Keenan Montgomery reflects on being a young black in Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 2 times

DocHolliday wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:Living in Laramie and having grown up in the south. I can tell you I grew up with much more racism in the south than I ever experienced in Laramie. I still remember the first time I visited Oxford Miss (Ole Miss) to visit a friend of mine in college there. I was stunned by the racism spouted by some of these elitist white frat boys. It was sickening.

That being said, racism in the south doesn't seem to be stopping black players from wanting to play in the SEC. Yes racism probably exists just about everywhere but it seems minimal to in Laramie and Wyoming in general compared to what I grew up with. It's easier to give a place like Laramie a black eye because racism shouldn't exist there. The same reason the Mathew shepherd murder became such a big deal with the media, because things like that shouldn't happen in Laramie. Your telling me no one outside of Wyoming has been killed because they are gay? Let's not be so ignorant.
Points taken, CP, but lets make sure we get our facts in order.

Matt Sheppard was killed by a fellow the deed -- not some person hellbent of killing someone with an alternative 'lifestyle'.

The narrative in regard to that case, like many others, has been distorted by the mainstream media to fit their own agenda and to promote a cause while vilifying an entire other group of people.
Goddamn you're a huge f-word bigot.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I kinda with Dino on this. I appreciate what Keenan said, and whole heartedly agree that he has the right to bring this to attention. But so does any white person who gets blasted by blacks. It does go both ways.
Case in point, Ferguson Missou. A white cop shoots a black kid, and it's the end of the world. Even when the evidence is clear that the cop did what he needed to do.
A week later a black cop shoots and kills a white unarmed boy in Salt Lake City and it was justified? It seems that because of our nations past whites will always have to keep their mouths shut and listen to the blacks about the "hard lives" that blacks apparently lead today. And then when while white people are constantly robbed and mugged at gun point, some murdered, others raped, we need to keep silent, because we're a bigoted, racist people...
I have been told straight up by blacks that if I look down on them and call them the "N" word, I'm racist. But when they look down on a white person and call them Cracker, John Brown, etc, it's only pregidous. Hmm?
That's the state of mind between the two races. One needs to keep quiet, keep their thoughts and opinions to themselves and the other can say what they want, when they want and pretty much get away with it. And no, I'm not saying "Everybody" on each side does this.
Personal experience:
I live in Kansas, my wife was having our daughter in St Louis. I left work and drove all night to get to St Louis. Because I was in a rush, I did not change out of my State of Kansas DOC uniform, which looks more like a cops uniform. When I got to the hospital not even the black lady behind the front desk was willing to help me, she blatently ignored me until I politely got her attention. Black nurses and aides steered clear of me. When I got to an open elevator a black family, who was already in the elevator (3 total) held the door open for a black nurse, when I tried to step in, I was confronted with, "This elevator is already full. You'll have to wait for the next one." It had a capacity to hold 9 people. As I stepped back, three other black nurses turned the corner saying to another that they were going to take the elevator up. When they saw me, they stood at a distance and just whispered to eachother. When the next empty elevator opened they stepped in and so did I. After I pushed the button to my floor, two of them stepped back out and left me with one black male nurse.
On our way up we had a conversation:
Me, "Geese is everyone around here this friendly?"
Nurse, looking at my badge, " State of Kansas DOC officer, huh?"
Me, "Yeah."
Nurse, "You really should've changed out of that before you came here."
Me, "Really? Why?"
Nurse, "If you want to be at risk, then it's up to you."
Me, "what's that supposed to mean? I was in a hurry to get here to my wife."
Nurse,"I'd just take it off if I were you."
After I got to my floor, I found the nurses station, which had a black police officer in uniform standing at it talking to all the nurses, black and white (mostly black). When I walked up everyone, including the police officer hushed. I asked the young black woman sitting right in front of me for my wife's room number. All I got was her keeping her head down and silence. I then asked if "somebody" could give me my wife's location. Another black nurse came had to come out from an office behind the desk and was cordial enough to give me my wife's info.
As I walked away, talking resumed, and I was the subject matter at that point.
While I sat next to my wife, a black nurse came in to check on her, when she saw me she turned and walked out, a few minutes later a white nurse came in and introduced herself and said she would be completing the checkups for the day.
I had even more encounters while going back down to my car to get my bag and a change of clothes. But it's all about the same. Some of you may say, well, they shy away from all officer uniforms, not the case, because even in street clothes I was treated way different. Even Hispanics were treated better than me. The whole time, I never posed a threat, I was polite and nice, and I was met with negativity and cowardess. And yet, the whole time there, I was the minority.
I feel for both sides. But, nothing will change. Blacks are born and bred to believe that most if not all whites are the devil. And whites are told to be respectful and accepting and quiet.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

This thread seriously needs to die a quick death.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

It started out with a point, and then Dino the bigot once again derails it.

This was supposed to be about a kid's experience here doing nothing more than driving down the street, only to have 2 idiots hang a noose in front of him for no other reason than the color of his skin. That is a horrible thing to happen here, especially to a kid, not that it should happen to anyone, and what does Dino the bigot do? Try and deflect it by saying "Well, black on white crime is a huge thing! He probably did something like that to a poor white person!"
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

LOL! :coffee: :coffee:
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Yay, nothing like downplaying somebody's terrible experience! "Black people totally do awful things to each other and white people too!"

Here's the thing... I've never been the target of undue attention just for the color of my skin. I'm pretty sure that's something every single African American over the age of 15 can't say, though.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

BeaverPoke wrote:As someone who is from Wyoming, who actually went to the University of Wyoming, and has lived in Laramie for several years, I wish you would just shut the f-word up and keep your arrogant and ignorant statements and opinions to yourself Dino.

You are an absolutely horrible representative of Wyoming football, the University of Wyoming, and everything about my state.

You have the right to say what you want, you are going to put on some asinine act to be an internet tough guy and spout some garbage about how Wyoming is your state now, and all that crap, but the reality is, you are a jack ass.
Get off your damn high horse. The kid has his right to say what he wants, he can reflect on his story the way he wants. And the beauty of it is that he can say this regardless of how you view the story.
You're attacking the messenger, not really listening to his message.

Doc/ Dino's not one of my favorite poeple- he went off the deep personal end one time too many, but he's got a point here, and it's in no way an espousal of bigoted views.

Montgomery's got every right to relay this story and express his views, however, as someone who grew up in Laramie, lived in Las Vegas, and has spent quite a bit of time in a lot of other places, I have to say, it's a bit of a mountain-out-of-a-molehill scenario. I've witnessed far more racism, both blatant and latent, outside of Wyoming than I ever have there. Hell, on a recent visit to FoCo I saw three or four rednecked pickups driving almost in convoy around town flying great big Confederate flags and belching smoke out of their tractor smokestack exhausts.

Fact is, there's always going to be an ignorant element, anywhere you go, but the idea that Wyoming is more racist than other places in the U.S. just isn't supported by either facts or experience.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:As someone who is from Wyoming, who actually went to the University of Wyoming, and has lived in Laramie for several years, I wish you would just shut the f-word up and keep your arrogant and ignorant statements and opinions to yourself Dino.

You are an absolutely horrible representative of Wyoming football, the University of Wyoming, and everything about my state.

You have the right to say what you want, you are going to put on some asinine act to be an internet tough guy and spout some garbage about how Wyoming is your state now, and all that crap, but the reality is, you are a jack ass.
Get off your damn high horse. The kid has his right to say what he wants, he can reflect on his story the way he wants. And the beauty of it is that he can say this regardless of how you view the story.

Doc/ Dino's not one of my favorite poeple- he went off the deep personal end one time too many, but he's got a point here, and it's in no way an espousal of bigoted views.

Montgomery's got every right to relay this story and express his views, however, as someone who grew up in Laramie, lived in Las Vegas, and has spent quite a bit of time in a lot of other places, I have to say, it's a bit of a mountain-out-of-a-molehill scenario. I've witnessed far more racism, both blatant and latent, outside of Wyoming than I ever have there. Hell, on a recent visit to FoCo I saw three or four rednecked pickups driving almost in convoy around town flying great big Confederate flags and belching smoke out of their tractor smokestack exhausts.

Fact is, there's always going to be an ignorant element, anywhere you go, but the idea that Wyoming is more racist than other places in the U.S. just isn't supported by either facts or experience.
You're damn right I'm attacking the messanger.
That huge piece of poop gives the rest of Wyo fans a bad name. I don't care what message itself is, we can discuss that outside a sports forum.
That ignorant bigot is the only one on here with a radio show where he is not only allowed to but paid to spout his worthless garbage. So I don't want him associated with my state or university.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I may not like the response this gets, but what did Dino say that was bigoted? Look I dislike that dude as much as anyone on this board but I don't see what he said that was so egregious. His comment on Matthew Shepard is 100% correct, that was not a hate crime based on his the deed orientation.

I am not looking for a flaming, just curious why, on a board screaming for equality and open mindedness, a person that expresses his opinion is being trashed....
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I may not like the response this gets, but what did Dino say that was bigoted? Look I dislike that dude as much as anyone on this board but I don't see what he said that was so egregious. His comment on Matthew Shepard is 100% correct, that was not a hate crime based on his the deed orientation.

I am not looking for a flaming, just curious why, on a board screaming for equality and open mindedness, a person that expresses his opinion is being trashed....
Have you read any of his previous posts? He's made it very clear he's a bigot. Not to mention he deflected what Keenan Montgomery said by bringing up black on black and black on white crime, insinuating that Montgomery, since he's black, would somehow be involved with those.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I may not like the response this gets, but what did Dino say that was bigoted? Look I dislike that dude as much as anyone on this board but I don't see what he said that was so egregious. His comment on Matthew Shepard is 100% correct, that was not a hate crime based on his the deed orientation.

Have you read any of his previous posts? He's made it very clear he's a bigot. Not to mention he deflected what Keenan Montgomery said by bringing up black on black and black on white crime, insinuating that Montgomery, since he's black, would somehow be involved with those.
Its not bigoted to discuss what he views as a racial disparity never discussed by the majority of Americans...He even provided a link with the facts he used...

And yes I read his messages, he's as vile and terrible as he ever is. Him disagreeing or posing a different outlook on a subject doesn't equal bigotry.

Is KansasCowboy racist or a bigot too? Am I racist because I, as a white man, spent a fair amount of time in the south and was treated FAR worse than I ever have here. Being told "if I didn't leave (a Walmart) the police would be called because there would be a dead cracker" is far worse than anything I have ever heard of here. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, those of us who don't want to be force fed the liberal PC crap aren't bigots, maybe were just people who have had different experiences than perfect Beaver and FromOlWyoming
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Its not bigoted to discuss what he views as a racial disparity never discussed by the majority of Americans...He even provided a link with the facts he used...

And yes I read his messages, he's as vile and terrible as he ever is. Him disagreeing or posing a different outlook on a subject doesn't equal bigotry.

Is KansasCowboy racist or a bigot too? Am I racist because I, as a white man, spent a fair amount of time in the south and was treated FAR worse than I ever have here. Being told "if I didn't leave (a Walmart) the police would be called because there would be a dead cracker" is far worse than anything I have ever heard of here. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, those of us who don't want to be force fed the liberal PC crap aren't bigots, maybe were just people who have had different experiences than perfect Beaver and FromOlWyoming
And what, pray tell, does any of that have to do with Montgomery and his own experience right here in Laramie? Not the deep south, not some urban environment, or inner city area, but Laramie, Wyoming. And a kid on OUR football team doing nothing more than driving down the street only to have a couple of bigoted pieces of crap hang a noose out their window in front of him simply because he has a darker skin color.

Tell me, PLEASE, what the hell that has to do with black on white crimes or black on black crimes? Unless you are insinuating that Montgomery has been involved in such things, you better have evidence to back that up, because him being black does in no way mean he is a criminal. THAT is my point. THAT is why Dino is still a stupid bigot.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:

I don't think the point was ever that Laramie is more racist than other places. Some people are reading too much into that. It was a poem(spoken word) by a black man about his experiences in Laramie. The first part of it was about one day that something happened nowhere did he say it happens all the time or Wyoming sucks so bad. His friend talked about feeling out of place here but he said he didn't think he agreed right before the asshole rednecks pull beside him. I think we all know that this doesn't happen a lot and for the most part (I think) Laramie is a great and welcoming community but the fact something like that happened at all should make us angry(at the racist idiots who would do that)

It was a well written and thoughtful piece by a black man about his thoughts and some experiences after going to school at the University of Wyoming. Nothing more nothing less. It wasn't an indictment on the state or the university. Well written Keenan.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

And what, pray tell, does any of that have to do with Montgomery and his own experience right here in Laramie? Not the deep south, not some urban environment, or inner city area, but Laramie, Wyoming. And a kid on OUR football team doing nothing more than driving down the street only to have a couple of bigoted pieces of crap hang a noose out their window in front of him simply because he has a darker skin color.

Tell me, PLEASE, what the hell that has to do with black on white crimes or black on black crimes? Unless you are insinuating that Montgomery has been involved in such things, you better have evidence to back that up, because him being black does in no way mean he is a criminal. THAT is my point. THAT is why Dino is still a stupid bigot.
It has as much do to with KM as it does with our own personal experiences. His experience carries no more weight than Docs or anyone elses. If I wrote a blog titled, "The Plight of the White Air Force Member in Atlanta" would that suddenly lend more credence to it for you? Why is KM's experience the end all be all? The truth is we all have experiences positive and negative. Hell yeah KM's was terrible and abhorrent but get in line. Every person and group of people on this planet is prejudiced against at some point or another. Doc's beliefs, disbeliefs, or whatever goes on in that head of his is his to have. He can voice it, he can talk about it, it doesn't make him a bigot.

His comments on black on black, etc. crime was really two arguments in one. I didn't read that as him implying KM is a thug or a criminal, but that the more alarming statistics are those he mentioned. Now, if Doc goes on to say that KM is a worthless "N" word or thug or anything else actually bigoted then I will join your crusade and we'll smote him on the mountain side. Until then, again, what exactly did he say that was bigoted?

And I may very well have missed, when did Doc say, "Keenan Montgomery is a criminal."
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I wish Kennan Montgomery well, however, he's not special, he's not unique, and I found his 'poem' to be somewhat of a grandstanding type of a move.

As to the official spokesman for all things Wyoming...in reading your prose and considering the language and hostility you employ, I believe there is no finer ambassador to our great state than you yourself, your theories and verbiage make that clear.

As for myself?

My opinions and comments are as relevant as anyone else's on this board - or anywhere else.

Arrogance?

Bigoted?

I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree.

And you may disagree with me some more.

That's your right to do so.

P.S. For those willing to refer to me as a 'bigot' I'll not argue the point. The fact is that we are all bigoted in some ways. Full disclosure and honesty must compel us to acknowledge this...to deny it is being untruthful with ones self. However in light of the Montgomery situation my comments/opinions are not 'bigoted', merely a reflection of what I see as a grab at self attention for the athlete -- as well as my chaffing at the extreme double standards applicable to racial discussion and the realities of the world at large.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

That huge piece of poop gives the rest of Wyo fans a bad name. I don't care what message itself is, we can discuss that outside a sports forum.
That ignorant bigot is the only one on here with a radio show where he is not only allowed to but paid to spout his worthless garbage. So I don't want him associated with my state or university.
Well, fortunately, in our country, for the most part, you're not allowed to tell others what or who they can associate with due to your opinion of them. They used to do that all the time in the Deep South up until the relatively recent past.

Take a good look in the mirror, Beav', if you want to see what it is you so rabidly accuse others of doing...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

Well, fortunately, in our country, for the most part, you're not allowed to tell others what or who they can associate with due to your opinion of them. They used to do that all the time in the Deep South up until the relatively recent past.

Take a good look in the mirror, Beav', if you want to see what it is you so rabidly accuse others of doing...
I'm accusing him of being an ignorant racist jackass with a microphone and a national audience. And one who claims Wyoming as his state and team. Aint no mirror that will make me look like that.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

The picture I always get of you is that of an entitled juvenile who stomps his feet and holds his breath whenever you disagree with someone -- and who needs to resort to ad hominem attacks based upon the fact that your arguments are steeped in nothing more than emotion and vitriol - as well as a heavy dose of incredible self righteousness.

Who made you the spokesman around here for conjecture and thought?

Who made you the arbiter and the conscience of this board?

When did the moderator of this board christen you with the title of; 'Wyo Nation Board Ombudsman?'

You use the word 'arrogant' quite a bit. Do yourself a favor and look at the way you posture your own self before having the temerity to reference anyone with such a word that you frequently show an inclination to acting out on your own.

Your comments are as relevant as anyone else's and I'd fight for your right to express them (though I disagree with them) - but don't poop upon the comments of others when they're making their own points while then going about your infantile and callow harangue's which are motivated by your dislike of me and nothing more.

You don't like me?

Get in line brother.

I don't seek to be liked - and never have.

I don't actively court approval.

I don't subscribe to 'group-think'.

Get off of your soap box -- parading around as some sage who is filled with wisdom beyond all others.

My statements stand, unaffected by anyone else who disagrees with me and certainly never to be swayed by the artless fashion in which you attempt to retort with your feckless points.

Grow up.
Last edited by DocHolliday on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:It started out with a point, and then Dino the bigot once again derails it.

This was supposed to be about a kid's experience here doing nothing more than driving down the street, only to have 2 idiots hang a noose in front of him for no other reason than the color of his skin. That is a horrible thing to happen here, especially to a kid, not that it should happen to anyone, and what does Dino the bigot do? Try and deflect it by saying "Well, black on white crime is a huge thing! He probably did something like that to a poor white person!"
+1
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Yay, nothing like downplaying somebody's terrible experience! "Black people totally do awful things to each other and white people too!"

Here's the thing... I've never been the target of undue attention just for the color of my skin. I'm pretty sure that's something every single African American over the age of 15 can't say, though.
+1