Scholarship offers for wyo kids

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

Hi guys,

I just joined the site. I have been a Wyo fan my whole life. I was just reading about the two kids from Natrona that have been offered scholarships to play for UW. The Bartlett kid has an offer obviously and I think the kid from Big Horn will probably get offered as well if he hasn't already. I have heard that the Covington kid from Mtn View might also be in talks with UW. That means there is a legitimate shot at UW getting 4-5 kids from the state in next years recruiting class. Has anyone watched these guys play or have any insight on them? Is there any other kids from around the state that UW might be looking at?

Thanks and I hope to continue to post from now on.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Hi! Welcome!

Mayer from Big Horn doesn't have an offer yet, but I hope he gets one. Two Natrona kids both have offers. It'd be nice to put a few local kids on the team.
ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Bohl appears to be keeping his promise of "looking under every rock in the state" for kids that can play D1 football. It's nice to see local kids getting these scholarship offers. They certainly would have been overlooked in the past.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I'd feel better if they preferred walk on unless are legit talent. Is Bartlett the only true D1 prospect? And be honest with yourself
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

laxwyo wrote:I'd feel better if they preferred walk on unless are legit talent. Is Bartlett the only true D1 prospect? And be honest with yourself
That's my worry, too. I'll trust that the coaching staff knows who will be able to contribute on the field for now, though.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I don't think any of the Wyoming kids being looked at / recruited (with the exception being Tevis - if he works hard in the off season / summer) would see the field next fall. Lot of learning and bulking up to do.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

I don't know if they are all legitimate D1 prospects thats why I asked if anyone had any insight or had watched them play. They all have pretty good size. Mayer (Big horn) is something like 6'2 190 and set a bunch of records for receiving in the state. The Natrona kids are projected as outside linebacker/strong safety and are 6'2"-6'4" 205-210 range. The Covington kid is 6'2" range and looks about 220-230 and played running back so must be somewhat quick.

I hope they all get offers if they are good enough to contribute to the pokes but I trust Bohl and his staff to do their evaluations.

I remember NDSU's running back when we played them in 2008 and he was a North Dakota kid that was pretty good. I hope Bohl can turn some local kids out like he did at NDSU.

I also remember reading an article about when the University of Colorado turned their program around in the 80's-90's the change came after a bunch of instate kids decided they wanted to turn around the program. I hope that happens here even if the kids are offered a preferred walk on and earn a scholarship later.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

rich22 wrote: They all have pretty good size
Yes, but what they need is speed. I think most of the freshmen are shocked by the speed of the D1 game. They just don't see this in small high school play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

rich22 wrote:I also remember reading an article about when the University of Colorado turned their program around in the 80's-90's the change came after a bunch of instate kids decided they wanted to turn around the program. I hope that happens here even if the kids are offered a preferred walk on and earn a scholarship later.
I've heard of a similar thing about Nebraska under Osborne, tons of under-recruited, Nebraska farm boys were big contributors to their success and culture. I really hope these kids can play and contribute to a winning culture at Wyoming. There might be something to having kids that actually want to be in Laramie playing for the Cowboys vs. having perhaps more talented kids that are not excited to be here and don't work hard. One of these kids could be the next Wendling or Prosinski.....or they could turn out like Drew Martinez or Austin Woodward, out of the program in two years or less. Makes me hopeful and nervous at the same time cuz scholarships are valuable!