MWC Bowl Games 2014

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

So, I wanted to get some opinion on the MWC bowls this year.

Nevada vs. Louisiana-Lafayette - R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
Utah State vs. UTEP- Gildan New Mexico Bowl
Utah vs. Colorado State- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl
Western Michigan vs. Air Force- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Navy vs. San Diego State- San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
Fresno State vs. Rice- Hawai'i Bowl
No. 20 Boise State vs. No. 10 Arizona- VIZIO Fiesta Bowl

Nevada vs. Louisiana-Lafayette.....(SNOOOOOOOOOOZE) I won't even watch it probably.

Utah State vs. UTEP.... Decent matchup, once again, lame bowl.

Utah vs. Colorado State.....this game intrigues me. Who do you cheer for guys? This game is very interesting. Last time DC played CSU he got punched in the mouth. CSU is in coaching mess. Would love to see the MWC beat a Pac12 school. What say you?

Western Michigan vs. Air Force - Once again....blah blah blah

Navy vs. San Diego State..... Marketing ploy for sure in this game. Navy could easily be the home team here. SDSU has such a piss poor football following.

Fresno State vs. Rice..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

No. 20 Boise State vs. No. 10 Arizona.... This looks to be a good game. (Or could get ugly). Arizona just got blasted by Oregon. They could go either way. I could see them laying an egg, or possibly rolling BSU like they did Utah.

PS- Salt in the wound. Two of our four wins were against two of the teams in bowl games.

lastly- there isn't a player i want to see fail worse than Jameis Winston.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Nevada vs. Louisiana-Lafayette - R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl - What an odd location for Reno to end up at. Hope Fajardo ends his stellar career on the right note.

Utah State vs. UTEP- Gildan New Mexico Bowl - Aggies should win, but this could be a low-scoring affair.

Utah vs. Colorado State- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl - Tough matchup. Grayson gives CSU a chance, but the Utes are good.

Western Michigan vs. Air Force- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Blah, probably won't watch.

Navy vs. San Diego State- San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl - See the Air Force comment.

Fresno State vs. Rice- Hawai'i Bowl - See the SDSU comment lol.

No. 20 Boise State vs. No. 10 Arizona- VIZIO Fiesta Bowl - Two similar teams. Both can be great or terrible from week to week. IMO, this is the least predictable of the MW bowl games. I could see anything happening.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

The CSU Utah game has me stuck. DC's comments about the MWC players sucking, then taking a dump on them on his way out the door, pissed me off. On the other hand...CSU is....CSU.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lol I love the utah csu matchup.
wyonation turmoil.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

You ain't kidding.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I want Utah to crush CSU... with 5 pick 6's. 35-0
I want utahs offense to not do anything.
I also want csu to get into the redzone before throwing pick 6s.
just make it devestating.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Yikes, better win conference of get Access slot otherwise you get a game less intriguing than conference games. Still good to get some extra practices in and build.

Honestly, I'll have to read about many of these teams. I haven't really watched or followed most of them. I have no idea about the majority of these matchups.

I think Utes crush CSU and if good AZ shows up, BSU will lose. However, AZ is probably the best possible matchup for BSU.

I assume MWC teams should compete well in the other games. Hell, I at least hope so. If we have a losing record with this Bowl line-up, then the MWC is even worse than advertised.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
NDPokes
Buckaroo

CAN. NOT. STAND. CSU. I'll be the first here to say it....This one time, I'm going for them all the way against the fool DC and the Utes. Go CSU. Excuse me while I go throw up...
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

NDPokes wrote:CAN. NOT. STAND. CSU. I'll be the first here to say it....This one time, I'm going for them all the way against the fool DC and the Utes. Go CSU. Excuse me while I go throw up...
Only Bowl that matters money wise is Boise beating Arizona but I'm not sure they have a chance.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: Only Bowl that matters money wise is Boise beating Arizona but I'm not sure they have a chance.
Just checked...Zona has a freshman QB, defense is ranked 72nd vs. the run and 118th vs. pass. They have a chance.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: Only Bowl that matters money wise is Boise beating Arizona but I'm not sure they have a chance.
Just checked...Zona has a freshman QB, defense is ranked 72nd vs. the run and 118th vs. pass. They have a chance.
Same Freshman QB that went into Eugene and beat the #2 Ducks at home, I've watched them all year they are most likely going to stomp Boise don't let a that Freshman QB fool you. It won't be a walk in the park for Boise but they could pull something off.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Boise def has a chance in their last game as a MWC institution. If they play like they played the last half of the season they will be in it.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:
That freshman QB is also #12 in the nation in passing yards, and missed time due to injury this season. The freshman RB (Wilson) is an absolute beast (Kadeem Carey who?) and Scooby Wright is going to be feasting on Hedrick all game long. I know this may sound homerish (since UA is on my paycheck), but I think Arizona wins this game going away (2+ scores).
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

spindoctor02 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
That freshman QB is also #12 in the nation in passing yards, and missed time due to injury this season. The freshman RB (Wilson) is an absolute beast (Kadeem Carey who?) and Scooby Wright is going to be feasting on Hedrick all game long. I know this may sound homerish (since UA is on my paycheck), but I think Arizona wins this game going away (2+ scores).
I'm pretty much in agreement, I've watched both ASU and UA all year and I don't think Boise stands much of a chance.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Boise definitely has a chance, but I expect Arizona to win by a couple scores.
Big boy football if you will ;)
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Once the season ends, I become a MWC fan. I hope we sweep all the bowl games.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I guess we'll see. Boise has Zona beat in nearly every single statistical category. Not often that is the case and that team gets eviscerated. If Zona plays like they did last Friday, just about anyone in college football can beat them. Boise has a chance.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:I guess we'll see. Boise has Zona beat in nearly every single statistical category. Not often that is the case and that team gets eviscerated. If Zona plays like they did last Friday, just about anyone in college football can beat them. Boise has a chance.
Come on J-Rod, you know why Boise looks better on paper than Zona. You don't think the conferences they play in have anything to do with it?

Playing ASU, UCLA, USC, Utah, and Oregon is a hell of a lot harder than playing Wyoming, Fresno State, Air Force, and New Mexico.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: Come on J-Rod, you know why Boise looks better on paper than Zona. You don't think the conferences they play in have anything to do with it?

Playing ASU, UCLA, USC, Utah, and Oregon is a hell of a lot harder than playing Wyoming, Fresno State, Air Force, and New Mexico.
Of course that's true, but still....they needed a late stop at home to narrowly beat Nevada too....and struggled away from home vs. a horrible UTSA team. They're in the Fiesta Bowl for a reason, but of all the teams Boise could have ended up playing, this is the easiest. f-word, Wyoming looked better vs. Oregon than UA did on Friday.

I'm not saying Boise will win, I'm just saying it's outlandish to say they don't have a chance. They're 3-point underdogs for goodness sake.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: Come on J-Rod, you know why Boise looks better on paper than Zona. You don't think the conferences they play in have anything to do with it?

Of course that's true, but still....they needed a late stop at home to narrowly beat Nevada too....and struggled away from home vs. a horrible UTSA team. They're in the Fiesta Bowl for a reason, but of all the teams Boise could have ended up playing, this is the easiest. f-word, Wyoming looked better vs. Oregon than UA did on Friday.

I'm not saying Boise will win, I'm just saying it's outlandish to say they don't have a chance. They're 3-point underdogs for goodness sake.
I agree that early in the season Arizona did not look good. Played bad against UTSA, Nevada, and had the hail mary to beat Cal.
But since then they turned it on. Sure the Pac12 Title game was ugly, real ugly, but they still won the games to get there. In arguably the hardest division in football, the Pac12-South. 5 ranked teams in there.

And Boise didn't look real good to start the season either. And they have since turned it on.

This is going to be an exciting game. Both teams have the ability to take over games. I don't know who I want to win.
Hard to believe Arizona is more than a basketball school, and hard to believe Boise won't show up in a game of this caliber.