Trip down memory lane: when DC was hired

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I thought this was interesting to re-read with respect to culture, discipline, being a team, etc.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... at-wyoming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then read this after Bohl was hired and notice comments about being a team, etc.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 4feeb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not implying anything, just thought it was interesting
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lol...

This is exactly why I don't think Bohl will succeed.

"Things are different now!"
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Aren't you a ray of sunshine. I give Bohl the benefit of the doubt. He has to do better then Christensen.

I was talking to plAyers parents who were told by there kids that dc would show up drunk to practices and would just sit and watch the other coaches. Players tongue and cheek would call him king Dave.

Bohl embraces wyoming like Dave never did. He left a great job where he was the best at his job, defeated teams with superior talent repeatedly, and under his watch has amped up strength and conditioning.

As a coach who inherited inferior talent on the defensive side of the ball and a the qb position was a field goal off an upright and about six yards away from being bowl eligible.

What isn't there to like?
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:Aren't you a ray of sunshine. I give Bohl the benefit of the doubt. He has to do better then Christensen.

I was talking to plAyers parents who were told by there kids that dc would show up drunk to practices and would just sit and watch the other coaches. Players tongue and cheek would call him king Dave.

Bohl embraces wyoming like Dave never did. He left a great job where he was the best at his job, defeated teams with superior talent repeatedly, and under his watch has amped up strength and conditioning.

As a coach who inherited inferior talent on the defensive side of the ball and a the qb position was a field goal off an upright and about six yards away from being bowl eligible.

What isn't there to like?
+1
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

And I'll add that since he has shown up the governor has stepped up state support... Not coincidental if you ask me
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Bohl was and still is a proven college head coach. DC has proven he is a decent coordinator.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

A good game plan can mask a team's deficiencies.

I think Bohl is kind of like that. He will succeed and mask our normally very apparent AD deficiencies.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

True character comes out when a person gets squeezed....

Howdy Doody-gate is a perfect example of how DC had absolutely no character.

Don't get me wrong...I loved DC's passion and how pissed off he got. But he took it too far and showed very little self-control. He could have shown just as much displeasure in Howdy Doody's cheating antics with much more class.

Bohl is in a completely different league than DC in so many ways. He is a winner and we will get there...eventually.

(also....yes I am fully aware that I was one of the people on here claiming how good we were going to be the first year. 8 wins I think I predicted...sheesh.) I realize now its gonna take a bit.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Lol...

So do you think we will never succeed?

I'm curious who you would have rather signed? Nick Saban?

And don't say Tedford because he had no interest in coming here...and, IMO, would have been a flop at UW.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:

And don't say Tedford because he had no interest in coming here...and, IMO, would have been a flop at UW.
Agreed. Not sure he wouldn't have been another DC. Maybe he knew how to develop the talent he recruits but if that was the case he probably wouldn't be leaving Cal....
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Dutchnation wrote:True character comes out when a person gets squeezed....

Howdy Doody-gate is a perfect example of how DC had absolutely no character.

Don't get me wrong...I loved DC's passion and how pissed off he got. But he took it too far and showed very little self-control. He could have shown just as much displeasure in Howdy Doody's cheating antics with much more class.

Bohl is in a completely different league than DC in so many ways. He is a winner and we will get there...eventually.

(also....yes I am fully aware that I was one of the people on here claiming how good we were going to be the first year. 8 wins I think I predicted...sheesh.) I realize now its gonna take a bit.
"Howdy Doody-gate" told this life-long fan and long-time donor all I needed to know about DC. Guy was an aviation mechanic trying to run an airline. He did not have the skill set or core competencies for the position.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Used to be I looked at you as a sort of novelty. Now I just kind of wish you would go away.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Aaron wrote:

Used to be I looked at you as a sort of novelty. Now I just kind of wish you would go away.
I preferred him as the eternal optimist.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Aaron wrote:

That's a big wish that ain't gonna happen.

I don't think Wyo will succeed but everyone else here does because the way he sells it and spins it. Joe Glenn 2.0

Would love to be proven wrong.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:

We had a shot at Mr. Motorcycle...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

And yes btw I did want Tedford. Why can't I choose Tedford? That's who I wanted.

Mr. Motorcycle would have been cool. We could have been a stepping stone to get him into the Pac, but instead he ended up back at Louisville and they are pretty good.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

A) Tedford wanted nothing to do with us.

B) Tedford would have failed miserably. The guy wasn't that great of a recruiter and he was in the heart of the West Coast, he would have struggled at UW. As far as recruiting goes, Bohl at least has more experience recruiting to a place like Laramie.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

WestWYOPoke wrote:

I think all that's implied is that no matter who we would have hired, the company line would be the same: "it's different now." That's all you get with the Wyoming AD, marketing, and not very savvy marketing, at that.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Brew_Poke wrote:I think all that's implied is that no matter who we would have hired, the company line would be the same: "it's different now." That's all you get with the Wyoming AD, marketing, and not very savvy marketing, at that.
That is kind of how I took it (BP post) as well.

Though I wasn't meaning to imply anything with the first post, it just seemed odd how similar the story is/was between the two hires. Almost identical.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

I get what he was trying to say, the point of my post is...ok, so what should we do, we know that getting a new AD wasn't an option at that point and we had to hire a new head coach, so we did.

That was kind of my point by saying Nick Saban, our options were limited, and short of going yard sale on the entire athletic department, we got what many considered to be our best feasible option.