Coaching Changes

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

With Muschamp out at Florida.. I'm excited to see the carousel begin!

First two obvious openings: Florida & Michigan

Predictions:

Florida - Jim McElwain

Why: AD Foley already said Rich Rod & Mullen are OUT. Mullen and Foley don't have a great relationship. Mullen is very cocky. McElwain already a proven OC in SEC, has HC experience, success at CSU.

Michigan - Dan Mullen

Why: UM moving outside of UM alum's for first time. Mullen turned around perennial bottom feeder MSU. Has made comments regarding leaving to prior assistant's in last year or so.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
BJC
A Real Cowboy

You may just be spot on.

Just wonder if the Florida hire (probably a good one) will be seen as a good hire by alums. Assuming they have narrowed a few targets or already know?

*Anyone with an ear to the ground in ft collins? :popcorn:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BJC wrote:You may just be spot on.

Just wonder if the Florida hire (probably a good one) will be seen as a good hire by alums. Assuming they have narrowed a few targets or already know?

*Anyone with an ear to the ground in ft collins? :popcorn:
It's possible. The guy does know the SEC pretty well. And has shown to be a capable HC.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Didn't McElwain resign with a new contract with an expensive buy-out? Here is what I found regarding his buy-out :

"As far as buyouts are concerned, McElwain (or whatever institution potentially hired him away) is required to pay $7.5 million or his salary for how many months and years remain on his contract — whichever is more — should he leave prior to Dec. 31, 2018."

From the Coloradoan http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/ ... /13934315/

That is a pretty large buy-out Florida would have to pay, not so sure they would be up to paying CSU $7.5 million to get him. Who knows Florida does have some deep pockets for their athletics, maybe they are willing to pay the buy-out.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I don't see there to be any chance that McElwain goes to Florida. Florida is one of the schools that can pick a coach up out of almost any school. They can get a big12 or acc coach. Now the carosel that results from the florida job might get McElwain but I don't see him directly going to UF. Also McElwain is a Alabama guy. Would Florida hire an Alabama guy. I wouldn't think so.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

I doubt the buyout is a huge concern.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Buyouts at Florida can't be too serious. I don't think UF will hire anyone from B12 or ACC unless they have SEC ties.. coach has to know how to attack recruiting to stand up against Alabama. Foley has to knock this out of the park or he'll be next to lose his job.
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

TSpoke wrote:I don't see there to be any chance that McElwain goes to Florida. Florida is one of the schools that can pick a coach up out of almost any school. They can get a big12 or acc coach. Now the carosel that results from the florida job might get McElwain but I don't see him directly going to UF. Also McElwain is a Alabama guy. Would Florida hire an Alabama guy. I wouldn't think so.
Agree with this. McElwain is a solid coach, he turned around a complete turd of a program in 3 years. But he won't be going to Florida. The domino effect could certainly take him though, although the price is steep for an "Arizona" type program.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

That would crack me up if the ewes' savior-coach bolted for Florida. I'm actually hoping for this.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Nebraska nabbing Bohl in a couple years makes me really nervous, however.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I would view this season as a success if McElwain bolted. I would love nothing more than to watch CSU lose their best asset. Please god.

Next year? What do you mean next year. I think Bohl's loyalty will be tested this offseason by Nebraska. I don't see "The Nose" patrolling the sidelines in Lincoln next year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Nothing wrong with having a program that wins 11+ games and loses their coach. The foundation would be laid, and the predecessor would have a legit shot at maintaining it. Call it stepping-stone, or whatever. Better than running though coaches continually - that all win 5 or so games a year and get fired after 3 - 5 years (Vic, Glenn, Dickface).
It has been a while since that happened at UW (Tiller). But I would welcome it at this point. With open arms.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cowduck
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote:I don't see there to be any chance that McElwain goes to Florida. Florida is one of the schools that can pick a coach up out of almost any school. They can get a big12 or acc coach. Now the carosel that results from the florida job might get McElwain but I don't see him directly going to UF. Also McElwain is a Alabama guy. Would Florida hire an Alabama guy. I wouldn't think so.
You're right, I don't see Florida hiring a guy from a non P-5 conference.

Wait...

Also, McElwain's only ties to Alabama are the three years he spent there as OC, so it isn't like the guy bleeds crimson. Jeremy Foley is not so stupid as to disqualify a candidate just for ever having been employed by an SEC rival.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

If having ties to another SEC school disqualified one from consideration, then Saban wouldn't be at Alabama, Malzahn at Auburn, Mullen at Miss. State, or Steve Spurrier at S.Carolina. Hell, even Muschamp played at Georgia and coached at Auburn prior to going to UF.

McElwain has more ties to the State of Montana than he does to Alabama. So could certainly be a fit, I could see it, but also wouldn't be surprised to see someone else get it, like Todd Graham from ASU.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

VisorHair wrote:With Muschamp out at Florida.. I'm excited to see the carousel begin!

First two obvious openings: Florida & Michigan

Predictions:

Florida - Jim McElwain

Why: AD Foley already said Rich Rod & Mullen are OUT. Mullen and Foley don't have a great relationship. Mullen is very cocky. McElwain already a proven OC in SEC, has HC experience, success at CSU.

Michigan - Dan Mullen

Why: UM moving outside of UM alum's for first time. Mullen turned around perennial bottom feeder MSU. Has made comments regarding leaving to prior assistant's in last year or so.
I think that there is a more likely thing that McElwain goes to Michigan instead of Florida. Alabama is a hated rival of Florida and I doubt that they will hire an Alabama guy.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:If having ties to another SEC school disqualified one from consideration, then Saban wouldn't be at Alabama, Malzahn at Auburn, Mullen at Miss. State, or Steve Spurrier at S.Carolina. Hell, even Muschamp played at Georgia and coached at Auburn prior to going to UF.

McElwain has more ties to the State of Montana than he does to Alabama. So could certainly be a fit, I could see it, but also wouldn't be surprised to see someone else get it, like Todd Graham from ASU.
Or Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. Would love to see him leave Norman.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowduck wrote:
You're right, I don't see Florida hiring a guy from a non P-5 conference.

Wait...

Also, McElwain's only ties to Alabama are the three years he spent there as OC, so it isn't like the guy bleeds crimson. Jeremy Foley is not so stupid as to disqualify a candidate just for ever having been employed by an SEC rival.

1. Urban Meyer accomplished much more than McElwain has at this point. Unless you are assuming that CSU is going to win the MWC and then get an access bowl and win it. Even then Urban did it without a guaranteed spot with fewer bcs games and went undefeated.
2. College football is different now than it was then. The SEC has much more prestige now than it did then. They are far and away the conference coaches want to coach in, both with pay and championship potential. A terrible Arkansas team took a coach from the B1G. McElwain having 1 good year at CSU is not gonna be enough to get the boosters to pay the 8 million for his buyout to come to Florida. I think they will make a splash hire and I don't think McElwain is a splash. I think Todd Graham or Rich Rod would be more likely hires.

I don't know why people want him to leave. I want to beat CSU when they are good. I want to beat them with that studpid buck toothed gary busey looking SOB still standing on their sideline.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

That would be one big splash of a hire. If I'm Stoops though, I don't know if I'm ever leaving Norman. Consistent national title contender, easier conference than the SEC, enough historical success that you aren't getting fired unless you really screw the pooch. Of course, Muschamp was the heir apparent to the football mecca and he left for Gainesville, so who knows.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I would view this season as a success if McElwain bolted. I would love nothing more than to watch CSU lose their best asset. Please god.

Next year? What do you mean next year. I think Bohl's loyalty will be tested this offseason by Nebraska. I don't see "The Nose" patrolling the sidelines in Lincoln next year.
I don't think Nebraska will can Pellini this year, but I do think when they do can him (I think he'll get canned when he turns in his next mediocre-by-Nebraska-standards season) Bohl will be Nebraska's primary object of desire. Hope I'm wrong and Pellini stays for a good long time.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

I find it hilarious how disillusioned some Nebraska fans are. They could easily finish the season at 10-2, or even fall to 9-3 and they are acting like they are going to be 2-10. In scanning some of their message boards this weekend there was a consistent trend: "this is unacceptable, another year without a conference championship". Maybe they should ask Northwestern and Indiana fans how they feel. They certainly are more prestigious than those schools, but they act as if they should win the NC every year! Go ahead and fire Bo, the next guy won't do any better.