playoff doesn't do squat.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

How can a 1 los TCU rank above another 1 loss team that beat TCU?
Wacky. :?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:How can a 1 los TCU rank above another 1 loss team that beat TCU?
Easy. The 1 loss team that beat TCU has only 2 wins against top 25 opponents and lost to a 6-4 team.

TCU has 5 wins against top 25, including 3 against top 10 opponents.

While I see your point, beating someone early in the season by 3 points in a crazy-high scoring game doesn't mean you have automatically earned the right to be perpetually ranked above them.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Baylor's SOS was hot garbage. Plus, Baylor beat TCU by three on their homefield.. neutral site I think TCU would demolish them.
ImageImageImageImage
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

That's one of the things I'm liking about the new system. They aren't just looking at record and head-to-head. Yes TCU lost but they've been very impressive all season including in their loss. Also, FSU has looked like dog poop all year; yeah Oregon lost but I still think they are better than an undefeated FSU team.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:How can a 1 los TCU rank above another 1 loss team that beat TCU?
Easy. The 1 loss team that beat TCU has only 2 wins against top 25 opponents and lost to a 6-4 team.

TCU has 5 wins against top 25, including 3 against top 10 opponents.

While I see your point, beating someone early in the season by 3 points in a crazy-high scoring game doesn't mean you have automatically earned the right to be perpetually ranked above them.
:thumb:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I think conference games should matter. If Baylor manages to beat K-State, they should jump TCU. Another way to look at it, is that TCU lost to a team that lost to an unranked team. How can you on one hand say head to head matters against WV but not against Baylor.
"By the end of the season if they both win out, TCU and Baylor will have played the same round-robin schedule (except for the game against each other). They will have both beaten three ranked teams. TCU's non-conference schedule is already admittedly better. Tiebreaker? Baylor beating TCU 61-58 last month.

TCU has that slightly better non-conference schedule and slightly better loss. (Baylor lost on the road to unranked West Virginia.) TCU has beaten three top 25 CFPs. Baylor has beaten two."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -standings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

This is pointing towards what we thought all along, take the conference champs play a 8 game bowl play in system, it can and will work out, for lesser teams they should tie in a playoff system in the lesser bowls to have their season mean something as well.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I think conference games should matter. If Baylor manages to beat K-State, they should jump TCU.
They just might. TCU's remaining schedule is cake. Baylor's isn't so much.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

This is why I love the playoff system as it currently id. It has enhanced the regular season with these arguments. I think if we went to 8 or more it would let enough people in the arguments wouldn't be as fun. It will eventually go to 8 but I am currently enjoying 4 as it is.

As to TCU vs Baylor, Baylor's SOS is bad due to their OOC schedule TCU dominated a good Minn team while Baylor played Buffalo. Their SOS will go up as the year proceedes and that will close the gap with TCU. But at this point TCU's resume is better than Baylor's. As of now TCU has better wins, including K-state who Baylor hasn't played, and a better lose. By the end of the year the H2H might make up for the lose to WVU when everything is considered but at this point it does not.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:I think conference games should matter. If Baylor manages to beat K-State, they should jump TCU.
They just might. TCU's remaining schedule is cake. Baylor's isn't so much.
Very true. Might be a premature topic.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I don't care, it doesn't affect us. In fact, I hope they screw it up beyond all recognition. College football is about tv ratings and revenue generation and teams that lack it get screwed. The 1996 team went 10-2 and didn't get a bowl game invite, soon afterward Congress investigated the NCAA bowl system, smaller conference teams were given a chance to compete in the big money bowls and Boise St and Utah proved they deserved the shot.

We are full circle back to a $ system to determine the "champs". Let the BCS teams whine about who is in and not in, I don't care anymore. Why care about a corrupt sport (I consider the 'Power 5" and the "playoffs" a different sport because MWC teams have no chance of participating) I cheer on my Pokes, watch other MWC teams, follow MWC recruiting, root for the local HS team, and coach youth football... too busy to care which deep pocket teams get left out of the "playoffs" TV & radio shows dedicated to discussing "who's in?" cause me to switch the station, no interest in it one bit. I guess the only interest I do have is whether they really think fans in our area care, or if they are trying to develop an interest. Personally, I think they are trying to create interest, but for fans of teams outside the top 10 why would anyone care?

College football used to be my favorite sport, way more than NFL football. I thought it was a more interesting and exciting level of football full of kids with promise. Now I'm pretty disgusted with the system and could care less about the Power 5 teams issues because it means nothing to me. I think the NCAA has killed the interest for some fans like myself that feel like our team is playing a different sport. Given the chance I will watch a MWC game over the others any chance I get, because those teams mean something to me.

Sorry for the rant.

Go Pokes!
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Fullback41 wrote:I don't care, it doesn't affect us. In fact, I hope they screw it up beyond all recognition. College football is about tv ratings and revenue generation and teams that lack it get screwed. The 1996 team went 10-2 and didn't get a bowl game invite, soon afterward Congress investigated the NCAA bowl system, smaller conference teams were given a chance to compete in the big money bowls and Boise St and Utah proved they deserved the shot.

We are full circle back to a $ system to determine the "champs". Let the BCS teams whine about who is in and not in, I don't care anymore. Why care about a corrupt sport (I consider the 'Power 5" and the "playoffs" a different sport because MWC teams have no chance of participating) I cheer on my Pokes, watch other MWC teams, follow MWC recruiting, root for the local HS team, and coach youth football... too busy to care which deep pocket teams get left out of the "playoffs" TV & radio shows dedicated to discussing "who's in?" cause me to switch the station, no interest in it one bit. I guess the only interest I do have is whether they really think fans in our area care, or if they are trying to develop an interest. Personally, I think they are trying to create interest, but for fans of teams outside the top 10 why would anyone care?

College football used to be my favorite sport, way more than NFL football. I thought it was a more interesting and exciting level of football full of kids with promise. Now I'm pretty disgusted with the system and could care less about the Power 5 teams issues because it means nothing to me. I think the NCAA has killed the interest for some fans like myself that feel like our team is playing a different sport. Given the chance I will watch a MWC game over the others any chance I get, because those teams mean something to me.

Sorry for the rant.

Go Pokes!
I completely agree with you.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

That makes three of us. Does anyone really want to watch Alabama win anything in football?
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote:That makes three of us. Does anyone really want to watch Alabama win anything in football?
Most sanctioned team in NCAA history?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I lost faith in college football and wyoming's ability to compete after I read the "bag men" article. Basically, the big boys have dudes handing over sacks of cash to recruits and players . Not having a real post season tournament doesn't help.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

At this point we just have to hope that the commissioners of the G5 programs come to the realization that they will never be allowed to compete in the playoff and make their own playoff.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:At this point we just have to hope that the commissioners of the G5 programs come to the realization that they will never be allowed to compete in the playoff and make their own playoff.
yes....I am not sure how this isnt on the table
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:At this point we just have to hope that the commissioners of the G5 programs come to the realization that they will never be allowed to compete in the playoff and make their own playoff.
The Access Bowl spot is important enough, I guess? Still, end game may be exactly what you propose.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Instead of saying we can't compete and starting our own playoff, fully separating ourselves why can't we wait this out a couple of seasons until the big boys realize 4 isn't enough for the playoffs and then start advocating for 8 or 16 teams for the playoff.

I think once some Bamas, Texas, Oregons, Ohio States, etc are left out (5th-8th) in the polls, the P5 will advocate more than 4 teams.
We just need to wait it out a few seasons. I really hope and believe it will expand and we will be back in.
Every conference will get an in. Like the hoops tourney.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.