Embarrassment on ESPN

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Exactly what pokefan1980 said..

The variables that play into revenue are endless. AF went up bc they now have to pay for travel differently, they lost the government funding so the monies were re-routed. I know UNLV's is extremely high but they are broke. Capital campaign money falls under revenue and almost all the schools you listed raised a lot of money for new facilities. Boise is on another level with ESPN & BCS money.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Burman himself has been quoted indicating we are in the bottom end of the MWC and this is after the 3 biggest budget teams left. In other words our position hasn't changed at all. Realistically, how much worse could the past 8 years have been?

Bottom line is this, our problems have not been 100% coaching. We need a thorough and independent review of our entire AD. I'm not sure why you think it is absurd or would be so opposed. If our AD is all roses as you suggest, then there should be nothing to hide.

As CFB world is changing, we need to evaluate where we are, where we can be, and what it would take. SJSU did a budget analysis and were slammed for what they were trying to do to support athletics. If we would have to take such avenues, then I would agree with avoiding those.

I ask again, what do you have against transparency and why is it okay to criticize athletes (as you did in the post I quoted) but not administrators?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Burman himself has been quoted indicating we are in the bottom end of the MWC and this is after the 3 biggest budget teams left. In other words our position hasn't changed at all. Realistically, how much worse could the past 8 years have been?

Bottom line is this, our problems have not been 100% coaching. We need a thorough and independent review of our entire AD. I'm not sure why you think it is absurd or would be so opposed. If our AD is all roses as you suggest, then there should be nothing to hide.

As CFB world is changing, we need to evaluate where we are, where we can be, and what it would take. SJSU did a budget analysis and were slammed for what they were trying to do to support athletics. If we would have to take such avenues, then I would agree with avoiding those.

I ask again, what do you have against transparency and why is it okay to criticize athletes (as you did in the post I quoted) but not administrators?
Because I know our defense as a unit tends to suck. I also understand the difficulties related to budgetary issues within college athletics and know it's not a personnel issue.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
hithere
Ranch Hand

VisorHair wrote:I googled him - the VP of General Counsel?

Either way, Tom has no reason to care what he says. Rick can worry about student conduct or whatever he does.
From your posts, I'm assuming you're very close to the Athletics Department. It's interesting to me the attitude that seems to be pervasive that the AD's office shouldn't care about what the University's General Counsel says.

I'm not a big fan of Tom Burman and I'm probably reaching here because my objectivity is admittedly very clouded but is Athletics in that much of a vacuum that the General Counsel's office that deals with most legal matters on campus, in particular athletics compliance, should be treated as a non-entity? The office headed by the man who used to serve as UW's Vice President of Government, Community and Legal Affairs seems like a good of a resource as any to get tips from on how to get money out of the legislature. Because, you know, having anything to do with athletics administration at UW is so gosh darn hard.

Is the whole athletics department this ignorant, or just you? Because this is a message board after all and I like to run my mouth off here sometimes too. Or does Rick Miller just have a nice title and serves as little more than a figurehead? It's more than likely I'm ignorant about his role as well. Anyone besides VisorHair know?

But somehow it wouldn't surprise me if the AD's office does indeed have this somewhat cavalier attitude and continues to preach hard work while continuing to fail... because they/you know best on how to continue to not win?
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I don't know if you can completely blame budgets for our lack of success.

"But Kansas, we see teams with greater budgets succeed."

- True, we do. And for every Alabama and Florida St., there is an Ohio or Southern Alabama, or Western Kentucky who tend to constantly do well.

"But Kansas, if we increase our budget we can have better recruiting, hence better success on the field."

- Again, could be true, but money doesn't always matter. Hence Kansas, Iowa St., Washington St. Your overall bottom dwellers, who struggle to succeed. Money may bring in recruits, but on our current budget, we've proven to bring in some pretty great recruits.
Yarbrough, Smith, Wick, Moore, Wendling, Gipson.
The point is Money does not buy success on the field. Money cannot make certain catches, runs, passes, blocks or tackles. That is sheer determination. And I think our budget has finally brought in a coach who is going to pull that out of these players. That is the difference.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Our AD has two plans: 1) hopefully hire the right coach and 2) hopefully get more money from the State.

Burman himself acknowledged we are falling behind our peers:
“It makes sense that we’re not keeping up with our counterparts as far as spending," Burman said. "When you take a million dollars out of your budget, you’re going backwards.
If the plan to get money from the State fails?
"This market won’t sustain, by itself, a Division I athletics program without the state of Wyoming and the Legislature.”
One Independent Committee (of Sports Professionals) already made several observations. Two of which are:
"It is not a secret that UW has real challenges that influence competitiveness in athletics. However, there appears to be an attitude that UW Athletics has simply accepted this as the reality of today’s world instead of focusing on improvement."
And..
Another of the consultants' recommendations proposed that the athletics program re-brand itself, changing the way it presents itself to recruits and fans nationally, notably via uniforms and advertising campaigns.
You can say what you want, but I think our AD needs critical evaluation. When you've gone through as many coaches as we have, you have to start to wonder if bad coaching is a symptom of other underlying illnesses. More importantly, are there treatments for those illnesses.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 626d2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

One of my favorite all-time quotes that I wish we would steal...
“Our mantra is ‘Entitled to Nothing"; We never talk about what we don’t have, but rather live by the maxim ‘Win Anyway,”--Bob Walsh
The article the quote came from http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer ... with-less/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a bad read and perhaps some things we could learn or experiment with.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

One of my favorite all-time quotes that I wish we would steal...

“Our mantra is ‘Entitled to Nothing"; We never talk about what we don’t have, but rather live by the maxim ‘Win Anyway,”--Bob Walsh

The article the quote came from http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... with-less/

Not a bad read and perhaps some things we could learn or experiment with.
Good quote, good attitude.

And it might be possible to do what Rhode Island College and VCU have done, if we did the biggest thing they did: eliminate football.

But I doubt that would go down very well.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:
Good quote, good attitude.

And it might be possible to do what Rhode Island College and VCU have done, if we did the biggest thing they did: eliminate football.

But I doubt that would go down very well.
Or we take some of their other practices and try to see if those work first. I know your comment is tic, but you've hit on something a lot of G5 teams will be evaluating in the near future. I don't think we will have to, or at least hope not.

If Burman's prophecy is correct, we don't get another plan, and the State doesn't pony up, then according to Burman we will be facing that very question.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Or we take some of their other practices and try to see if those work first. I know your comment is tic, but you've hit on something a lot of G5 teams will be evaluating in the near future. I don't think we will have to, or at least hope not.

If Burman's prophecy is correct, we don't get another plan, and the State doesn't pony up, then according to Burman we will be facing that very question.
A bit tongue-in-cheek, but more like a thought experiment.

And I was just reacting to the article, which did have some good psychological observations, but which observations might not really deal with the real world elephant in the room: football. That's why the article had to choose as its two shining examples schools which have gone all-in on Olympic sports, and are able to do so because they don't have football.

What do I think about football generally? I think you're right. As more and more schools confront that elephant, there will gradually be more discussions about dropping football. (No, I am NOT advocating for UW.)
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

hithere wrote:
VisorHair wrote:I googled him - the VP of General Counsel?

Either way, Tom has no reason to care what he says. Rick can worry about student conduct or whatever he does.
From your posts, I'm assuming you're very close to the Athletics Department. It's interesting to me the attitude that seems to be pervasive that the AD's office shouldn't care about what the University's General Counsel says.

I'm not a big fan of Tom Burman and I'm probably reaching here because my objectivity is admittedly very clouded but is Athletics in that much of a vacuum that the General Counsel's office that deals with most legal matters on campus, in particular athletics compliance, should be treated as a non-entity? The office headed by the man who used to serve as UW's Vice President of Government, Community and Legal Affairs seems like a good of a resource as any to get tips from on how to get money out of the legislature. Because, you know, having anything to do with athletics administration at UW is so gosh darn hard.

Is the whole athletics department this ignorant, or just you? Because this is a message board after all and I like to run my mouth off here sometimes too. Or does Rick Miller just have a nice title and serves as little more than a figurehead? It's more than likely I'm ignorant about his role as well. Anyone besides VisorHair know?

But somehow it wouldn't surprise me if the AD's office does indeed have this somewhat cavalier attitude and continues to preach hard work while continuing to fail... because they/you know best on how to continue to not win?
I have a hard time taking you seriously, bc I know Taylor would weap if he saw his headshot associated with the stuff you write. Anyways, the text underlined above says it all. I just admitted me not knowing who Rick is and how his role shouldn't project the entire viewpoint of the athletic department. Pretty sure that's what we were talking about. Never said anything about Rick and a budget. Thanks though!

hithere
Ranch Hand

VisorHair wrote:
I have a hard time taking you seriously, bc I know Taylor would weap if he saw his headshot associated with the stuff you write. Anyways, the text underlined above says it all. I just admitted me not knowing who Rick is and how his role shouldn't project the entire viewpoint of the athletic department. Pretty sure that's what we were talking about. Never said anything about Rick and a budget. Thanks though!
You're welcome!

Who the f-word is Taylor and why should I care what he does?

Your mistake (and this Taylor character's) would be to take seriously any thoughts put down to words on a message board. Especially mine.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I sure hope it wasn't TIC.

haha
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Huge crowd in Corvallis tonight. I thought UW was the only team that fails to fill the stands with big opponents in town. Hmm....
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Huge crowd in Corvallis tonight. I thought UW was the only team that fails to fill the stands with big opponents in town. Hmm....
Umm, okay?
40k+.
Crowd showed up a little late but they were there.

And did you notice the field rushing after the win? OS did not fail to fill the stands.

Nice try though. :thumb:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Huge crowd in Corvallis tonight. I thought UW was the only team that fails to fill the stands with big opponents in town. Hmm....
Umm, okay?
40k+.

And did you notice the field rushing after the win? OS did not fail to fill the stands.

I watched it too, there were empty sections everywhere. For a stadium that holds 45k, it was a lot of room for 40k+... Besides my bro in law was there he took several pics and even commented on it being sparse.
Besides for a school located smack in the middle of Corvallis (pop 55k) and a total pop of 668k just within a hundred miles from Creswell to McMinnville. From Sweet Home to Yachats, that hundred mile radius just gave you one and a half the pop of the entire state of WYO. Within ONE HUNDRED MILES... Not the majority of your fans traveling 200 miles plus.
And still not a huge crowd! What the Hell! A 4-5 Beaver team can't sellout against the #6 team in the nation! But hey, at least they won in front of a few fans...
Seriously:
The War: 29,086
Laramie: 30,000
One hundred mile radius of Laramie: 108,000/ 95k of that is Laramie and Cheyenne. And even Cheyenne is stopped by a mtn pass when in bad weather.
State of WYO: 590,000

Reeser stad: 45,600
Corvallis: 55,000
One hundred mile radius of Corvallis: 668,000 (vast majority of this pop has easy drive to Corvallis.)
Pop of Oregon: 3,830,000

Hmmm? Yep, seems equal to me.

Do you pass your math classes? If you don't let me help you out: Oregon St has a greater population to pull from. Even if you cut it in half with the ," the Ducks pull from that pop too." argument.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Umm, okay?
40k+.

I watched it too, there were empty sections everywhere. For a stadium that holds 45k, it was a lot of room for 40k+... Besides my bro in law was there he took several pics and even commented on it being sparse.
Besides for a school located smack in the middle of Corvallis (pop 55k) and a total pop of 668k just within a hundred miles from Creswell to McMinnville. From Sweet Home to Yachats, that hundred mile radius just gave you one and a half the pop of the entire state of WYO. Within ONE HUNDRED MILES... Not the majority of your fans traveling 200 miles plus.
And still not a huge crowd! What the Hell! A 4-5 Beaver team can't sellout against the #6 team in the nation! But hey, at least they won in front of a few fans...
Seriously:
The War: 29,086
Laramie: 30,000
One hundred mile radius of Laramie: 108,000/ 95k of that is Laramie and Cheyenne. And even Cheyenne is stopped by a mtn pass when in bad weather.
State of WYO: 590,000

Reeser stad: 45,600
Corvallis: 55,000
One hundred mile radius of Corvallis: 668,000 (vast majority of this pop has easy drive to Corvallis.)
Pop of Oregon: 3,830,000

Hmmm? Yep, seems equal to me.

Do you pass your math classes? If you don't let me help you out: Oregon St has a greater population to pull from. Even if you cut it in half with the ," the Ducks pull from that pop too." argument.
This.

They may have sold 40k but there weren't 40k in the stands.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Umm, okay?
40k+.

This.

:roll: This thread should be renamed "Spout ignorant poop!" That's all of us not just beave. Can we please kill this thread?
52-56
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

jessejames02 wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Umm, okay?
40k+.

This.

:roll: This thread should be renamed "Spout ignorant poop!" That's all of us not just beave. Can we please kill this thread?
Not a chance in hell. Like we've said before, we've had far worse threads than this.

I like Beav. But I got to be honest. Since going from UW to OSU, the Beav has flipped a 180. Defending hisCowboys and supporting his team, even in the bad times to acting more like an OSU fan and treating his Cowboys "second rate". I'm not the only one to notice this change. He wants to say its because he's finally to the point of being annoyed that we can't win and we have the," we'll have to wait till next year" mantra. But he completely flips 180 when he KNOWS this was going to be a down year, and when he just so happened to go to his other favorite school (which is having a down year as well. I mean all that talent coming back, and they are 5-5. But at least they beat ASU...) You know, I'm a WYO fan. Grew up one too, in RS. The Beav, Evanston. I liked KSU, mainly due to Bill Snyder, and now I live in Kansas. I'm in no way a KSU fan. I watch them. I like seeing some of my players play there. But just because I appreciate KSU, doesnt mean I'm going to start bashing Wyoming, the fans, players, coaches, etc. I'm just wondering if he was only a WYO fan while living in Wyoming and going to school at UW, because as a student, that's what you should do, and since leaving his true colors are starting to show (orange and black). That's all.