BSU @ UW : Game Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Here is a partial list. This is missing the players who don't play on Saturdays. You can add 4 or maybe 5 ACLs to this list and probably 3 stress fractures all in the foot.
http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Slow Hand wrote:I hate to say I told you so but I am going to.... ha ha. Realistically we won't beat good teams with this style of offense because it stagnates the offensive point production and the dated "Tampa Two" defense can't stop anyone without great athletes. Coach Bohl's system took the strength of our team and made it irrelevant. Our receiving corps was average at best and that can only be accredited to the scheme because we had relatively the same athletes as years before. I like Coach Bohl but he has to step into this century if he wants to beat teams at the D1 level consistently. Now I am not advocating a hurry up offense but I am saying that we have to mix up a little new with the old. Interestingly enough when DC was here everyone put the blame on the offense because they put the defense on the field too much....now I am hearing people say that the running backs' legs look tired, the receivers can't get separation, the O-line can't get it done, they aren't in good enough shape........yada yada yada! Sounds like the same ol' poop with a different melody to me. On another note the high incidents of injuries have to be looked at! When have we ever had this many ACL and over use injuries in the history of our program? Having a vision is one thing but trying to reach it in one season is ludicrous! The volume of reps and the expectations in spring ball and during the season is incredible. Most of you have NO IDEA what the players endure. Many of the overuse injuries like stress fractures and strains are not even publicized on the official injury list because the players could be considered "not relevant." In other words they don't play on Sat. Soooo I guess what I am saying is I like Coach Bohl's vision but I think his implementation of it was a bit overzealous. Bottom line is we aren't any better this year than we were last. Oh well there is always next year. LOL
1. Paragraphs are not only your friends, but ours as well.

2. You're really judging Bohl's offense year one in transition from the spread? This ain't NCAA Football 14 where you can automatically adjust a player's stats to be more suitable to another style of offense. The o-line (which is where every offense begins) was recruited for the spread, meaning they are naturally going to be smaller and more attuned to the zone blocking system. The pro-style requires a larger o-line. And if he can get those kinds of players at NDSU, he can get them here. It just takes more than 1 year.

3. Bohl's Tampa 2 is a different kind than usual. Someone posted a link to how he adjusted it a while back to accommodate the more spread/pass oriented offenses that have become prevalent in football. He made it work pretty damn well at NDSU. Once again, give him time. Because not only was our defense destroyed by injuries, but they were recruited to only slow down opposing defenses and were otherwise ignored by DC the last 5 years. They showed flashes, but much like the offense, it takes time to get the guys needed for the defense.

4. It takes any coach more than 1 year to transition a team from one style of football to practically it's opposite, Bohl included.

5. SDSU runs a similar offense and has quite a bit of success, if they could only find a good QB, and a better OC, they would have a good chance of winning 10 games a season. Hell, NDSU, where Bohl came from, ran the ball down other team's throats, including teams like K-State, Minnesota, and even the sheep. The offense, and defense too, for that matter, work. He just needs time to get the guys he needs to implement them.

6. By year 3, we should be seeing signs of where the program is actually headed, rather than jumping to conclusions in year 1. Especially with things like "Oh, we need to run a gimmicky offense because no one at our level can run a pro-style offense!" or "Bohl and company need to get into the 20th century! Their offensive and defensive philosophies are too old fashioned!" So chill out on those and give the staff a chance before you judge them.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I am not argueing the fact that it is going to take time...in fact you have reiterated my point. Expecting a transition in year one is ludicrous. I guess my point is that I feel like many of the injuries are because of over use issues. The driving question in my head is "are we in better shape than we were last year." I am not sure we are. When I watch practices and games I see the same level of exhaustion as I have in the past. Perhaps the driving force in practice is teaching kids how to finish. Maybe it is a mental state, or maybe it is just to get rid of the riffraff. I don't know. Using SDSU as an example is a poor use of empirical evidence as we have no aspirations to ever be like SDSU. As far as paragraphs are concerned.......well they are way over-rated. Ha Ha Ha!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Oh I forgot....NDSU arguments have little or no merit at the D1 level.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Slow Hand wrote:Oh I forgot....NDSU arguments have little or no merit at the D1 level.
*sigh*

NDSU, and all of FCS for that matter, ARE Div 1. That's why they've been able to play such teams. And still makes it valid.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Oh I forgot....NDSU arguments have little or no merit at the D1 level.
*sigh*

NDSU, and all of FCS for that matter, ARE Div 1. That's why they've been able to play such teams. And still makes it valid.
Not valid, an occasional win doesn't make it valid. The same could have been said of Joe Glen.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

.....and BTW a head coach is only as good as his assistants. we have some work to do in that department. LOL
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:
djm19 wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:I hate to be a downer, but this will look exactly the same next year against the top tier teams. Why? Because the offense is to old fashioned - too predictable - too old school smash-mouth style. Works in D-II because of the caliber of players Bohl could get relative to other D-II schools. Doesn't work in D-I.
Seems to work for teams like Alabama.
I should have expanded my last sentence by "Doesn't work in D-I at a place like Wyoming against top tier teams".
No way can Wyoming recruit the caliber of players that Alabama does.
Alabama's not the only one. Minnesota's a prime example, with facilities disadvantage and lacking a storied recent past and all.

Maybe you should ask San Jose State if that style is too old-fashioned to work in FBS: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-fo ... ame04.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
*sigh*

Not valid, an occasional win doesn't make it valid. The same could have been said of Joe Glen.
I agree to some extent. However, I don't think Bohl is a Joe Glenn. I think with patience and recruiting, UW will contend in the MWC. But, this year, and especially this last game, has shown us that our cupboard is pretty bare.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

It takes time. Look at basketball. We've been clawing up the ladder and knocking on the door since Shyatt arrived. This is the first year we actually have all the pieces to make a run. And he only worries about what, 12 players on his roster. bohl has to worry about 80+. It's going to take time to build the skill and depth. We'll get there.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Here is what troubles me. We may very well get there but in order to do that we are going to have to be patient. Realistically we should be there in 5 years or so. But mathematically Bohl doesn't have that many years left after the target date. So what then? We hire another coach with another system and look forward another five years? The issue in Wyoming, at least recently, is we can never get there because either the plan doesn't work out ( DC) or a coach moves on, or he is so damn old he begins to slur his words like Lou Holtz! It seems to me we need some consistency which goes against everybody's natural trend on a coaching change. With a new coach people think we need a new system. Why? Are you telling me that DCs system is not successful and doesn't work? Come on man, look at all of the spread teams that are having success. I would argue that there are more mediocre teams having success with the spread then there are with the Pro style. This isn't a knock on Bohl but what if we would have went out and got a spread coach...then the recruits are in the right system and at least you can build on some component of an outgoing coach! Seems to make sense at least in some small part to me. You could still build the cowboy tough attitude and preach the finish philosophy and run the spread! So my argument is this: Had we hired a tough nosed Spread style coach we would have been more successful in year one of the transition. Done right, it could have yielded results quicker. So what about when Bohl leaves....for what ever reason, will we change philosophies again? Maybe by then the Spread Offense will be "Old School' enough that we will consider it. ;-)
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming - no paragraph breaks just for you. ;-)
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Per Vorel, Bohl cannot ever remember having this many season ending injuries! Maybe it is time to evaluate preparation?????
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

I think you need a break from beating on Bohl and the team
W-Y, Until I Die!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:I think you need a break from beating on Bohl and the team
Once again not beating on anyone. Just pointing out what Bohl himself said today!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

I mean the system is pretty much over, we've covered most of this
W-Y, Until I Die!