know, no big business (any industry) uses an external committee who has zero experience within the particular industry, EXCEPT some schools have sub committees such as the marketing group they put together and athletic boards, etc. (IE: Cowboy Joe Club Board of Directors)

If you are referring to a committee such as the one the old president brought it - it's already been done and they submitted a report. Whether you believe it was worth a poop or not, it happened. But that group included folks who have lived and breathed college athletics at a high and successful level. Not through purchasing season tickets and sitting at home pretending to be a coach.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

External committee consisting of athletic administrators from P5 and G5 conferences, economic experts (like the one SJSU used), perhaps a single CJC rep, Joe Tiller, maybe Gags, etc. Bottom line, majority is outside of the good old boy network.

No, I think once Sternberg was forced out, we have no idea what was really in the report. UW paid for it and were first evaluators in it. The difference in my proposal is that the fan group pays for it and the primary report, unfiltered, goes to the fans. We can get the questions answered that we want.

I'm surprised you don't know Rick, but his comments to Sternberg highlight the mentality that is infiltrated our AD. Everything is too hard at WYO and we should be happy with close losses.

BS, can you imagine Bohl spewing that kind of nonsense?
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

I googled him - the VP of General Counsel?

Either way, Tom has no reason to care what he says. Rick can worry about student conduct or whatever he does.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Rick is but a mere example of the underlying issues with our athletic program. Issues where administration and fans have bought into this nonsense that it is okay to lose because it is harder at WYO. Burman himself has used the old recruiting disadvantage as an excuse.

Bottom line, one idea is to have an external review of our athletic department from top to bottom to identify problems in leadership, implementation of strategic plans, etc. What is wrong with that?

8 years ago CSU was down and out. 3 and 4 win seasons with a budget less than ours. 8 years later, they are a T25 team eyeing the Access bid and surpassed us in budget. Meanwhile, during that time we haven't progressed at all and Burman almost destroyed our bball program.

But, hey, everything is harder at WYO, so we should just be happy that they field a team, right?