Gary Anderson to Oregon State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wisconsin Head Coach Gary Anderson to be new head coach at Oregon State...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -state-job

Wow...as a Wisconsin fan I have to say WTF??? No offense BP, but in the hierarchy of college football this is a step down. Congrats, you may have actually upgraded from Riley.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Boom! Wisconsin is without a doubt further up in heiarchy but Pac12 > big10 that's why he left.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

There's no way Bohl is a candidate for the Wiscy job, right?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

It must suck to work for Alvarez and have him looking over your shoulder all the time.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Bohl isn't on the Youngstown State radar even. Enough.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

djm19 wrote:Bohl isn't on the Youngstown State radar even. Enough.
Good
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

He left a perennial Top 25 school in a Power 5 conference to join a middling (no offense) team in a slightly better Power 5 conference? Not to mention, in Wisconsin, you are THE show. In Oregon you are second fiddle. I'm not buying it, sounds like he didn't like it in Madison. I would be intrigued to find out what his new contract will look like, I'm betting he won't be making much, if any, more at OSU than he was at UW.

What could REALLY help OSU is if he brings his DC, Dave Aranda, with him. This dude is LEGIT, knows his stuff, and is probably only a year or two from being a FBS head coach himself.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting a lot of pressure from Barry Alvarez and Co. to stick with Wisconsin's traditional run-it-down-your-throat offense and he wanted to stick with his spread, so he said F*** it and bounced.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 33 times

This is mind blowing. I wonder why he left Wisconsin so soon..
ImageImageImageImage
djm19
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:This is mind blowing. I wonder why he left Wisconsin so soon..
Lots of theories here in Utah on sports radio. Some of the hosts are good friends with Gary. They think it's more about getting out west to the Pac12 and recruiting. Also, lots of stuff coming out that Wisconsin Athletic Director, etc are not great to work with and for. Opportunity to make a lateral move and get out west was appealing.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Even as a die-hard Beaver, how is it a lateral move?
He just left Wisconsin. Are they not a big power?

Wisconsin to Oregon State may be a downgrade, but Big10 to Pac12 is an upgrade
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

His recruiting pipeline is the west coast. He will succeed at OSU. If I were an OSU fan I would be ecstatic with this hire. Time will tell, but I was at USU when GA was there. That guy could recruit with the best of them. (As evident in these USU players on the roster now).

Lots of rumors floating around in Utah that GA was eying the Utah job because of rumors that Michigan had contacted Whittingham. When that fizzled, GA wanted to get to the P12. So, we can debate lateral move here and there, but he is better off in Oregon as it "fits him" better.

1) He is back home to his recruiting base
2) The ESPN 100 QB from Jordan, Ut (Austin Fafentzis) will decommit from Wisconsin and go to Oregon State now
3) GA will singlehandily piss off Utah fans now, because he will pick off some recruits that otherwise not have went OSU

This is lateral in the $$$ sense. He will go head to head with P12 schools. I have sat in luncheons with GA. As a fan, I was ready to jump in front of a car for him he is that passionate, convincing and charismatic. Just wait until his press conference. You'll be drinking the Kool-Aid. I have kind of become an OSU fan today because of my respect for GA.

Good get for the Beavs today.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Even as a die-hard Beaver, how is it a lateral move?
He just left Wisconsin. Are they not a big power?

Wisconsin to Oregon State may be a downgrade, but Big10 to Pac12 is an upgrade
I have heard from multiple people (including people connected to GA's son who went to USU) and Wisc was a shi hot mess to work in. I think GA took that job for one reason......... :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: The moolah. First lateral chance to GTFO..... he gone
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:His recruiting pipeline is the west coast. He will succeed at OSU. If I were an OSU fan I would be ecstatic with this hire. Time will tell, but I was at USU when GA was there. That guy could recruit with the best of them. (As evident in these USU players on the roster now).

Lots of rumors floating around in Utah that GA was eying the Utah job because of rumors that Michigan had contacted Whittingham. When that fizzled, GA wanted to get to the P12. So, we can debate lateral move here and there, but he is better off in Oregon as it "fits him" better.

2) The ESPN 100 QB from Jordan, Ut (Austin Fafentzis) will decommit from Wisconsin and go to Oregon State now
3) GA will singlehandily piss off Utah fans now, because he will pick off some recruits that otherwise not have went OSU

This is lateral in the $$$ sense. He will go head to head with P12 schools. I have sat in luncheons with GA. As a fan, I was ready to jump in front of a car for him he is that passionate, convincing and charismatic. Just wait until his press conference. You'll be drinking the Kool-Aid. I have kind of become an OSU fan today because of my respect for GA.

Presser is friday at 130.
Reading your post got me way pumped.
Is the qb committing to OS for sure? There's been talk about it on beaver boards. Did the kid commit to Anderson or Wisconsin? Will it be easy for him to recommit to the Beavs? Also, will he be a freshman next year?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wisconsin must be a horrific place to work as a football coach (under Alvarez) as stated. Bielema first to go after 6 seasons as head coach, and now Anderson after 2 - with a 7 figure pay cut to boot.

Interesting tid-bit about Alvarez; when Bielema stepped down in 2012, Alvarez called his own name to be head coach for Wisconsin's 2013 bowl game (Rose Bowl loss to Stanford 20 - 14).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
djm19
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
djm19 wrote:His recruiting pipeline is the west coast. He will succeed at OSU. If I were an OSU fan I would be ecstatic with this hire. Time will tell, but I was at USU when GA was there. That guy could recruit with the best of them. (As evident in these USU players on the roster now).

Presser is friday at 130.
Reading your post got me way pumped.
Is the qb committing to OS for sure? There's been talk about it on beaver boards. Did the kid commit to Anderson or Wisconsin? Will it be easy for him to recommit to the Beavs? Also, will he be a freshman next year?
he hasn't officially decommitted from Wisconsin, but he is committed to Anderson I think. Anderson was recruiting him when he was like a freshman in high school here
djm19
WyoNation Addict

by no means am I saying that gary is the greatest coach in the world. But considering the circumstances, and the alternative which were coaches like bronco and wells, gary is a great hire.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:by no means am I saying that gary is the greatest coach in the world. But considering the circumstances, and the alternative which were coaches like bronco and wells, gary is a great hire.
You should have heard some of the other guys that were being floated around.
Many OS fans were thinking that the Beavs were going to go with an FCS guy or Dennis Erickson. I guess since Beaver fans remember the "dark ages" of 26 straight losing seasons, they think only Riley or Erickson can succeed in Corvallis.

Then this Anderson thing came out of no where. Riley is a great coach and a great guy but the fact is that he had run his course in Corvallis. It was time for change, and Anderson is without a doubt the guy.

Also, interesting tid-bit. A lot of the Beaver faithful were talking about how Riley is a great guy, but the AD never gave him money to pay top assistants. Seem familiar?
That was the cause for the skepticism among Beaver fans. They have no faith in the AD. Think he is horrible at his job and has no vision. Seem familiar?

Then I guess, they started to get serious about it, announced the expansion of the football stadium (so we can get all 25K people to the game right Kansas?) and Valley Football Center and announced they were finally stepping up the $$$ side of things to pay the coaches and their salaries.

People who quit buying season tickets are now repurchasing them, and there is already a new excitement within just 20 hours or so.

The moment Wyo administration or BOT or whoever has the $$$ sees it, that's all it takes. Someone with big time money to just do it. They need to see why it is good to have a good football program.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:Wisconsin must be a horrific place to work as a football coach (under Alvarez) as stated. Bielema first to go after 6 seasons as head coach, and now Anderson after 2 - with a 7 figure pay cut to boot.

Interesting tid-bit about Alvarez; when Bielema stepped down in 2012, Alvarez called his own name to be head coach for Wisconsin's 2013 bowl game (Rose Bowl loss to Stanford 20 - 14).
Bielema got a significant pay raise from Wisconsin to Arkansas, something like from 2.5 million/year to 4 million/year. He also got to coach in the SEC which he was interested in, and the biggest reason is that he had just got married, and his wife wanted them (mostly him) OUT of Madison.

Alvarez did take over the Rose Bowl management in 2013 and it sounds like he will do the same for the Outback bowl this year.

Edit: Adding to the bizarre nature of this situation, Wisconsin got a commit from a 4-star running back TODAY, a day AFTER the head coach leaves...weird.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Interesting hire. The guy didn't have a great resume when Wisconsin hired him, only a great year. He was handed a team that just won three straight Big 10 titles and managed to come close to maintaining that, but not exactly hitting it. With Oregon State heading south, he's back to a where he was with USU, a team that needs help, unlike at Wisconsin that only needed a custodian. If they continue to fill their OOC schedule with weak teams or teams from lesser conferences as they've done the past couple of years, he'll easily keep them in that 6 win range. I could see them going bowling most years. They've probably realized that conference championships are something that's not on their horizon regardless of who the head coach is, so decided to go with a "safe" hire.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote:Interesting hire. The guy didn't have a great resume when Wisconsin hired him, only a great year. He was handed a team that just won three straight Big 10 titles and managed to come close to maintaining that, but not exactly hitting it. With Oregon State heading south, he's back to a where he was with USU, a team that needs help, unlike at Wisconsin that only needed a custodian. If they continue to fill their OOC schedule with weak teams or teams from lesser conferences as they've done the past couple of years, he'll easily keep them in that 6 win range. I could see them going bowling most years. They've probably realized that conference championships are something that's not on their horizon regardless of who the head coach is, so decided to go with a "safe" hire.
Lol troll on!