OT: DJM...Utah State question

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I was at the Beavers press conference today introducing Anderson and someone from the press asked Anderson about recruiting, specifically going after Wisconsin recruits, and then mention of Chuckie Keaton being a 5th year transfer player.

I know someone on this board has mentioned Keaton transferring before, and with the Beavers losing Mannion I am wondering if there is still talk about Keaton transferring out from USU?

I figured he would come back as the starter for the Aggies next season. But I guess not?

Anyways, I figured you with your knowledge of Aggies football would know more about the situation.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Keaton had his second knee injury in as many years. Even before re-injuring himself, he didn't look very good. I'd be surprised if he played at all next season.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

That's about all I heard as well. That he "could" transfer, but not sure if he will.

This much I do know. USU is pleased with Garretson. I think the majority of the fan base is ready to move on from Chuckie. I think they loved him at the time (past tense), but his injuries have hampered the team. Honestly, as a beaver fan, I wouldn't want Chuckie. One year left. High likelihood of an injury. Give the reps to someone more long term.

I think if Chuckie were to go he would've left to Wisc. Wells and Chuckie are tight and Chuckie was important enough to the teamd the team that chuckie went on road games injured, which isn't real common. If wells bolts, Chuckie may also. But I think chuckie stays. I didnt think he haf another year of eligibility at USU? I will need to look it up.
Aggiefan33
Buckaroo

They will be attempting to obtain a medical redshirt. That is how he could get another year.

I am not sure if Chuckie will graduate in May.

I'm not sure how he would get a med redshirt if he left. The school typical applies for the med redshirt.

So with the uncertainty of the graduation, and then the med redshirt process, not too sure about him leaving.

I have zero inside knowledge on the though.

Oh and Beaver, it is AndersEn.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

so there you go.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Aggiefan33 wrote:They will be attempting to obtain a medical redshirt. That is how he could get another year.

I'm not sure how he would get a med redshirt if he left. The school typical applies for the med redshirt.

So with the uncertainty of the graduation, and then the med redshirt process, not too sure about him leaving.

Chuckie played in less than 30% of USU's games this season, so he would be eligible to apply for the medical hardship. Now typically the school applies for the waiver on behalf of the athlete, but the athlete (not the school) is awarded the extra year. So with that in mind, if he was awarded a 6th year, he could graduate in May and then transfer and play immediately under the graduate transfer rule.
Aggiefan33
Buckaroo

Yes that is how I understand it. What I intended is more of, would USU do that if he is out the door? I think it is an easy case, but I'm more questioning the politics.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Aggiefan33 wrote:They will be attempting to obtain a medical redshirt. That is how he could get another year.

:thumb: Thanks!

And total oops on my part, thought it was AndersOn. Now I know.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Aggiefan33 wrote:Yes that is how I understand it. What I intended is more of, would USU do that if he is out the door? I think it is an easy case, but I'm more questioning the politics.
Yeah I hear ya, it would be quite unusual...he could always transfer and THEN apply over the summer, but then his new team would have to accept him understanding that there is a chance he will get turned down and not be eligible to play.