Coaching Changes

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote: 1. Urban Meyer accomplished much more than McElwain has at this point. Unless you are assuming that CSU is going to win the MWC and then get an access bowl and win it. Even then Urban did it without a guaranteed spot with fewer bcs games and went undefeated.
2. College football is different now than it was then. The SEC has much more prestige now than it did then. They are far and away the conference coaches want to coach in, both with pay and championship potential. A terrible Arkansas team took a coach from the B1G. McElwain having 1 good year at CSU is not gonna be enough to get the boosters to pay the 8 million for his buyout to come to Florida. I think they will make a splash hire and I don't think McElwain is a splash. I think Todd Graham or Rich Rod would be more likely hires.

I don't know why people want him to leave. I want to beat CSU when they are good. I want to beat them with that studpid buck toothed gary busey looking SOB still standing on their sideline.
I dunno about "much more" - Urban had two solid seasons as HC at BGSU and the two Utah seasons before taking the Florida gig. In year three McElwain has CSU headed for a one-loss season, and although Grayson will be a big loss they appear to be relatively young so a similar or better season next year is likely. McElwain also has accomplished way more as an assistant than Urban had (ie, two NC's as OC of Alabama under Saban).

The SEC is as it always has been. Florida may want to make a splash but Foley is smart enough to look under every stone in this search and McElwain has to be considered a serious candidate until further notice.

On the last point, we agree. I want to beat CSU when it really matters.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Patterson doesn't wanna leave tcu unless they win the national championship.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
hithere wrote: I think Dana Holgorsen might be in the conversation too.
Good one. Definitely should be on a list. I've wondered about Art Briles as well.
I too was wondering about Briles, but this guy has Texas (the state, not UT) written all over him. He was born and raised in Texas, played at Houston, transferred to Texas Tech, got a Masters at Abilene Christian, coached at 5 different Texas high schools, then coached at Texas Tech, Houston, and now Baylor. I don't know if this guy has ever left the state outside of away games!

Then again, money can buy a lot of things, but he strikes me as the type of guy that might just stay put for a while.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
hithere wrote: I think Dana Holgorsen might be in the conversation too.
Good one. Definitely should be on a list. I've wondered about Art Briles as well.
I too was wondering about Briles, but this guy has Texas (the state, not UT) written all over him. He was born and raised in Texas, played at Houston, transferred to Texas Tech, got a Masters at Abilene Christian, coached at 5 different Texas high schools, then coached at Texas Tech, Houston, and now Baylor. I don't know if this guy has ever left the state outside of away games!

Then again, money can buy a lot of things, but he strikes me as the type of guy that might just stay put for a while.
Hadn't thought about that, but great point. Aside from his probable desire to stay in TX, his success might depend on it. He might not have the recruiting knowledge and ability anywhere other than TX? Interesting; hadn't really thought about that until you brought it up.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

ok so take this with the biggest grain of salt you can find.....but I have heard through the rumor mill that Bohl is pissed at Nebraska for the way they treated him when he was there many years ago. I honestly feel pretty comfortable with our situation with Bohl, and at his age I think Wyoming is his last stop. I could be totally wrong, but he is going to have to win some more games before we need to start worrying about losing our coach. He could start by working on special teams a little bit. :thumb:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Dutchnation wrote:ok so take this with the biggest grain of salt you can find.....but I have heard through the rumor mill that Bohl is pissed at Nebraska for the way they treated him when he was there many years ago. I honestly feel pretty comfortable with our situation with Bohl, and at his age I think Wyoming is his last stop. I could be totally wrong, but he is going to have to win some more games before we need to start worrying about losing our coach. He could start by working on special teams a little bit. :thumb:
Bohl is what, 55? That's not very old for a D1 FBS coach. Period. If he was in his late 60s early 70s, then I could see this being his last season. But he's not.

But I have heard the same thing in regards to him and Nebraska. Not sure how much there is to it, but I have heard it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Dutchnation wrote:...he is going to have to win some more games before we need to start worrying about losing our coach. He could start by working on special teams a little bit. :thumb:
I welcome the thought (and dream) of Bohl heading to greener pastures. As if that happened, it would come on the heals of a championship or 2, and I would be MORE THAN FINE with that! Much rather go that route, than the hire-fire path we have been on since the 90's.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
VisorHair wrote:With Muschamp out at Florida.. I'm excited to see the carousel begin!

First two obvious openings: Florida & Michigan

Predictions:

Florida - Jim McElwain

Why: AD Foley already said Rich Rod & Mullen are OUT. Mullen and Foley don't have a great relationship. Mullen is very cocky. McElwain already a proven OC in SEC, has HC experience, success at CSU.

Michigan - Dan Mullen

Why: UM moving outside of UM alum's for first time. Mullen turned around perennial bottom feeder MSU. Has made comments regarding leaving to prior assistant's in last year or so.
I think that there is a more likely thing that McElwain goes to Michigan instead of Florida. Alabama is a hated rival of Florida and I doubt that they will hire an Alabama guy.
Michigan won't hire someone without them being a "Michigan man."
Almost positive the Pres. said they will look outside of Michigan Alumni for first time, can't find link at the moment.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Wyo2dal wrote:I don't think Mullen is going anywhere, I could be wrong but something tells me he will be there for a while.
I'm telling you.. he's gone. The recruits on bench behind the upperclassmen aren't spectacular, and he knows it

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Harbaugh is not a good fit at the 49ers, when Hoke is released there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be the next UM coach, and McIwaine isn't going any where at this time..
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
Dutchnation wrote:...he is going to have to win some more games before we need to start worrying about losing our coach. He could start by working on special teams a little bit. :thumb:
I welcome the thought (and dream) of Bohl heading to greener pastures. As if that happened, it would come on the heals of a championship or 2, and I would be MORE THAN FINE with that! Much rather go that route, than the hire-fire path we have been on since the 90's.

Agree!! Plus if that happens, maybe by then there will be someone within the program to take the reigns and we won't see much drop off. Much like what happened at NDSU when Bohl left. Who knows...I like where we are heading though.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

VisorHair wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:I don't think Mullen is going anywhere, I could be wrong but something tells me he will be there for a while.
I'm telling you.. he's gone. The recruits on bench behind the upperclassmen aren't spectacular, and he knows it
sort of off topic......didn't follow them too much but he basically had 1-2 amazing recruiting classes then fell off? Like he did some shady things to get guys then relaxed on it when the heat was on? :winky:
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

stymeman wrote:Harbaugh is not a good fit at the 49ers, when Hoke is released there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be the next UM coach, and McIwaine isn't going any where at this time..
I think they will do everything in the world they can to bring in Harbaugh.. and I think there's a good shot. Why do you think McElwain** won't go anywhere?? What does he owe CSU?

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

VisorHair wrote:
stymeman wrote:Harbaugh is not a good fit at the 49ers, when Hoke is released there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be the next UM coach, and McIwaine isn't going any where at this time..
I think they will do everything in the world they can to bring in Harbaugh.. and I think there's a good shot. Why do you think McElwain** won't go anywhere?? What does he owe CSU?
I think McElwain can up his own stock a little more, and take over a Pac12 or Big12 program, by staying another year or two at CSU. He hasn't really accomplished much yet. That will likely change in 6 weeks or so, but still, as of now, he doens't have much.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

BJC wrote:
VisorHair wrote:
sort of off topic......didn't follow them too much but he basically had 1-2 amazing recruiting classes then fell off? Like he did some shady things to get guys then relaxed on it when the heat was on? :winky:
Great question! I don't have an answer for it unfortunately.

BJC
A Real Cowboy

how do we know this about the underclassmen...not saying it isn't true but...well...where is this coming from?
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

BJC wrote:how do we know this about the underclassmen...not saying it isn't true but...well...where is this coming from?
Just word from coaching staff who played them and has relationship with members of staff at MSU

BJC
A Real Cowboy

got you......should be interesting :popcorn:
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I would view this season as a success if McElwain bolted. I would love nothing more than to watch CSU lose their best asset. Please god.

Next year? What do you mean next year. I think Bohl's loyalty will be tested this offseason by Nebraska. I don't see "The Nose" patrolling the sidelines in Lincoln next year.
I dunno....those blue hairs in Lincoln sure seem to love droopy dog
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
hithere
Ranch Hand

Doc Holliday to Florida?