CFP Committee sells out

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I do have to put some blame on the Big12. Just have a dam conf championship and decide a winner. This whole "co-champion" thing screwed TCU and Baylor.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Actually, Baylor and TCU screwed themselves, by not winning all their games. They have a perfect example in Florida State. If you want to guarantee your spot into the playoff, win all your games in a P5 league. It's that simple. If you don't lose a game, you don't give the committee an excuse to leave you out.

Oh, and if you do lose a game, you better make sure you played P5 teams in the preseason, or you're in the SEC. They can do whatever they want.

Anyone else wondering why Alabama got a "free pass" to #1? Their one loss was worse than TCUs. Hell, Oregon's one loss was to a lower ranked team than both of them (and at home). TCU losing to Baylor (thus Baylor getting the head-to-head advantage) screwed TCU more than anything else. TCU had the better resume, but lost out to Baylor, thus allowing an absolutely red-hot Ohio State team to get to #4.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

spindoctor02 wrote:Actually, Baylor and TCU screwed themselves, by not winning all their games. They have a perfect example in Florida State. If you want to guarantee your spot into the playoff, win all your games in a P5 league. It's that simple. If you don't lose a game, you don't give the committee an excuse to leave you out.
Couldn't agree more. EVERY P5 team had a chance at a NC. I would say mission accomplished. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that the #1 team in the land is not in the playoff.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

spindoctor02 wrote:Actually, Baylor and TCU screwed themselves, by not winning all their games. They have a perfect example in Florida State. If you want to guarantee your spot into the playoff, win all your games in a P5 league. It's that simple. If you don't lose a game, you don't give the committee an excuse to leave you out.

Oh, and if you do lose a game, you better make sure you played P5 teams in the preseason, or you're in the SEC. They can do whatever they want.

Anyone else wondering why Alabama got a "free pass" to #1? Their one loss was worse than TCUs. Hell, Oregon's one loss was to a lower ranked team than both of them (and at home). TCU losing to Baylor (thus Baylor getting the head-to-head advantage) screwed TCU more than anything else. TCU had the better resume, but lost out to Baylor, thus allowing an absolutely red-hot Ohio State team to get to #4.
That undefeated and in is only true for a big school. Baylor and TCU still could have been hosed being undefeated. FSU sure as hell doesn't deserve a play off spot.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Couldn't agree more. EVERY P5 team had a chance at a NC. I would say mission accomplished. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that the #1 team in the land is not in the playoff.
I'd put money that Baylor or TCU could beat any of the teams in the play off so I disagree 100%, OSU on the other hand has no business being in the play off they just paid for a spot.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

6 teams for 4 spots, two teams are going to get hosed. I actually think they got it right. It was too difficult to choose Baylor OR TCU. OSU killing wiscy gave them an out
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:
I'd put money that Baylor or TCU could beat any of the teams in the play off so I disagree 100%, OSU on the other hand has no business being in the play off they just paid for a spot.
And if they won every game, they would have had a chance to prove it. Nobody to blame but themselves.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
And if they won every game, they would have had a chance to prove it. Nobody to blame but themselves.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11993095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is exactly how I feel 100% he nailed it dead on, If it was Texas or Oklahoma instead of Baylor or TCU they would have been #4. Even Mack Brown agrees with this. Not only did he agree with it he said he knew as a coach that he got the benefit of being Texas.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: This is exactly how I feel 100% he nailed it dead on, If it was Texas or Oklahoma instead of Baylor or TCU they would have been #4. Even Mack Brown agrees with this. Not only did he agree with it he said he knew as a coach that he got the benefit of being Texas.
The point remains, however. Every team had a shot at the NC. Win and there is no argument. If TCU or Baylor win all their games, they would be in. They didn't get screwed. They put themselves in a situation in which they did not control their own destiny. FSU would definitely be out if they didn't win all of their games.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: This is exactly how I feel 100% he nailed it dead on, If it was Texas or Oklahoma instead of Baylor or TCU they would have been #4. Even Mack Brown agrees with this. Not only did he agree with it he said he knew as a coach that he got the benefit of being Texas.
The point remains, however. Every team had a shot at the NC. Win and there is no argument. If TCU or Baylor win all their games, they would be in. They didn't get screwed. They put themselves in a situation in which they did not control their own destiny. FSU would definitely be out if they didn't win all of their games.
So when you say that you should be including all teams in that and yes OSU as well. Big IF none of them won all their games but OSU has more money and is nationally recognized. They didn't get in on merit they got it on past accomplishments.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: So when you say that you should be including all teams in that and yes OSU as well. Big IF none of them won all their games but OSU has more money and is nationally recognized. They didn't get in on merit they got it on past accomplishments.
Yep. Every team had their chance. Frankly, I wonder if it is as much about OSU's money as it is about the Baylor-TCU dilemma. Had TCU been a clear champ, I wonder?

Either way, IMO, it doesn't matter. TCU had their own destiny in their hands and they lost. So did Baylor. That left them to the mercy of the committee. 1 additional win by either of them or a FSU loss would have put one of them in.

I just don't see some huge injustice and I despise OSU.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Wyo2dal wrote:So when you say that you should be including all teams in that and yes OSU as well. Big IF none of them won all their games but OSU has more money and is nationally recognized. They didn't get in on merit they got it on past accomplishments.
Ohio State: 12-1 record, 9 wins vs. Bowl teams
TCU: 11-1 record, 6 wins vs. Bowl teams
Baylor: 11-1 record, 5 wins vs. Bowl teams

Granted, Ohio State had the worst loss, but you can't just state it's all about money. Ohio State won 1 additional game (B1G Title Game), and defeated 3 more bowl teams than TCU and 4 more then Baylor. The committee stressed "quality wins" all season, and outside of TCU, Baylor, K-State, and maybe Oklahoma, the Big 12 was down this season. And without that conference championship game, giving whomever wins another "quality win", the Big 12 set themselves up for failure without an undefeated team.

But go right ahead, and keep blaming it on money. Of course, Ohio State just backed the Brinks truck up to the Gaylord Conference Center on Saturday night, and they got their prize. It couldn't possibly be because of the resume of each team. Why decide it on the field? Just open the bidding now.

/sarcasm
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

spindoctor02 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:So when you say that you should be including all teams in that and yes OSU as well. Big IF none of them won all their games but OSU has more money and is nationally recognized. They didn't get in on merit they got it on past accomplishments.

Granted, Ohio State had the worst loss, but you can't just state it's all about money. Ohio State won 1 additional game (B1G Title Game), and defeated 3 more bowl teams than TCU and 4 more then Baylor. The committee stressed "quality wins" all season, and outside of TCU, Baylor, K-State, and maybe Oklahoma, the Big 12 was down this season. And without that conference championship game, giving whomever wins another "quality win", the Big 12 set themselves up for failure without an undefeated team.

But go right ahead, and keep blaming it on money. Of course, Ohio State just backed the Brinks truck up to the Gaylord Conference Center on Saturday night, and they got their prize. It couldn't possibly be because of the resume of each team. Why decide it on the field? Just open the bidding now.

/sarcasm
Ouch.
Game. Set. Match.

Just destroyed the Big12.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yeah. An argument could be made for any of those three teams getting into the playoff. You could paint an argument with the right statistics to show any one of them should be #4. The committee had to make a splitting hairs decision and they went to OSU. It wasn't a conspiricy or anything. What incentive did the members have to pick OSU over the others. Possible inherint bias but it wasn't like OSU was undeserving. I personaaly wanted to see TCU in it because I find myself cheering for them due to our past afiliation but can't really complain about OSU getting in.

Just be glad its not the BCS anymore. Oregon or Alabama would have been left out.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

spindoctor02 wrote:

/sarcasm
You're right I will keep blaming the name on the front of the jersey and the fact money speaks louder than on field performance and it's entirely what is wrong with College Football today.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Baylor's coach was crying discrimination against southern teams because only one on committee was from south. That's f-word rich!
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wait so after the resumes are put up next to eachother you still have a problem with Ohio State getting in?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

If Big12 performance thus far is any indication, the TCU or Baylor might get smoked thereby validating the Committee's decision. It will be interesting to see the top 2 Big 12 teams.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TCU = impressive! Great dominating win for the Frogs. They did for Big12 what BSU did for MWC.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:TCU = impressive! Great dominating win for the Frogs. They did for Big12 what BSU did for MWC.
And Baylor looks amazing as well. MSU could have run up 80+ on us if they wanted and the Bears are housing them right now. Speed does indeed kill!