NDSU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Refs trying to give this game to them.
W-Y, Until I Die!
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

NDSU lost all American LB travis beck (1 of bohl favorite players ever) we adjusted last game won 34-3 over Sam Houston and play missouri valley conference mate Illinois St Jan 10 on espn 2 for our 4th straight title. When they win the Seniors will be 58-3 and have more national titles (4) then losses that's crazy.

6 players in nfl and jets CB marcus Williams picked off Tom Brady last week and LB joe mays led the chiefs in tackles
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times

I find it amazing what NDSU is doing in the FCS. The Bison is absolutely tearing up the competition. I would think the school would have the opportunity to move up to FBS in several years if it so desires.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote:I find it amazing what NDSU is doing in the FCS. The Bison is absolutely tearing up the competition. I would think the school would have the opportunity to move up to FBS in several years if it so desires.
I'm not sure that will ever happen. The only conference that remotely makes sense geographically is the MAC. After that, next highest probability might be the Mountain West.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

I find it amazing what NDSU is doing in the FCS. The Bison is absolutely tearing up the competition. I would think the school would have the opportunity to move up to FBS in several years if it so desires.
And I don't know why they'd want to. Great success, exciting atmosphere, happy fans...why in the world would they want to enter the dismal arms race of the FBS?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

SnowyRange wrote:
And I don't know why they'd want to. Great success, exciting atmosphere, happy fans...why in the world would they want to enter the dismal arms race of the FBS?
Might be a little more Money from a Bowl appearance but it would be saying good bye to being known, forget about ESPN Gameday ever showing up again would just be another program in a bottom feeding G5 conference.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times

Not saying NDSU would move up to FBS... but they might consider it. Other schools have done it. Georgia Southern was fairly strong in FCS before moving up.

Why change the success at the FCS level? I agree, in one regard. However, I also believe that schools and their programs will eventually want to compete with the best in the game. Only way to do so is to play at the FBS level. It may take much time, a decade or two or even more, but NDSU could be playing in the new playoff and have a shot at the National Championship. That is the ultimate goal of any D-1 college football program.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

SnowyRange wrote:
Says losing teams.

I wonder what response they would get if they asked Boise? You make it sound rosy in FCS. A better spot for WYO, in your opinion?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Says losing teams.

I wonder what response they would get if they asked Boise? You make it sound rosy in FCS. A better spot for WYO, in your opinion?
That's the vibes I'm getting too. About 90% of the donors and fans would say goodbye.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Says losing teams.
Says winning teams.

It's NDSU we're talking about, after all. Multiple national championships.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Pretty simple...

Take NDSU and make them FBS, and they start losing 6 games a year, and you can say bye-bye to the fanbase and donors. Then they become what they are - the Idaho State of FBS football.

Now, if they stay FCS, they remain a big fish in that pond. Like Montana, et al. If I were NDSU, I would stay the course in FCS forever. Why f-word with something that doesn't need f-word with?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:Pretty simple...

Take NDSU and make them FBS, and they start losing 6 games a year, and you can say bye-bye to the fanbase and donors. Then they become what they are - the Idaho State of FBS football.

Now, if they stay FCS, they remain a big fish in that pond. Like Montana, et al. If I were NDSU, I would stay the course in FCS forever. Why f-word with something that doesn't need f-word with?
I would agree with this.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Pretty simple...

Exactly.
billings
Ranch Hand

Many montana fans want out of FCS now. They are seen as a peer university with UNC, Eastern Washington, Portland State, Weber State, middle of nowhere Utah team since that is who they associate with in an athletic conference.

On the road they play in front of 5,000 at times. Most of the FCS teams they play are struggling financially and losing money. If not for FBS money games, that could dry up as SOS come into play, they would go belly up.

FCS football has put a real lid on Montana Basketball since they play in a one bid league that will never get above a 12 seed and usually sees a 14 seed due to a very weak RPI from in-league play.

There are a lot of reasons to not stay in FCS for the top teams and that is why, when given a chance, three of the top FCS teams jumped into the sunbelt of all places.

Nah FCS is not a bed of roses
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

One counter I will propose to this argument.

There were people around Fargo who thought the same thing about the move from Division II to FCS.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

NDSU would be the only FBS program in ND. Intriguing to say the least.

I think it could work well for them; 5 million per year would put their budget in MWC ballpark.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:NDSU would be the only FBS program in ND. Intriguing to say the least.

I think it could work well for them; 5 million per year would put their budget in MWC ballpark.
UND would follow them up again like the annoying little brother that they are :lol:
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

joshvanklomp wrote:

One counter I will propose to this argument.

There were people around Fargo who thought the same thing about the move from Division II to FCS.

Look at budgets, facilities, attendance, etc. NDSU was near the top of D2 and while they had to increase the budget, they had the facilities and attendance of a top tier FCS team and the budget gap was in the 7 figures.

Now, if they move to FBS, they are suddenly in the bottom 3rd by all those metrics and the gap between them and top tier programs is 8 figures.

NDSU could be a FBS program and at least be competitive in the MAC. The question is: is that worth it?

There are pros and cons either way if you are a NDSU or Montana. Both could compete at the FBS level (lower G5 anyway), but neither will be notable. However, having a dominant resource position at the FCS level brings some notoriety.

Personally, I think Montana should have moved up when they had a chance a few years ago as they might have found themselves in the MWC the way things shook out. NDSU should hold out until conference alignment presents a better opportunity than the MAC. Nothing against the MAC, but I don't think it does NDSU a lot as an institution to compete against 2nd tier state schools from rust belt states to see who makes the whogivesa****.com bowl.

Wyoming is in a different situation as we are in a regional conference of mostly similar institutions with which we have a lot of history. We may have no realistic shot at competing for a national championship in football at this level, but we have a regular season slate with opponents that matter to our fanbase and a conference title to chase (a futile effort over the last 15 years, but still) that means something. That extends to other sports as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:Look at budgets, facilities, attendance, etc. NDSU was near the top of D2 and while they had to increase the budget, they had the facilities and attendance of a top tier FCS team and the budget gap was in the 7 figures.

Now, if they move to FBS, they are suddenly in the bottom 3rd by all those metrics and the gap between them and top tier programs is 8 figures.

NDSU could be a FBS program and at least be competitive in the MAC. The question is: is that worth it?
Bottom-third in all of FBS, maybe. But you very well know that there is a large difference between the P5 and G5.

Where would NDSU rank among the G5?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:NDSU would be the only FBS program in ND. Intriguing to say the least.

UND would follow them up again like the annoying little brother that they are :lol:
One word Mr. Vanklomp: HOCKEY :D