Why this year was not a failure...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Yes, we were 4-8. We lost some games we should've won. But we complain about CSUs amazing success as opposed to our failures. CSU was not as great as their 10-2 record would suggest. Not to mention they had a vet QB and quality WRs. And McEllwain was just as bad his first year at CSU as was Bohl his first year. And the MWC was not as bad as some would like to say it is. Let's look at some numbers to prove my point.
Just the Mtn division alone:
1. BSU 11-2 #22
2. CSU 10-2 (RV)
3. USU. 9-4
4. AFA. 9-3
5. UNM. 4-8
6. WYO. 4-8
Total rec: 47-27

What of each teams SOS? (Just going off of each opp records this year):
1. WYO 90-61 (.596) 4-8
2. BSU. 89-70 (.559) 11-2
3. UNM 80-68 (.540) 4-8
4. USU 79-80 (.496) 9-4
5. AFA. 65-81 (.445) 9-3
6. CSU 64-82 (.438) 10-2

BSU had six headline game against quality opp.
- Ole Miss (9-3) L; CSU (10-2) W; ULL (8-4) W; AFA (9-3) L; BYU (8-4) W; USU (9-4) W: (4-2)
WYO had six headline games against even tougher comp:
-AFA (9-3) W; Oregon (12-1) L; Mich St (10-2) L; CSU (10-2) L; USU (9-4) L; BSU (11-2) L: (1-5)
UNM came out with five top games:
- ASU (9-3) L; AFA (9-3) L; BSU (11-2) L; USU (9-4)L; CSU (10-2)L: (0-5)
USU with four:
- BYU (8-4) W; AFA (9-3) W; CSU (10-2) L; BSU (11-2) L: (2-2)
CSU and AFA only had three:
-BSU, USU and eachother. AFA finished 2-1 losing only to USU; CSU finished 1-2 only beating USU.

BSU is the only true quality team that had a good schedule and finished with only 2 losses.
CSU and AFA took advantage of a very weak schedule!
USU was right in the middle with SOS and finished with a good record.
UNM played everyone tough, even some of their top comp., but still could get no wins.
WYO had an insane schedule. And it showed, on top of the fact that we were transitioning this year with a new staff and we did not come out of most games unscathed. Injuries hit us hard this year. And our Vet QB and top backup left.

When all is said and done 4-8, not bad for year one. Yes, I think we left four wins on the field: Haw, SJSU, USU and UNM.
Which should get people excited. Because even with that insane schedule we were only a few plays away from being 8-4.

Take it how you want. But, I did not expect any close games and expected a far worse record. WYO is on the rise!
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Well put. This is a foundation/framing type year. We have some pieces in place to be successful next season if the QB situation shakes out ok. Short of Oregon, Boise, and Michigan State and csu to a certain extent, we were in each game. Take 2 big plays away from the USU game and it's a different ball game, a missed field goal against SJSU goes a little to the left and executing on the final drive at UNM and we are bowling this season. Here's to next season and an easier schedule.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

You do realize that when we lose to all those guys in our division, minus the AFA game, it boosts our SOS and weakens theirs?

We just went 1-4 in MTN play. If two teams play 10 times, and one loses 9 times, of course they can say their SOS was .900 and their opponents was only .100.

Don't need to convince us that this season was not a failure, because, well it was.
Yeah we knew it would be a long transition. But it always is. We had a QB who couldn't hit the only wide open guy in the endzone to win a game, and we got poop stomped coming out of 2 bye weeks, and lost to the Sheep again.

The bright side was the Fresno State game showed us what we could be, and Wick and Hill are going to dominate people IF IF IF we get a OLine.

Not trying to rain on the parade but I am so sick of "Waiting til next year".
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Yes, MWC was as bad if not worse than everyone was saying. I guess unless you are comparing to Sun Belt, then yeah, it wasn't that bad.

Compared to the MWC of old, it was crap.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:You do realize that when we lose to all those guys in our division, minus the AFA game, it boosts our SOS and weakens theirs?

We just went 1-4 in MTN play. If two teams play 10 times, and one loses 9 times, of course they can say their SOS was .900 and their opponents was only .100.

Don't need to convince us that this season was not a failure, because, well it was.
Yeah we knew it would be a long transition. But it always is. We had a QB who couldn't hit the only wide open guy in the endzone to win a game, and we got poop stomped coming out of 2 bye weeks, and lost to the Sheep again.

The bright side was the Fresno State game showed us what we could be, and Wick and Hill are going to dominate people IF IF IF we get a OLine.

Even if we had won all our games in our division, our SOS was still above and beyond everyone else. That was my point. CSU, you always talk about them turning the corner and being so much better than us. But were they really? That schedule of theirs was pretty pussified. Not to mention they to struggled with teams that were sub par.
AFA is the same. 0-12 Nicholls st. Great win! 1-11 shootout with Georgia St. Awesome! 4-7 Army. Their best OOC game was 6-5 Navy. Same with CSU, best OOC game 7-5 BC. Other than that they played losers. And they weren't teams who just fell apart during the season, these teams were projected to be losers, like Tulsa and UCD and Colorado.
This is why I said BSU was the the only legit team. They had a tough schedule , but still managed 11 wins.
WYO had all the top teams in our conf on the schedule and then throw in #2 Oregon and #8 MSU. That's a tough test for anyone. Like I said on a previous post, I'd sure like to see how well CSU would've done with our schedule. Next years schedule looks to be more along the lines of USUs this year, in strength. So it may bea little easier for us.
And now Beav you will have to be doubly sick of the "Wait till next year." mantra since OSU lost their beloved coach. But then again, OSU always seemed to underachieve every year, so, just wait till next year, it might be better.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Csewe played and won at Boston College. At the time, that looked like a high quality win. So BC only ended up 7-5, but they only lost to Florida state by 3. I do agree that csewe's 10-2 is a little misleading, but they beat the hell out of us and most of the teams in the conference rather easily. Not bad for a team that had to replace their entire offensive line.

God knows we always have ready made excuses for our poop play; injuries, players quitting, we need more birthdays, etc........
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:Csewe played and won at Boston College. At the time, that looked like a high quality win. So BC only ended up 7-5, but they only lost to Florida state by 3. I do agree that csewe's 10-2 is a little misleading, but they beat the hell out of us and most of the teams in the conference rather easily. Not bad for a team that had to replace their entire offensive line.
God knows we always have ready made excuses for our poop play; injuries, players quitting, we need more birthdays, etc........
True CSU beat BC, but, the only reason they were getting a lot of mention was because of their Fla QB transfer Murphy. Everyone still expected them to be a middle of the pack ACC team. And they may have came close against Fla St. But who didn't? That was FSUs fortay this year. Play like crap all game long and then pull a comeback. And if that is an argument, then we must be just as good as Arizona who just lost 51-13 to Oregon, since we lost to them 48-14?
And yes, CSU beat the hell out of us for 3/4 of the game, and then we came back. People have tried to make the excuse that they were putting in the backups. I've watched that game a few times. All of their starters both on O and D were playing to the end. They also struggled with 3-9 SJSU, and a 2-10 Colorado team aswell.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

simply not true. BC was getting pub because they beat USC the game before csu came to town. And USC had just beat Stanford.

Of all the arguments made on this board, I cannot understand the "they were killing us and we came back" argument. Grayson was pulled 1/2 way through the 4th quarter. And I don't care what anyone says, when you're way ahead, your intensity drops. It's human nature. To have this false sense that we somehow were not totally overwhelmed by a far superior team because we scored 2 late td's when we were down 28 is beyond comprehension. But I guess if it makes you feel better, great.

I was at the CU game btw. Csu physically manhandled CU in the second half of that game. CU may have been 2-10, but they lost to UCLA and Cal in overtime and lost to Utah by 4. No, they weren't great. But I guarantee they would have beat us.

I'll tell you what, if we go 10-2, I won't complain one bit if our 2 losses are Air force and Boise state. and all of the wins are by 1 point. 10-2 is 10-2. We haven't won 10 games in our last 2 years combined.

To your point that Mcelwain's first year was terrible, I will agree with that. But he must have recruited pretty damn well because their talent level sure went way up, especially on defense.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:You do realize that when we lose to all those guys in our division, minus the AFA game, it boosts our SOS and weakens theirs?

Even if we had won all our games in our division, our SOS was still above and beyond everyone else. That was my point. CSU, you always talk about them turning the corner and being so much better than us. But were they really? That schedule of theirs was pretty pussified. Not to mention they to struggled with teams that were sub par.
AFA is the same. 0-12 Nicholls st. Great win! 1-11 shootout with Georgia St. Awesome! 4-7 Army. Their best OOC game was 6-5 Navy. Same with CSU, best OOC game 7-5 BC. Other than that they played losers. And they weren't teams who just fell apart during the season, these teams were projected to be losers, like Tulsa and UCD and Colorado.
This is why I said BSU was the the only legit team. They had a tough schedule , but still managed 11 wins.
WYO had all the top teams in our conf on the schedule and then throw in #2 Oregon and #8 MSU. That's a tough test for anyone. Like I said on a previous post, I'd sure like to see how well CSU would've done with our schedule. Next years schedule looks to be more along the lines of USUs this year, in strength. So it may bea little easier for us.
And now Beav you will have to be doubly sick of the "Wait till next year." mantra since OSU lost their beloved coach. But then again, OSU always seemed to underachieve every year, so, just wait till next year, it might be better.
OSU always underachieves? Hmm... interesting because Riley is known as the coach who always did more with less. Hell even in a 5-7 season one of the wins was against a #6 ranked team.

I have no issue with waiting for next year, when it is really waiting for the following season. But when it is the same thing year after year after year, then it sucks.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

But I do agree that CSU did have an easier path to 10-2 than we did, but the fact is, they still got it taken care of.

CSU and their football future all depends on their next hire I think. Sure they are a longshot for the Big12, but if they don't get a coach who can immediately fire up the fanbase, and replicate their 2013 success they have NO shot.

Regardless, 4-8 is a failure. So is 5-7. So is anything not getting to a bowl game.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:simply not true. BC was getting pub because they beat USC the game before csu came to town. And USC had just beat Stanford.

If this is the case, then the NJIT basketball team needs to be in the Top 25 and be gaining national pub after beating Michigan after Michigan had just beat #23 Syracuse.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:But I do agree that CSU did have an easier path to 10-2 than we did, but the fact is, they still got it taken care of.

CSU and their football future all depends on their next hire I think. Sure they are a longshot for the Big12, but if they don't get a coach who can immediately fire up the fanbase, and replicate their 2013 success they have NO shot.

Regardless, 4-8 is a failure. So is 5-7. So is anything not getting to a bowl game.
So then OSUs 5-7 season was then a failure and you will have to wait til next year. And the new coach will have a new QB to break in and a new scheme to implement, which means probably another losing season, and you will has to wait till next year again. Sounds familiar.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:simply not true. BC was getting pub because they beat USC the game before csu came to town. And USC had just beat Stanford.

If this is the case, then the NJIT basketball team needs to be in the Top 25 and be gaining national pub after beating Michigan after Michigan had just beat #23 Syracuse.
Comparing pre conference bb to football is so stupid that I'm wondering who's posting in your name now.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

Comparing pre conference bb to football is so stupid that I'm wondering who's posting in your name now.
Not at all. Comparing at team to another based on who they beat is dumb.

That's like WYO surprising the world and beating Oregon this last year just after they beat MSU and then us receiving national pub for it, then to barely beat FAU the next week and then to get blown away 56-14 to MSU who also lost to Oregon and then finish the year the way we did. The point is that BC beating USC did not Make CSUs win a quality win. In the end it was nothing but a win against a middle of the pack ACC team. Had BC finished the season off right, then it would've been a quality win. But it wasn't. It was just a close win against a tough team.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Comparing teams based on common opponents is done all the time in the gambling world and even to select national championships. The fact that upsets in football on the proportion of us beating Oregon are unheard of versus basketball, where preseason upsets hardly cause a blip on the radar, seems completely lost on you.

The year we beat Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament, we lost to a terrible DU team. But hey, while you're at it, compare football to girls softball, whatever it takes to make a stupid argument. And if this year wasn't a failure, I dont won't to know how bad it would have to get for you to classify any year as a failure.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Going 4-8 in the Mountain West is a failure PERIOD.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I'd be more disappointed if this was year 2. Losing to Sjsu and Hawaii was terrible but it happens.
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:But I do agree that CSU did have an easier path to 10-2 than we did, but the fact is, they still got it taken care of.

So then OSUs 5-7 season was then a failure and you will have to wait til next year. And the new coach will have a new QB to break in and a new scheme to implement, which means probably another losing season, and you will has to wait till next year again. Sounds familiar.
The difference between Wyo and OS going 5-7 and getting a new QB, is that the Beavs have an entire roster full of QBs, and they aren't transferring away leaving us with a Colby Kirkgaard and a bunch of freshman.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

The difference between Wyo and OS going 5-7 and getting a new QB, is that the Beavs have an entire roster full of QBs, and they aren't transferring away leaving us with a Colby Kirkgaard and a bunch of freshman.
Hey Beav, how were the Beaver's prior to Mike Riley?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

Hey Beav, how were the Beaver's prior to Mike Riley?
Terrible. About the time Wyo football started to suck is when Oregon State football quit sucking.