Attendance under 20K

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

LanderPoke wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:Golf :rofl:
Please, can we take all money allocated to golf and give it to skiing?
FIFY

But you can't have a golf course without a golf team...so UW will always have a golf team, as long as they own the 30+ acres of mixed Bermuda & Bent that gets used 5 months of the year. That bitch loses more money than most could ever imaging. But it is UW's - and it is watered for free...so there is that.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
FIFY

But you can't have a golf course without a golf team...so UW will always have a golf team, as long as they own the 30+ acres of mixed Bermuda & Bent that gets used 5 months of the year. That bitch loses more money than most could ever imaging. But it is UW's - and it is watered for free...so there is that.
Dumb.....just think how far the cost of the indoor golf facility could have gone toward re-establishing the ski program. You know, the program which Wyoming took home its most recent national championship.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
FIFY

Dumb.....just think how far the cost of the indoor golf facility could have gone toward re-establishing the ski program. You know, the program which Wyoming took home its most recent national championship.
The problem is that we have to compete in a certain number of MWC sports in order to remain in the conference. Men's and Women's Golf fulfill that requirement but skiing (and Wrestling for that matter) are not MWC sports.

We could drop Golf, but would need to add additional MWC sports to stay in the league and I assume that those options (Baseball/Softball for example) are more expensive (at least to the AD) than Golf. We wouldn't be any more competitive in those sports either, so I understand why we are where we are in terms of sports offered.

I would rather see skiing, but I understand why it isn't practical.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Good point. Has our AD ever tried to organize a travel weekend package TO Laramie? Maybe partner with airlines, hotels, rental cars, restaurants, etc. for an all encompassed package to travel to Laramie for football and bball game. Open IPF for reception type setting where families from around the State can also join those that traveled in from out of State. At least something along these lines. It could be "Bringing Wyoming Home Weekend" or something...
Could be a good idea, but that's the province of alumni associations, not athletic departments. You should contact the UW alumni association, see what they've tried.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

SnowyRange wrote:
Good point. Has our AD ever tried to organize a travel weekend package TO Laramie? Maybe partner with airlines, hotels, rental cars, restaurants, etc. for an all encompassed package to travel to Laramie for football and bball game. Open IPF for reception type setting where families from around the State can also join those that traveled in from out of State. At least something along these lines. It could be "Bringing Wyoming Home Weekend" or something...
Could be a good idea, but that's the province of alumni associations, not athletic departments. You should contact the UW alumni association, see what they've tried.
:rofl: I knew it. You do work in the AD. Attendance? Not our fault. Budget? Not our fault. Record? It is the coaches fault. New idea? Not our area; contact someone else. What do we do? Just know you are lucky to have us.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

:rofl: I knew it. You do work in the AD. Attendance? Not our fault. Budget? Not our fault. Record? It is the coaches fault. New idea? Not our area; contact someone else. What do we do? Just know you are lucky to have us.
Sorry, no, I don't.

You should educate yourself about these things, though. There's a whole world of knowledge out there, often accessible by this site I found: google.com.

I was curious, and went and looked. It would be healthy habit for you too!

(ETA: I guess I don't know that there is not, somewhere, an athletic department that acts as an organizer and booking agent for alumni trips. I sure looks like alumni associations are the ones who do it though.)
Last edited by SnowyRange on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:
Sorry, no, I don't.

You should educate yourself about these things, though. There's a whole world of knowledge out there, often accessible by this site I found: google.com.

I was curious, and went and looked. It would be healthy habit for you too!
Then you need more exposure. Other ADs around the country very much organize weekend events and activities as well as cater to Alumni.

BTW, your continued defense of the Athletic Department is odd if you don't work there.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Then you need more exposure. Other ADs around the country very much organize weekend events and activities as well as cater to Alumni.
Maybe so! I only flipped through the first five pages of search results, showing all the alumni associations setting up these trips.

ETA: I call it like I see it. If you don't like it, squeal away!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

NowherePoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
FIFY

The problem is that we have to compete in a certain number of MWC sports in order to remain in the conference. Men's and Women's Golf fulfill that requirement but skiing (and Wrestling for that matter) are not MWC sports.

We could drop Golf, but would need to add additional MWC sports to stay in the league and I assume that those options (Baseball/Softball for example) are more expensive (at least to the AD) than Golf. We wouldn't be any more competitive in those sports either, so I understand why we are where we are in terms of sports offered.

I assume that you are talking about Cross Country skiing? Because adding Alpine skiing would be extremely impractical given the closest ski hill to Laramie worth training on is Steamboat, which is a 2 1/2 hour drive on good roads. You could maybe get some training in at Eldora which is still 2-2 1/2 hours away.

And before anyone gets the bright idea to suggest Snowy Range, just stop yourself right now. That hill is not nearly big enough for advanced skiers or boarders to legitimately train on.

Now if you meant Cross Country skiing, I'm all for it!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:I assume that you are talking about Cross Country skiing? Because adding Alpine skiing would be extremely impractical given the closest ski hill to Laramie worth training on is Steamboat, which is a 2 1/2 hour drive on good roads. You could maybe get some training in at Eldora which is still 2-2 1/2 hours away.

And before anyone gets the bright idea to suggest Snowy Range, just stop yourself right now. That hill is not nearly big enough for advanced skiers or boarders to legitimately train on.

I completely disagree.

Alpine skiing won a national championship at Wyoming - training on that mountain (Snowy Range) - and they could do it again. There are plenty of runs that are adequate to train a team on. The team also utilized the Happy Jack mountain as well, which is roughly 10 minutes from campus, but considerably smaller and not groomed / kept.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
FIFY

I assume that you are talking about Cross Country skiing? Because adding Alpine skiing would be extremely impractical given the closest ski hill to Laramie worth training on is Steamboat, which is a 2 1/2 hour drive on good roads. You could maybe get some training in at Eldora which is still 2-2 1/2 hours away.

I know what you are saying, but I am pretty sure UW used to compete in the full spectrum of skiing events resulting in a National Championship in 1985, and a couple of runner up finishes as well.

Think of it this way, the primary Golf season runs from February through the MWC championships in Mid-April. How far does UW have to travel to practice/compete in Golf during that time frame? All of the tournaments are in AZ/CA and practice is difficult. Sure, you might get lucky and be able to drive to FTC for a round at times but that's about it.

They do play in some fall events in Colorado or Utah for golf, but that's about as regional as it gets. I would also suggest that Jacoby:Championship Golf is pretty similar to Snowy Range:Championship Skiing. IOW, no relation in either case.

I suppose this does a good job of highlighting some of our challenges athletically.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:
Maybe so! I only flipped through the first five pages of search results, showing all the alumni associations setting up these trips.

ETA: I call it like I see it. If you don't like it, squeal away!
Like I said, you need to get out more. Curious, what were your search terms that yielded 5 pages of results showing ONLY alumin associations organizing game weekend events?

Call it like you see it or defend it at all cost due to association with AD? You and Visorhair rally to any post that questions the AD. Curious for sure.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Like I said, you need to get out more. Curious, what were your search terms that yielded 5 pages of results showing ONLY alumin associations organizing game weekend events?

Call it like you see it or defend it at all cost due to association with AD? You and Visorhair rally to any post that questions the AD. Curious for sure.
Oh, no doubt I don't have your long and wide-ranging experience. Surely I'm a mere stripling compared to you.

And I also have no doubt that you don't like some of my opinions. Sadly, I am almost certainly unable to conform my thoughts and deeds to what you find proper...so I must apologize in advance for any offense!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:I assume that you are talking about Cross Country skiing? Because adding Alpine skiing would be extremely impractical given the closest ski hill to Laramie worth training on is Steamboat, which is a 2 1/2 hour drive on good roads. You could maybe get some training in at Eldora which is still 2-2 1/2 hours away.

I completely disagree.

Alpine skiing won a national championship at Wyoming - training on that mountain (Snowy Range) - and they could do it again. There are plenty of runs that are adequate to train a team on. The team also utilized the Happy Jack mountain as well, which is roughly 10 minutes from campus, but considerably smaller and not groomed / kept.
After doing a little research on the subject, I have to change my opinion. It could possibly work as college alpine skiing only consists of Slalom and Giant Slalom, there is no downhill discipline. My thinking was that there is no way sufficient training for downhill could take place at Snowy Range (no way, far too small). I would imagine you could create a challenging enough course at either Snowy or Happy Jack to be able to train for slalom, and then on the weekends head to Winter Park, Steamboat, Copper, etc. and train your Giant Slalom. If downhill was involved I would be very skeptical, but as it is not, I feel better about the idea.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:

Oh, no doubt I don't have your long and wide-ranging experience. Surely I'm a mere stripling compared to you.

And I also have no doubt that you don't like some of my opinions. Sadly, I am almost certainly unable to conform my thoughts and deeds to what you find proper...so I must apologize in advance for any offense!
What were those all encompassing search terms that showed ADs NEVER organize game day events, weekends, etc.?

I want to educate myself using google.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

What were those all encompassing search terms that showed ADs NEVER organize game day events, weekends, etc.?

Good attitude!

Well, what I was trying to figure out was who does these airline, hotel, ticket packages that the poster was talking about. At first pass, all I came up with was alumni associations, which both made sense and squared with my experience.

I have no idea if the UW alum association has ever tried setting something like this up. Do you know?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:

Good attitude!

Well, what I was trying to figure out was who does these airline, hotel, ticket packages that the poster was talking about. At first pass, all I came up with was alumni associations, which both made sense and squared with my experience.

I have no idea if the UW alum association has ever tried setting something like this up. Do you know?
You ridiculed me and told me to educate myself using google. Now, in any research based or academic setting, education in other words, a search is only as good as the terms used. So help educate this country hick and tell me the all encompassing search terms you used to conclude beyond all doubt that athletic department play no part in organizing game weekend festivities. Please separate search terms by commas.

I will have to weigh these against my own first hand observations of athletic departments catering to and organizing alumni events for game weekends.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

conclude beyond all doubt that athletic department play no part in organizing game weekend festivities
Ah, I see the error now.

Game day "festivities"? Sure.

But these plane/hotel/ticket packages? That I didn't see.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:
conclude beyond all doubt that athletic department play no part in organizing game weekend festivities
Ah, I see the error now.

Game day "festivities"? Sure.

But these plane/hotel/ticket packages? That I didn't see.
Search terms yielding over 5 pages clearly demonstrating that athletic departments have no involvement in game weekend activities and/or travel?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I'll save a little time here and quit giving you rope. Many athletic departments organize weekend festivities and include things like hotel discounts, airfare discounts, etc. even for home games. Obviously, it is most common for away games. Universities like Iowa State have an entire Alumni Athletic Travel group that does this. Others do things like new grad season tickets at a reduced rate and coordinate other weekend entertainment items.

Since WYO, more than many other Universities, has a high percentage of graduates who leave the area (as Nowhere pointed out), you would think that an AD struggling with attendance would have the vision to do things to facilitate getting alumni back to fill the stands. Rather than just point to our limitations as excuses, I would feel much more comfortable with an athletic department that at least tried some innovative ways to overcome them.

We do an absolutely terrible job with alumni relations at the University level and within the athletic department.