Tevis

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Hahaha Washington is a lateral move compared to Wyoming? Arguably not a step up???

What the f-word am I reading?

Since I have some of these numbers readily available...

Wyo last 7 seasons:
35-51, 1-1 in bowl games.

Washington last 7 seasons:
2014: 8-5 (Could be 8-6 or 9-5 after bowl game)
2013: 9-4 (Won bowl game) *1 win over ranked team
2012: 7-6 (Lost bowl game) *2 wins over ranked teams
2011: 7-6 (Lost bowl game)
2010: 7-6 (Won bowl game) *3 wins over ranked teams
2009: 5-7 *2 wins over ranked teams
2008: 0-12

7 year total: 43-46
2-2 in bowl games, will either be 3-2 or 2-3.
5 winning seasons. 8 wins over ranked teams.

Washington is 3 games below (will be either 2 or 4 games below) .500 after their bowl. That includes a 0-12 season.
Since then they have absolutely turned it around.

They are a Pac12 program, and have a great established coach. But that is just the recent results. Let's look at the big picture.

Since 1967 Wyo has won 2 bowls (2004-Vegas, 2009-New Mexico)
Since 1967 Washington has won 14 bowls (15th pending) including 5 Rose Bowls and 1 Orange Bowl. (But they do have a total of 7 Rose Bowl wins)

Washington has 4 National Championships (They recognize 2, and the NCAA recognizes two more).

Their stadium holds 70K people.
Washington Huskies QBs have the 2nd most starts in the NFL compared to any other school.
Washington is 19th all time in winning percentage and 22nd in wins in NCAA history.
12 unbeaten seasons, including 7 perfect seasons.
14 current NFL players compared to our 7.

What world do you live in that Wyoming to Washington is a lateral move?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Hahaha Washington is a lateral move compared to Wyoming? Arguably not a step up???

Wyo last 7 seasons:

Washington is 3 games below (will be either 2 or 4 games below) .500 after their bowl. That includes a 0-12 season.

They are a Pac12 program, and have a great established coach. But that is just the recent results. Let's look at the big picture.

Since 1967 Washington has won 14 bowls (15th pending) including 5 Rose Bowls and 1 Orange Bowl. (But they do have a total of 7 Rose Bowl wins)

Washington has 4 National Championships (They recognize 2, and the NCAA recognizes two more).

Washington Huskies QBs have the 2nd most starts in the NFL compared to any other school.
Washington is 19th all time in winning percentage and 22nd in wins in NCAA history.

They also have one of the coolest tailgating experiences in the country....it's called sailgating, and if you have never done it, you need to attend at least one University of Washington home game and check out Husky Harbor. Here's an article on the way the Huskies tailgate...

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.db ... =209001609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Hahaha Washington is a lateral move compared to Wyoming? Arguably not a step up???

Wyo last 7 seasons:

To compare Washington football to Wyoming football is laughable. Some people have made one to many trips to Colorado for their legal weed.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote:

Wyo last 7 seasons:

To compare Washington football to Wyoming football is laughable. Some people have made one to many trips to Colorado for their legal weed.

Haha yeah they're a real powerhouse.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote:

Wyo last 7 seasons:

They also have one of the coolest tailgating experiences in the country....it's called sailgating, and if you have never done it, you need to attend at least one University of Washington home game and check out Husky Harbor. Here's an article on the way the Huskies tailgate...

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.db ... =209001609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well good thing I've got an excuse to go check that out every other season now. Too bad I will have to wait 2 years for the next game up there.
That sounds awesome though.

When did you go do it? What game? Was it rainy?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
CowboyNV wrote:

Wyo last 7 seasons:

Well good thing I've got an excuse to go check that out every other season now. Too bad I will have to wait 2 years for the next game up there.
That sounds awesome though.

When did you go do it? What game? Was it rainy?
You definitely need to go. I lived in Oregon for many years, and I had a friend who worked for the same company who lived in Seattle and he invited me up to watch the Oregon game in 2007. Oregon won the game by 3 touchdowns (as a closet Oregon fan, that was a great result). It was a great day and there were over 66,000 fans there to watch the game. My friend had a "small 36' SeaRay" (his words, not mine) and we went to the stadium on his boat. Sailgating on his boat along with a whole bunch of people on all kinds of different boats was a definite highlight in my life. You must schedule a trip up there to at least take part in one of their games. When you talk about fan experiences, it has to rank in the top 10 in college football.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

MrTitleist wrote:This thread is amazing.

Not in a good way.

I really don't understand where the mentality comes from that just because you pick a big school to attend, you'll automatically ride pine because you're from small-town Wyoming. That mentality is dumb. If you're good enough to earn a scholarship from multiple Pac12 schools and a B1G school, they don't bring you in to ride pine. The lack of support for a young Wyoming athlete here is amazing. Why wouldn't an 18 year old kid bounce on the opportunity to play for an obviously successful head coach in a terrific city? Sometimes kids don't want to stay at home, despite how much they love the school they grew up watching? Why wouldn't you want the opportunity to play in front of 80,000 fans in the Rose Bowl? Or 80,000 fans at the Coliseum? Or live in Seattle for five years on a scholarship?

Basically, deciding schools is more than just what's convenient.. for an 18 year old, living away from home, playing in Pac12 stadiums, and going to a reputable school is big. And if things at Washington don't work out, I'm sure Craig Bohl's staff would take him with open arms. It's the reality we live in.. sometimes kids want to see the world. The horror.
I can't help but compare what is being said here to the complaints we also hear from fans when we "waste" scholarships on Wyoming kids when they do decide to play in Laramie. The prevailing attitude seems to be that Wyoming kids simply cannot compete with the real players. That attitude also surfaces when we see the "ride the pine" comments re: Tevis. Simply having the opportunity to disprove the assumption that "Being from Wyoming" = "Cannot compete at the top level" should be reason enough for Tevis to take a scholarship from a Pac 12 or B1G school. I do not blame him, although I would have blamed him in my younger years.

In fact, when I was faced with an opportunity to pursue academics (not athletics) at either U.W. or at a top tier school in that academic field, I made the exact same choice that Tevis did. I imagine that many U.W. alumni and dedicate Poke fans eventually decide to take the best offer with the most upside that is on the table--even if it means leaving Wyoming. I also think it took a great deal of maturity and self-awareness to understand personal growth the way he did, and then to explain it. Reflecting back on my academic choices, I have to say that my personal experience was similar to what Tevis is hoping for. My best growth as a person was when I left my comfort zone and ventured away from Laramie and Wyoming. (On the other hand, it might have simply been that I was less tempted to watch a Pokes game vs. do homework at other schools than when I was in Laramie.)

I do agree that this is a good opportunity to think about the bigger picture that includes school quality and job opportunities in the state. We have to admit that, for many people, the ceiling is simply lower if they stay in-state. Each time someone makes a choice like this, it really is a good opportunity for us to reflect on where our program is and what we need to do in order to be the kind of place that kids choose for the same reasons that Tevis offered for picking Seattle, Washington over Laramie, Wyoming.

Frankly, we have a lot of ground to make up as both a state and as a university. We would do well to recognize that and take care of our own business before we condemn others for making what was probably a wise choice if analyzed objectively. I will also want to see how he does. The University of Wyoming is representative of Wyoming. Many people from Wyoming embrace the university because it is part of who we are and a product of our state. The very reasons that some of us are Poke fans are the same reasons that we will also keep track of how Tevis does. He is a Wyoming guy. To claim indifference is also to deny the reality that the University of Wyoming and State of Wyoming are inextricably linked.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:According to some of you. No athlete should ever choose Wyoming. We should just all congratulate these kids for not choosing Wyoming. Then at the same time complain and wonder why Cowboy football isn't better. Christ, the logic of some people....

Every kid has their own dream. Just like Beave and being a Beaver fan for some "oddball" reason. But we need to remember this, because when you get bent out of shape about a WYO boy going to another school, remember, we raid other states talent aswell. Case in point, CJ Johnson from Nebraska, leading WR all-time in the state. I'm sure several thousand Nebraska fans are wondering what just happened that WYO crept in and got this one. Or the Boy from Missou, Overstreet. His numbers are not only number one in the state, but they are national aswell. I'm sure Wyoming going down and getting him, turned some heads.
We always have players from WYO interested, but not all of them are going to choose WYO. Some aren't even fans. They are products of a family that moved from somewhere else where they probably had a fav team. Others might be bred here, they just choose someone else. And others look for their best fit.
I agree completely but I think it really burns people when a great student athlete says he grew up loving the Cowboys and dreamed of playing for the pokes and then finally gets his chance and goes to a school arguably NOT a step up from us. That's what pisses me off. Fine he goes to Oregon, fine he goes to USC. Those are understandable. We lost a home grown "pokes fan" to the university of Washington? Really? What do they have that we don't? A better conference? How's that working for the Buffs? I see this as a lateral move and it pisses me off. Don't tell me you're a cowboy fan to the bone then turn down a scholly to go to a school mired in the same cesspool as us. What a joke.
What does the University of Washington have that we do not?

1) Check out the most recent annual rankings of National Universities published by U.S. News and World Report. Even apart from football, the University of Wyoming has a long way to go to catch up to the University of Washington.

2) I believe that the University of Washington shared a National title once during my lifetime. Wyoming has not.

3) Check out where Wyoming sends kids who want to go to Med School while staying within the Wyoming system.

4) As for the letter. I do not see it as rubbing salt in our collective wound. I saw it as a sign of respect and maturity by explaining to the folks who really were hoping he stayed in Wyoming why he made the choice he did. To me, it shows that he really does care for the broader Wyoming community. As I have said elsewhere, this is a chance for us to learn from someone who had an opportunity to really dig deeper into the strengths and weaknesses of the University of Wyoming compared to other national universities. If we remember that the football program is but a small part of the University and that the University of Wyoming is a product of the larger state and community that is Wyoming, then the letter makes much more sense.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Cornpoke wrote:According to some of you. No athlete should ever choose Wyoming. We should just all congratulate these kids for not choosing Wyoming. Then at the same time complain and wonder why Cowboy football isn't better. Christ, the logic of some people....
That's beavers logic. And he's now beaver, not beaverpoke
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Didnt porter gustin's parents both play sports at wyoming? Be nice to see a 4 star alumni's kid take a chance in Wyoming football when Wyoming took a chance on them and gave them scholarships
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote:Didnt porter gustin's parents both play sports at wyoming? Be nice to see a 4 star alumni's kid take a chance in Wyoming football when Wyoming took a chance on them and gave them scholarships
Would be awesome, but like Cornpoke said, according to some it would be a terrible idea for him to come here no matter what, and then we can bitch about how we never do very well and wonder why.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:
That's beavers logic. And he's now beaver, not beaverpoke
:orly:

Where did I ever say that?
I pointed out why a kid with offers from half the Pac12 would be wise to get out of Southeastern Wyoming.

And funny, that "no athlete should ever choose Wyoming" mostly applies to football right? And interesting how almost every kid with multiple FBS offers sees it that way too.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

According to some of you everyone should not go to Wyoming because it has little to offer culturally, educationally or athletically. The way some of you talk I am confused why you root for Wyoming or post on this board.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote:According to some of you everyone should not go to Wyoming because it has little to offer culturally, educationally or athletically. The way some of you talk I am confused why you root for Wyoming or post on this board.
And to think beaver used to be the biggest sunshine pumper on here.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:According to some of you everyone should not go to Wyoming because it has little to offer culturally, educationally or athletically. The way some of you talk I am confused why you root for Wyoming or post on this board.
I'm generally disappointed with the level of pride for our state and university on this board. It's disappointing because I thought that I would find a bunch of die-hard Wyoming supporters on here.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
I'm generally disappointed with the level of pride for our state and university on this board. It's disappointing because I thought that I would find a bunch of die-hard Wyoming supporters on here.
I am a die-hard supporter, I have just changed my tone from optimist to critic because time after time after time UW has failed to deliver any sort of acceptable results on the field. We continually finish towards the bottom of the conference in football and have only recently started competing in hoops again since the McClain era.

My frustrations come with seeing 12K in War Memorial on a friday night game, then hearing about the f-word population for 10000000th time. There are so many excuses/reasons that we can't get a damn packed stadium and a quality football team. It's ridiculous. I am just ready for Wyo to win, the fans pack the place, and neither administration or fans have excuses. You know, kind of like successful athletic programs.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Not quite sure what you are looking for. There are a lot of die-hard supporters of UW on here. But being the fans we are, we have been snake bit as of late. I know I, for one, am a critical thinker of a fan. I am critical of our failures and our areas where improvement is needed. I enjoy and celebrate our accomplishments, but am disappointed that there are not more of them. That's another aspect I enjoy about Wyoming fans is that we don't have a lot of ignorant, outspoken fans running around spouting how Wyoming is the best team in every sport. There are certainly some that will defend the University as a whole and the state to their last breath, and I count myself in that category. But I'll be damned if I'll watch us suck ass and just take it with a smile on my face.

If you want to be around a bunch of ignorant, outspoken fans who think their team is the best thing ever created, go to a byu or Broncos game, but you won't find that here.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
I am a die-hard supporter, I have just changed my tone from optimist to critic because time after time after time UW has failed to deliver any sort of acceptable results on the field. We continually finish towards the bottom of the conference in football and have only recently started competing in hoops again since the McClain era.

My frustrations come with seeing 12K in War Memorial on a friday night game, then hearing about the f-word population for 10000000th time. There are so many excuses/reasons that we can't get a damn packed stadium and a quality football team. It's ridiculous. I am just ready for Wyo to win, the fans pack the place, and neither administration or fans have excuses. You know, kind of like successful athletic programs.
If discussing legitimate issues facing our program is making excuses, what should we talk about? The population concern is not opinion, it's fact. If we had 1,000,000+ within 100 miles of the stadium it would be packed. But we don't, and it's not. You can Beav it up all you want, just because you think Wyoming should sell out every single event we have doesn't mean it's realistic. Plus, you left. You don't get to bitch about the fan turnout. We're here.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

What a great post...kudos.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:+1
and then pour salt in the wound and write an unnecessary letter telling why Wyoming doesn't stack up.
Bang!