Attendance under 20K

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Triple-WY wrote:
McPeachy wrote:This is a fun thread. Very Christmas Spirit-ish.

Can we stop talking about how it is so great to be a top 25 wrestling program? There are 79 D1 wrestling programs nationwide (soon to be 76 from my understanding). We should always be in the top 25.

I will not let you rain on my parade, sir.

Two points- First, there may be only about 80 D1 wrestling schools, but looking at recent UW history (2000s) they are beating programs that have Goliath scale athletic programs as compared to UW (Stanford, West Virginia, Duke, NC State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Oregon, Nebraska, as well as other respected programs such as Boise State, Navy, Air Force, et al). I will take that. Second, The D1 football landscape of the 80s and 90s was not that much different than today's wrestling landscape...think they were only about 100 teams...but that does not stop us from reminiscing about those top 25 Poke teams and claiming success.
quick side note... university of oregon doesn't have wrestling. They cut it so they could have baseball after a certain in-state rival won back to back national titles last decade.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
Triple-WY wrote:

Can we stop talking about how it is so great to be a top 25 wrestling program? There are 79 D1 wrestling programs nationwide (soon to be 76 from my understanding). We should always be in the top 25.

Two points- First, there may be only about 80 D1 wrestling schools, but looking at recent UW history (2000s) they are beating programs that have Goliath scale athletic programs as compared to UW (Stanford, West Virginia, Duke, NC State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Oregon, Nebraska, as well as other respected programs such as Boise State, Navy, Air Force, et al). I will take that. Second, The D1 football landscape of the 80s and 90s was not that much different than today's wrestling landscape...think they were only about 100 teams...but that does not stop us from reminiscing about those top 25 Poke teams and claiming success.
quick side note... university of oregon doesn't have wrestling. They cut it so they could have baseball after a certain in-state rival won back to back national titles last decade.
Phuckin Gutches from OSU beat UW's Reese Andy for the national title a long time ago
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Triple-WY wrote:

Phuckin Gutches from OSU beat UW's Reese Andy for the national title a long time ago
He has a banner hanging in Gill Collesium (where the Beavs wrestle, play basketball, volleyball, and gymnastics).
How long ago?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Triple-WY wrote:

He has a banner hanging in Gill Collesium (where the Beavs wrestle, play basketball, volleyball, and gymnastics).
How long ago?
When I was just a lad. Too lazy to look it up, probably when I was seven or eight. I'm 27 now. That was a great team with Reese Andy and the Alderman brothers.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

JimmyDimes wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
I can see why the Beav has suddenly become more...um...objective?? Or downright pessimistic. Same thing happened to me after I left UW and went to grad school. When you start seeing how things are run at a P5 school, and the size of the crowds, and the gameday atmosphere, and the national exposure, etc, etc. you start to get an inferiority complex with everything related to Wyoming. You start to wonder, how can we ever compete.
We can't.

Well, not in football, or most other sports.

There's some chance, I suppose, to compete as a semi-regular top 25 team in men's basketball, if we're willing to just flat-out shift our resources and emphasis from football to that.

I don't know enough about wrestling, which is doing well, to know if it would work there too.

I know we've had excellent athletes in Swimming/Diving and Track and Field but, again, I don't know the landscape well enough to even guess if emphasis there would let us compete nationally.
What the f-word are you talking about. Football will be back. The only decade in which Wyoming hasn't won a conference title in football was 2000 to 2010. To put that in perspective, Utah went 40 years between titles....thank the Olympics and Urban Meyer. Some program like UNM are 50 plus years from their most recent football title. Basketball is improving....receiving votes and the top half of the conference. Wrestling top 25. All other teams normally finish in top half of conference...not always but normally.

Tell us what most means to you?

To be honest, this board is turning into a big pile of poop. Too many negative Nancy's trying to compare our current state to the SEC. We are in a conference of peers institutions with similar traits. We are aligned with schools that aren't in heavily populated areas with the exception of SDSU and maybe UNLV. You want bigger crowds than say 30K....then make some babies.

Wyoming travels well, but has a small local population to pull from. Is this news to some of you knuckleheads?

Peace out!!

Great post!!!