Attendance under 20K

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

as much as I love the exposure and $ from ESPN games, they kill us in attendance if it's in Nov at 6-9pm at night,

We need to stick with noon or 2pm kickoffs especially late in the season, people are willing travel then but not for a 9pm game in Laramie in November, it's an easy fix, I'd rather be on Root than ESPN for those games that only matter to our bottom line...that's my feelings on that
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

as much as I love the exposure and $ from ESPN games, they kill us in attendance if it's in Nov at 6-9pm at night,

We need to stick with noon or 2pm kickoffs especially late in the season, people are willing travel then but not for a 9pm game in Laramie in November, it's an easy fix, I'd rather be on Root than ESPN for those games that only matter to our bottom line...that's my feelings on that
I think it's just the opposite. It is for instance a fantastic recruiting tool: "We play on ESPN!" (And our whole future depends on recruiting.)

And, if we're going 9-3, and contending for titles, that stadium would be full on a Sunday morning at 2 a.m.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:

I think it's just the opposite. It is for instance a fantastic recruiting tool: "We play on ESPN!" (And our whole future depends on recruiting.)

And, if we're going 9-3, and contending for titles, that stadium would be full on a Sunday morning at 2 a.m.
We went 8-4 and had we beaten TCU we would have gone 9-3 and won the mwc championship but the stadium wasn't even close to full.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:

Simply not true. We did this is 96 going 10-2. Avg attendance was 17k. That's 2k less than we avgd going 4-8 and 5-7 the last two years. And we were still considered in the running for conf titles all the way to 2000. That's a season of 8-5, no bowl, avg attend 18k; 8-3, no bowl, avg attend 17k; and 7-4, no bowl; avg attend 18k. We competed, we were known for taking on big name school in their backyard and coming up just short (Colorado, later won by forfeit, Georgia, Tenn) and we were considered contenders against rivals like Utah, BYU and CSU. We weren't getting blown out and we were winning these, and yet people still never showed. Winning does not necessarily mean butts in seats. We have our own proof of that in the not so distant past.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Simply not true. We did this is 96 going 10-2. Avg attendance was 17k. That's 2k less than we avgd going 4-8 and 5-7 the last two years. And we were still considered in the running for conf titles all the way to 2000. That's a season of 8-5, no bowl, avg attend 18k; 8-3, no bowl, avg attend 17k; and 7-4, no bowl; avg attend 18k. We competed, we were known for taking on big name school in their backyard and coming up just short (Colorado, later won by forfeit, Georgia, Tenn) and we were considered contenders against rivals like Utah, BYU and CSU. We weren't getting blown out and we were winning these, and yet people still never showed. Winning does not necessarily mean butts in seats. We have our own proof of that in the not so distant past.
Well, if that is so, then there's nothing to be done.

And I suppose the corollary is that everyone can stop bitching about something -- everything! -- being the fault of the Athletic Department.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

SnowyRange wrote:

I don't get this whole recruiting argument. I think a full stadium on a sunny afternoon is much more exciting than a 1/3 full stadium late at night. If a recruit was visiting, I would think he would have a much better experience hearing 25k or more rather than a quiet, empty stadium with espn cameras. Players have complained about night games, I assume recruits would like it even less. And with those start times, east coast recruits are already asleep and people on the west coast would rather watch the primetime PAC-12 game.

I think the best espn coverage we can get is top plays and highlights on sportscenter. There's always multiple games on tv we have to compete with, but there's only one sportscenter. And the basketball plays that have been on top plays this season came from games that weren't televised on the espn network.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote:as much as I love the exposure and $ from ESPN games, they kill us in attendance if it's in Nov at 6-9pm at night,

Thats not the way it works. the conference has control of our games as I understand it. We can have some input as to scheduling timing etc. Now once they sold the rights to CBS and ESPN they have hteir choices of what games they want. Once they choose a game they have control to decide when the game is played, within the contract(Friday nights and late saturdays are withing the contract).

Wyoming as a school doesn't have the power to say "no thanks ESPN, we want to play at noon". Even if we did we wouldn't because we want the exposure of being on ESPN. Personally I don't care about ESPN but I understand that thought process.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Brew_Poke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Advertising, advertising advertising, advertising, advertising and, wait, oh a little bit more advertising! In order to build fan support and excitement for UW athletics it's going to take some... wait for it... advertising! Send out letters to UW alumni, get some floats in parades state-wide, distribute pamphlets in gas stations, billboards in every town. We've got to make it seem cool to come to Laramie to see games (which it really is). Athletics can be a great tool because it's the only real connection many of us have left to the Univ. of Wyoming.
I think that's an oversimplistic, pollyanna-ish take on it. Advertising wouldn't have gotten me there this year. I didn't see a game at all in person for the first time in 14 years this year. There is nothing that the CJC or the AD could've done with advertising to get me there. The problems go a lot deeper than not 'getting the word out' enough. Everybody knows that UW has a football team that plays in Laramie on 6 Saturdays in the fall.
I feel like I agree with what you're saying.

There's a bigger issue with UW athletics than advertising.
What, then? Because we've sucked for 15 years? All that makes you are fair-weather fans. Why don't you just turn in your Wyoming fan cards right now if we suck so bad? As soon as we have success you three are going to be right back on the bandwagon thumping your chests. Because fair-weather fans like some of you leave for "greener" pastures we've got to find some new ones to fill the stadium, hence advertising.
The bigger issue is the fans. The fans dont care. The fans hope for 6-6. The entire athletic department is ran poorly. Go look at how Boise or Utah or any Pac12 or Big12 school and see how they run things.

The athletic director has no vision, the BOT fired the one guy who was willing to change the culture of losing. The culture or demand for successful college athletics doesnt exist. The students dont give a poop compared to other schools. Fans come to watch other teams not our own.

And no im not a fair weather fan. This is the first year I didnt go to a wyo home game but I did go to a road game. Ive been a fan through all the losing and will continue to be. That doesnt mean I dont acknowledge the piss poor result of uw athletics.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:
stymeman wrote:as much as I love the exposure and $ from ESPN games, they kill us in attendance if it's in Nov at 6-9pm at night,

Thats not the way it works. the conference has control of our games as I understand it. We can have some input as to scheduling timing etc. Now once they sold the rights to CBS and ESPN they have hteir choices of what games they want. Once they choose a game they have control to decide when the game is played, within the contract(Friday nights and late saturdays are withing the contract).

Wyoming as a school doesn't have the power to say "no thanks ESPN, we want to play at noon". Even if we did we wouldn't because we want the exposure of being on ESPN. Personally I don't care about ESPN but I understand that thought process.
Espn at 8pm is worthless. Most people are asleep. The rest of the people wanna watch the pac12 game on.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Night games cost money for fans. That is obvious. The difference (for me at least) of attending a day game and a night game is like $180. My drive from Salt Lake is shorter than for a lot of people in the state. I am all about the days games. I can leave like 6 am and be to a 1 pm kickoff and be home by midnight.

Late night games are cold. I don't want to hear this whole "Cowboy Tough" "Welcome to WY" BS. The cold sucks and doesn't give us any more advantage than the next team. Our players are from the same states these other teams are. It affects us just as much. The same ones saying "Bring on the late night cold badass Wyoming night" games are the ones complaining when balls are being dropped and fumbles run rampant.

For our state, team, environment, weather, students, fan attendance, list goes on and on... Games with a 1 PM kickoff are the best.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

For our state, team, environment, weather, students, fan attendance, list goes on and on... Games with a 1 PM kickoff are the best.
Maybe so, but those days are long gone.

At Michigan Bo Schembechler used to say, "Toe meets leather at 1:00. If you don't want to televise it, don't."

Pretty quaint, huh? Even Michigan plays when they tell them to.

And so will we.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

I am not arguing that. I am simply saying (in broad terms) that 1 PM games are better for us. I know we don't have a say in it. But, it is still true. Night games at UW suck.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I think some teams would work at night but only under the right circumstance.

Needs to be early season and marquee matchups.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:The athletic director has no vision, the BOT fired the one guy who was willing to change the culture of losing.
Yup, clearly Craig Bohl has no intention of doing so and that's why he was hired. To make sure Wyoming never has another successful season! :roll:
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
djm19
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I think some teams would work at night but only under the right circumstance.

Needs to be early season and marquee matchups.
early season game at 6 PM vs Oregon in a few years. game on. Nov vs New Mex? Hell no.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Brew_Poke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Advertising, advertising advertising, advertising, advertising and, wait, oh a little bit more advertising! In order to build fan support and excitement for UW athletics it's going to take some... wait for it... advertising! Send out letters to UW alumni, get some floats in parades state-wide, distribute pamphlets in gas stations, billboards in every town. We've got to make it seem cool to come to Laramie to see games (which it really is). Athletics can be a great tool because it's the only real connection many of us have left to the Univ. of Wyoming.
I think that's an oversimplistic, pollyanna-ish take on it. Advertising wouldn't have gotten me there this year. I didn't see a game at all in person for the first time in 14 years this year. There is nothing that the CJC or the AD could've done with advertising to get me there. The problems go a lot deeper than not 'getting the word out' enough. Everybody knows that UW has a football team that plays in Laramie on 6 Saturdays in the fall.
I feel like I agree with what you're saying.

There's a bigger issue with UW athletics than advertising.
What, then? Because we've sucked for 15 years? All that makes you are fair-weather fans. Why don't you just turn in your Wyoming fan cards right now if we suck so bad? As soon as we have success you three are going to be right back on the bandwagon thumping your chests. Because fair-weather fans like some of you leave for "greener" pastures we've got to find some new ones to fill the stadium, hence advertising.
The bigger issue is the fans. The fans dont care. The fans hope for 6-6. The entire athletic department is ran poorly. Go look at how Boise or Utah or any Pac12 or Big12 school and see how they run things.

The athletic director has no vision, the BOT fired the one guy who was willing to change the culture of losing. The culture or demand for successful college athletics doesnt exist. The students dont give a poop compared to other schools. Fans come to watch other teams not our own.

And no im not a fair weather fan. This is the first year I didnt go to a wyo home game but I did go to a road game. Ive been a fan through all the losing and will continue to be. That doesnt mean I dont acknowledge the piss poor result of uw athletics.
Damn Beaver a lot of negative posts lately. Let me be the first to congratulate yourself and welcome you to the dark side.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:The athletic director has no vision, the BOT fired the one guy who was willing to change the culture of losing.
Yup, clearly Craig Bohl has no intention of doing so and that's why he was hired. To make sure Wyoming never has another successful season! :roll:
Roll your eyes at me all you want but I am right.

And Bohl has nothing to do with it.
I am not talking about Dave Christensen.

I am talking about President Sternberg the previous president of UW before Christensen was fired. We don't have a coaching issue, we have an administration issue. Sternberg came in, was going to change it, then the good ole boys AKA the Board of Trustees fired him after 4 months on the job. How dare anyone show initiative and try and bring the university forward!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cuttslam wrote: Damn Beaver a lot of negative posts lately. Let me be the first to congratulate yourself and welcome you to the dark side.
Dark side? Or facing the reality of where Wyo stands in college athletics?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

OK, you you said theyn fird the one person willing to change the culture. Meaning there's no one else who could possibly change it. Only him. That I have a problem with.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I can see why the Beav has suddenly become more...um...objective?? Or downright pessimistic. Same thing happened to me after I left UW and went to grad school. When you start seeing how things are run at a P5 school, and the size of the crowds, and the gameday atmosphere, and the national exposure, etc, etc. you start to get an inferiority complex with everything related to Wyoming. You start to wonder, how can we ever compete.

The first time I came back to a game at the War after having spent 2 seasons of games at Camp Randall in front of 80,000+ people, I thought "wow, I don't remember the War being this small or this quiet". It definitely gives you a WHOLE new perspective on things.

Now I'm not saying, screw it, we're doomed, what's the point...not at all. I still support Wyoming completely, and I love catching as many games as my schedule/budget allows. But I kind of understand this sense of doom and gloom from Beav, because I've been where he is - from Wyo to a bigger school - and seen the difference. He might not even realize that's what's happening, I know I didn't at first.

Just be glad he didn't transfer to Oregon or it'd be 10 times worse.