2015 Wyo QB?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jbeiermann
Ranch Hand

Who will start next year?

Austin Fort
Tommy Thorton
Cameron Coffman
or someone else?
GO POKES!!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

My money is on Coffman. Why come in and have one year to play and ride the pine? That would have been dumb of coach, and I think he's smarter than that.

But you did forget to mention the Facebook Kid.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

There's also Nick Smith - the RS Freshman from Fla.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
jbeiermann
Ranch Hand

I put other for fill in blank :)

I'm sure Coffman is good- but why not start someone who will be there....
It's not like we will go 12-0 with Coffman....
I love Brett Smith and ACS and they couldn't get us over the hump alone either....

Austin Fort would be a good story if he can play!?
GO POKES!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Coffman, before he was benched put up decent numbers in the Big 10, something like 2500 yards passing, while at Indiana. That way it gives the younger guys an extra year to learn the system.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Coffman will play if we learned one thing this year it was no QB behind Kirk was ready there is no way they will be better than a 3+ year starter under heavier competition levels.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I can say that it won't be Thornton. They would have gotten him more PT if they believed he was the guy. Coffman will be the man and Fort or Smith will be ready to take over the team as redshirt sophomores
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I am all in with Coffman.

Question is... can he hand the ball of for a first down to beat Nevada when all we need is a first down?
Can he beat an FCS team?
Can he hit an open WR in the endzone to beat SJSU?

It's a good story and all that Kirk got to start all season after being the scout team QB, but the fact is that none of the other guys were deemed good enough by Bohl to take his spot.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:I am all in with Coffman.

Question is... can he hand the ball of for a first down to beat Nevada when all we need is a first down?
Can he beat an FCS team?
Can he hit an open WR in the endzone to beat SJSU?

It's a good story and all that Kirk got to start all season after being the scout team QB, but the fact is that none of the other guys were deemed good enough by Bohl to take his spot.
To be fair, Kirk was never developed under DC and was thrown to the fire in his first ever game against FCS. We also have to remember that the defense allowed several 50+ yard runs early on. Plus, Kirk beat Montana, who is a better team than Cal Poly.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Would be cool if Fort won the job outright. Love it when Wyo kids do well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Can he beat an FCS team?
Which FCS team did we lose to in 2014?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Can he beat an FCS team?
Which FCS team did we lose to in 2014?
None. Which FCS team did we beat in 2012?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Triple-WY
Buckaroo

Wyoming is also recruiting JUCO QB Josh Allen from Reedley College in CA. 6'5" 215 lbs, threw for 2055 yards, 26 TDs, 5 int, and ran for 660 yards and another 10 TDs his freshman year. And, from Tom dna rifle's article, sounds like UW stands a good chance to get him. Indicated coaches informed him if he was not at least number two on the depth chart he would redshirt.

And, in the spirit of poorly informed message board speculation, if one of the QBs is capable of playing another position (Fort?), is it in the cards that we see a position change or some attrition....depending on how this class shapes up?
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Cam is the best QB hands down.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Going with a proven Qb like Coffman is the logical safe choice. It may only be one year, but with an experienced line and Running back the Pokes should make a bowl game. The offense will be much more productive and fewer teams will load up the defensive front. Going with a young guy wouldn't be good because teams would do the same thing they did with Colby. The Pokes need a statement season this year and Coffman gives us the best chance.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Triple-WY wrote:Wyoming is also recruiting JUCO QB Josh Allen from Reedley College in CA. 6'5" 215 lbs, threw for 2055 yards, 26 TDs, 5 int, and ran for 660 yards and another 10 TDs his freshman year. And, from Tom dna rifle's article, sounds like UW stands a good chance to get him. Indicated coaches informed him if he was not at least number two on the depth chart he would redshirt.

And, in the spirit of poorly informed message board speculation, if one of the QBs is capable of playing another position (Fort?), is it in the cards that we see a position change or some attrition....depending on how this class shapes up?
What other position can Fort play?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I saw Fort play a few times in high school. Last time I saw him was his Junior year. I'm sure he developed more since then, but at the time I wasn't very impressed with him as a QB, but I was impressed with his athleticism. I think he could play a number of positions, he has the size to be a LB, add a few pounds and he could be a TE or DE, or if he has the speed, he could be a WR or SS. At 6'4'', 218, the kid has the frame to go a bunch of routes.
Triple-WY
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote:
Triple-WY wrote:Wyoming is also recruiting JUCO QB Josh Allen from Reedley College in CA. 6'5" 215 lbs, threw for 2055 yards, 26 TDs, 5 int, and ran for 660 yards and another 10 TDs his freshman year. And, from Tom dna rifle's article, sounds like UW stands a good chance to get him. Indicated coaches informed him if he was not at least number two on the depth chart he would redshirt.

What other position can Fort play?

Maybe he can't play any other positions......but when originally recruited I do recall several folks stating they were not overly impressed with his ability at QB (in fact some voiced quite negative opinions) but it seemed that ALL agreed he was one hell of an athlete and there was speculation at the time that he would be recruited as an athlete and not a QB. He just reminds me a lot of the Jason Thompson / Tevis Bartlett type and with his size and athleticism I would think safety, tight end, and perhaps even OLB are in the realm of possible. Again, complete conjecture on my part.....I haven't even seen him play or practice.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

not sure who will play. nor do I want to get emotionally invested into somebody at this point.

Im guessing Coffman. but he may not pan out. he is from Missouri, or is it texas? could flop

just because fort is a Wyoming kid, doesn't mean he should play... especially at quarterback. the defensive backs in the Wyoming high schools aren't exactly good. so how good is he?

smith... not sure, I don't know if im ready for another smith at qb, they like to disappear when you need them

tommy... gheh.

young... I hate steve young... so I made the connection here.

maybe we should ask one of those burly cheerleaders is they want to get their hands up under center. I bet if she was dating one of the o lineman they might block better.

the two questions that need to be asked are...

1. Who should not start at quarterback? that should help us make a decision
2. If you son was a quarterback on Wyomings roster, would you want him playing behind our line.

I say let ethan wood have a shot. I like him better than anybody else at this point. that's a good story too. punter turned quarterback. maybe then we could recruit better punters
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Well, we just added another QB: Josh Allen. I watched his tape and he looks legit (I know, it's a highlight tape).

So this means there's a whole bunch of them.
Next years depth chart?

1. Coffman
2. Thornton
3. Aaron Young
4. Fort
5. Nick Smith
6. Josh Allen

Thornton looks pretty fast and it's been said on here Fort is a really good athlete. Is it possible that one of these two could be switched to another position?