Keenan Montgomery reflects on being a young black in Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Rampant racism and bigotry has now found their way into McPaper!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /20437151/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The apologies continued at Smith College after President Kathleen McCartney publicly joined protesters in what she called 'a shared fury . . . . [as] we raise our voices in protest.' McCartney declared 'all lives matter,' but was immediately denounced for being too inclusive by not saying 'black lives matter.' Smith sophomore, Cecelia Lim, complained that McCartney was 'invalidating the experience of black lives.' McCartney asked forgiveness and promised not to stray from the expected language. (Ironically, the next weekend, a protest leader was heard rallying the crowd with the same inclusive message of all lives matter.)"

A thin-skinned nation is easily wounded...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote:Rampant racism and bigotry has now found their way into McPaper!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /20437151/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The apologies continued at Smith College after President Kathleen McCartney publicly joined protesters in what she called 'a shared fury . . . . [as] we raise our voices in protest.' McCartney declared 'all lives matter,' but was immediately denounced for being too inclusive by not saying 'black lives matter.' Smith sophomore, Cecelia Lim, complained that McCartney was 'invalidating the experience of black lives.' McCartney asked forgiveness and promised not to stray from the expected language. (Ironically, the next weekend, a protest leader was heard rallying the crowd with the same inclusive message of all lives matter.)"

A thin-skinned nation is easily wounded...
Amen...and an uber-politically correct one as well.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

Wyovanian wrote:Fact is, there's always going to be an ignorant element, anywhere you go, but the idea that Wyoming is more racist than other places in the U.S. just isn't supported by either facts or experience.
[/quote]
When was that ever even brought up until now?
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:I think this thread needs to be moved to a different forum.
Well of course it does, after all, the people here are allegedly adults and talking in frank and candid terms about race and its impact, unless leaving a comment as a bleeding heart sympathizer, then and only then should we take this thread and move it a more 'appropriate place'.

However if we all in unison play to the 'woe is Keennan crowd', then of course the thread is in its rightful place.

You often here people claiming that they wish to have transparent dialog when it comes to racial parameters, yet the fact in my mind is that they really do not. Unless of course one takes a position on their stools of ever lasting repentance.
I get that you all are passionate about this, but I came here to read about UW athletics, the University of Wyoming, and maybe some off-topic things, but nothing as heavy as racism. If I want to feel like crap about the world I'll read Fox or CNN, just don't want to see it here, too (on this particular forum). What can anyone do other than treat others how they would like to be treated?
I see, okay, well while I disagree with your feeling I can respect what you say, however there is one thing that I must ask you.

Why did you not post these feelings immediately upon seeing the title of the thread when it first appeared and the content of what the thread was all about?

Why not then - why now?
Well, I think I was gone for a day or two then it all blew up. And I don't think I've ever actually seen racism (I'm from Laramie, there were quite a few kids of Mexican or other Latino heritage and only like four black kids, but we all got along just fine imo and were friends) or met anyone who is actually racist so this whole thing makes me mad, as well as make me look like a racist by association. I think Wyoming is probably one of the least racist places out there from what I've seen in Laramie and Lander, limited experience/perspective, I know. See, now I am getting sucked into this black hole :eek:
You live in Lander and you haven't seen racism. Did the feds steal the rest of the reservation?
Last edited by Cuttslam on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Cuttslam wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
Well of course it does, after all, the people here are allegedly adults and talking in frank and candid terms about race and its impact, unless leaving a comment as a bleeding heart sympathizer, then and only then should we take this thread and move it a more 'appropriate place'.

However if we all in unison play to the 'woe is Keennan crowd', then of course the thread is in its rightful place.

You often here people claiming that they wish to have transparent dialog when it comes to racial parameters, yet the fact in my mind is that they really do not. Unless of course one takes a position on their stools of ever lasting repentance.
I get that you all are passionate about this, but I came here to read about UW athletics, the University of Wyoming, and maybe some off-topic things, but nothing as heavy as racism. If I want to feel like crap about the world I'll read Fox or CNN, just don't want to see it here, too (on this particular forum). What can anyone do other than treat others how they would like to be treated?
I see, okay, well while I disagree with your feeling I can respect what you say, however there is one thing that I must ask you.

Why did you not post these feelings immediately upon seeing the title of the thread when it first appeared and the content of what the thread was all about?

Why not then - why now?
Well, I think I was gone for a day or two then it all blew up. And I don't think I've ever actually seen racism (I'm from Laramie, there were quite a few kids of Mexican or other Latino heritage and only like four black kids, but we all got along just fine imo and were friends) or met anyone who is actually racist so this whole thing makes me mad, as well as make me look like a racist by association. I think Wyoming is probably one of the least racist places out there from what I've seen in Laramie and Lander, limited experience/perspective, I know. See, now I am getting sucked into this black hole :eek:
You live in Lander and you haven't seen racism. Did feds steal the rest of the reservation?
I don't know, maybe it's because I hang out with white, educated professionals all day.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Racism on in or around the reservation.......Ha! I think it is reverse racism, every thing that I have heard about that area is just the opposite of what you would think it is. As soon as something doesn't go their way they scream that it is racism. Maybe just maybe it is because you aren't qualified, or you are just plain stupid. LOL Stupidity does not not equal racism.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Slow Hand wrote:Racism on in or around the reservation.......Ha! I think it is reverse racism, every thing that I have heard about that area is just the opposite of what you would think it is. As soon as something doesn't go their way they scream that it is racism. Maybe just maybe it is because you aren't qualified, or you are just plain stupid. LOL Stupidity does not not equal racism.
First place I lived in the U.S. was Riverton.

Riverton's definitely got some racist elements, to say the least. There was probably one black kid in the whole town, and I worked with him at The Depot or whatever it's called. I remember getting out of work right behind him one night, only to watch him get bent over the hood of a police car, being accused of trying to steal his own bike (he was bloody unlocking it) while he kept saying "it's MY OWN bike" over and over.

Cop let him go after a few minutes of yelling at him for no good reason.

I've never had to deal with that when unlocking my own bike.

And let's not even get started on the whole Native American thing.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

All that said, compared to how for example Romanians treat the Roma people (aka gypsies), there's no serious racism in the U.S. these days.

On the other hand - just because it's worse somewhere else, should it really excuse poor behavior here?
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:

Why not then - why now?
You live in Lander and you haven't seen racism. Did feds steal the rest of the reservation?
I don't know, maybe it's because I hang out with white, educated professionals all day.
Elitist always buries their heads in the sand.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Cuttslam wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:

Why not then - why now?
Elitist always buries their heads in the sand.
Now if you are White and educated you are an elitist? :rofl:
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Racism on in or around the reservation.......Ha! I think it is reverse racism, every thing that I have heard about that area is just the opposite of what you would think it is. As soon as something doesn't go their way they scream that it is racism. Maybe just maybe it is because you aren't qualified, or you are just plain stupid. LOL Stupidity does not not equal racism.

Riverton's definitely got some racist elements, to say the least. There was probably one black kid in the whole town, and I worked with him at The Depot or whatever it's called. I remember getting out of work right behind him one night, only to watch him get bent over the hood of a police car, being accused of trying to steal his own bike (he was bloody unlocking it) while he kept saying "it's MY OWN bike" over and over.

Native Americans.......... I am a Native American as I am sure you are. Native by definition means you were born in the country. All of my ancestors, as far back as I can remember, were born in this country. You see the problem with the native american thing is the sense of entitlement that is in place. It is the only conquered people that the USA allows to retain their sovereignty. Pay them for what ever mineral rights we feel they own, and get rid of the reservation system. American means American. Why should their definition of citizenship look any different than yours or mine?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

And slowhand continues with it. Why do I bother trying to be sensible and rational when people constantly try and argue with things that have no bearing on the discussion?
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Native Americans.......... I am a Native American as I am sure you are. Native by definition means you were born in the country. All of my ancestors, as far back as I can remember, were born in this country. You see the problem with the native american thing is the sense of entitlement that is in place. It is the only conquered people that the USA allows to retain their sovereignty. Pay them for what ever mineral rights we feel they own, and get rid of the reservation system. American means American. Why should their definition of citizenship look any different than yours or mine?
Read a book.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

SnowyRange wrote:
Read a book.
:rofl: Sorry had to stir the pot a little bit. Hey, the Spanish used to control the Louisiana and Florida area maybe we should set up an allotment of land and allow then to have a separate set of rules as well and allow them to retain their sovereignty. HA HA ha
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote:

With all due respect your 'story' sounds more than a little bit unbelievable.

Let me get this right, the police harassed this person for no reason whatsoever...they bent him over a police car without provocation, because they assumed he was 'stealing a bike?'

Hard for me to believe.

Can you please provide some context in this situation - because I believe that there has to be some in order for it to escalate to the point you are alleging simply on the basis of ones skin color.

Bottom line?

I call poop on this story.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

DocHolliday wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

Let me get this right, the police harassed this person for no reason whatsoever...they bent him over a police car without provocation, because they assumed he was 'stealing a bike?'

Hard for me to believe.

Can you please provide some context in this situation - because I believe that there has to be some in order for it to escalate to the point you are alleging simply on the basis of ones skin color.

Bottom line?

I'll give you a couple of personal stories...my son-in-law is a black man. He's a big black man, 6'6" tall and 340 pounds. He is covered in tattoos and has gauges in his ears. To say he is a bit intimidating is an understatement. I should also say he is well educated, gainfully employed and the perfect guy for my daughter. He treats her like a queen.

On two different occasions, I was in a car with him when we were pulled over for a "traffic violation." One time I was driving and we were pulled over for "not maintaining a lane." When the cop walked up, he saw my son-in-law in the passenger seat, pulled his gun, went around the front of my car screaming his head off to "get your hands up." He then extracted my son-in-law at gun point out of the car, frisked him, cuffed him, and put him in the back of his squad car. Me, since I'm old and white, he let me get out of the car, patted me down and then proceeded to ask what I was doing with a black guy. This poop went on for about 30 minutes until a supervisor showed up, got the real story, and told us to go on our way....without a warning or a ticket. The next time my son-in-law was driving and we were pulled over for speeding. The cop walked up to the driver's door, took one look at my son-in-law and pulled his gun and told him to get his hands up. Then he proceeded like it was a felony stop. This time both of us were cuffed and sat on the side of the road until a supervisor showed up to once again send us along on our way, this time with a warning ticket. The only probable cause for putting my son-in-law in cuffs - his skin color, size, and tattoos.

So, you can jump all you want on your soap box, and scream about how picked on us poor old white people are, but I've been on the other side as both a passive and active participant and I have to tell you, I've got a whole different outlook on racial profiling. My son-in-law is a good kid, who goes about his business, pays his taxes, and doesn't break the law. I don't proclaim to know all there is to know about racism, but I do know my son-in-law goes through it every day. And it has everything to do with his skin color and the way he looks. If you don't call that racism, I'd like to know what it is. By the way Dino, you going to call me a liar too?
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote: I don't proclaim to know all there is to know about racism, but I do know my son-in-law goes through it every day. And it has everything to do with his skin color and the way he looks. If you don't call that racism, I'd like to know what it is. By the way Dino, you going to call me a liar too?
This.
+1000

You have to be living under a damn rock to pretend this crap doesn't exist.
You also have to be completely blind to pretend there isn't any racism on the reservation or in the lander/riverton area.

Seeing people just completely call BS or act like since they have never experienced it, that it has never happened is so ignorant.

"I've never seen it happen so it's BS and everyone ever that isn't white just made that stuff up."
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Hard for me to believe.

Bottom line?

To add to the other, more violent, stories I'll throw in this recent episode -- maybe to educate you a little on the world:

So, in our fair state, I'm sitting in a municipal court to clear up a minor personal matter (!). All the young people trickle in to clear up their predictable matters. There are groups who appear...friends, family, girlfriends, boyfriends, there to make sure it goes ok for the one who has to stand in front of the judge.

It's pretty informal before court starts, the judge wandering around.

So, the judge sees one group of young guys and decides to perform his fatherly function, put them at ease, I guess. So he sits down next to the one there for the citation -- a small amount of marijuana -- and gives him a speech, telling him what the procedure is, not to worry, and then launches into a talk about how this is not going to ruin his life, it's a small bump in the road, a learning experience, he just has to think about what he's done, etc., etc.

And you can guess the rest.

What the judge did was give the speech to the one black guy in the room. Probably the one black guy within miles.

The only problem was that the black guy was not the defendant. He was there in support of his buddy.

The kid listens to this speech with this startled look on his face and finally finds a polite time to interrupt: "Um, sir. I haven't done anything. I'm just here for my friend."

Another day in the life!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

DocHolliday wrote: With all due respect your 'story' sounds more than a little bit unbelievable.

Hard for me to believe.

Bottom line?

I don't know what other context you want? Small black teenage kid, probably sophomore in high school. Was trying to unlock his bike and apparently wasn't as quick as somebody who "legitimately" unlocks their bike? I have no idea why he was put bent over the hood... and it was not a "they" by the way, it was only one police officer. Not that there needed to be more - this kid was maybe 5'6, 100 lbs.

Hell, I could give you a bunch of more stories from my co-worker Tai if you're interested. He's your average mid-30s guy living in Boulder County, Colorado. Pretty high income, athletic, works in tech, and so on... but he's black.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Everyone has a story. I have plenty - but what is the point in sharing? I have seen both sides, and often. I honestly cringe and binge for the future of this great country.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...