Gary Anderson to Oregon State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:
cowboyz wrote:Interesting hire. The guy didn't have a great resume when Wisconsin hired him, only a great year. He was handed a team that just won three straight Big 10 titles and managed to come close to maintaining that, but not exactly hitting it. With Oregon State heading south, he's back to a where he was with USU, a team that needs help, unlike at Wisconsin that only needed a custodian. If they continue to fill their OOC schedule with weak teams or teams from lesser conferences as they've done the past couple of years, he'll easily keep them in that 6 win range. I could see them going bowling most years. They've probably realized that conference championships are something that's not on their horizon regardless of who the head coach is, so decided to go with a "safe" hire.
Lol troll on!
Troll on???

I post my observations on the OPs subject, with nothing to do with you and your new found love (justified as a student there) of all things OS football related and I' a troll?

So, I believe he'll keep OS fairly even, but not challenge for the conference championship and not suck. Where do you see him taking the program?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Who's trolling who here?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
cowboyz wrote:Interesting hire. The guy didn't have a great resume when Wisconsin hired him, only a great year. He was handed a team that just won three straight Big 10 titles and managed to come close to maintaining that, but not exactly hitting it. With Oregon State heading south, he's back to a where he was with USU, a team that needs help, unlike at Wisconsin that only needed a custodian. If they continue to fill their OOC schedule with weak teams or teams from lesser conferences as they've done the past couple of years, he'll easily keep them in that 6 win range. I could see them going bowling most years. They've probably realized that conference championships are something that's not on their horizon regardless of who the head coach is, so decided to go with a "safe" hire.
Lol troll on!
Troll on???

I post my observations on the OPs subject, with nothing to do with you and your new found love (justified as a student there) of all things OS football related and I' a troll?

So, I believe he'll keep OS fairly even, but not challenge for the conference championship and not suck. Where do you see him taking the program?
You act like 6-6 is the best the Beavs can do when about 5 seasons ago they were competing for the Rose Bowl.
These past few seasons the Beavs have hit a rough spot and it is likely due to the Riley and Oregon State relationship outgrow eachother.

The Beavs just upped their coaches salary from 1.5 million to 2.4 million. And they are paying for top assistants as well. From 11th or 12th in the Pac12 to 4th or 5th in terms of football money.

Anderson is a huge name that has proven he can recruit, develop talent, and coach. This along with the Beavers upgrading facilities. (They announced that Wednesday, when they announced that Anderson accepted the job)

They aren't doing all of this to go for 6-6. The Beavers want conference championships and are making the commitment to it. Not just in lip service, but actually putting the money where their mouths are.

Whether they get there or not is another story, but the bottom line is you don't all of a sudden start dishing out this type of money to settle for 6-6. Considering Riley could win 9 games here, beat Top 10 teams at home, win bowl games, compete for the Pac title, and send several players to the NFL, I think Anderson can replicate his success and take it further.
And that is by no means a knock on Riley, he pretty much saved and built Oregon State football. He was a very likable guy. He had just been here forever. He is like the Beavers version of Joe Glenn, although much more successful. Great guy, but wouldn't get rid of key assistants (maybe because he couldn't afford to?). And trust me, tons of Beaver fans were calling for Rileys head, they were ready to be done. So now there is a renewed optimism in the program and new life.

Hell even last season, the Beavers went 6-6 and won a bowl game making them 7-6 and that season included a loss to an FCS team (2nd in 3 seasons) in OT that should not have happened and a loss to the Ducks in Eugene because Riley decided to get the go ahead score as quick as possible leaving Mariota a minute and a half left to go down and win the game. These are 2 losses that should have been wins. If that 6-6 "coulda woulda shoulda" been was almost an 8-4 season, and if the 5-7 season this year is what led to donors wanting to jump past half the Pac12 in terms of football funding and renovating the football facilities, they sure as hell aren't just trying to hit 6-6.

I think the Beavers, with their new coach, and new commitment to winning on the football field can win 8 games a year and compete for a conference championship in about 3-4 seasons. 6-6 is not the results they are paying for.

This is my issue with Wyoming. We talk about how Bohl can win but the fact is that we still don't dish out the money. We need to just put the damn money out there and stop saying we are competing and just frickin compete.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Beav-

Kalani Sitake and Utah Def Line coach to OSU.

The firing of Bo Pelini was the best thing to happen to Oregon State football.

Wow. That is a huge get.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

djm19 wrote:Beav-

Wow. That is a huge get.
Looks like the Utes will have to rely on DC's high powered spread offense to win next year... :rofl:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wow. That is a huge get.
Rumor is that the owner of the Milwaukee Bucks (beaver alum) told OSU he would start donating big money once Riley was no longer the coach. And he made a huge donation to get Andersen. Beavs entire coaching staff (head coach and assistants) are now somewhere from 2nd-4th highest in pac12. 1 month ago they were 11th-12th. This along with guaranteed future donations, and the announcement of the 42 million dollar football facility upgrade/additions are all making Oregon State a big time player. And add in the Utes guys, the Beavs are going to become competitors in the pac12 pretty quickly.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

CowboyNV wrote:

Wow. That is a huge get.
Looks like the Utes will have to rely on DC's high powered spread offense to win next year... :rofl:
Not so fast...
https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/statu ... 2648104960
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

OL Coach run game coordinator.... He had some running backs and had no idea how to use them should be an interesting change.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote:OL Coach run game coordinator.... He had some running backs and had no idea how to use them should be an interesting change.
I think Texas A&M's run game just took a huge step back. :lol: