Phil Steele Returning Starters

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JAN15/DBJan05.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wyoming ranks last in the MW. Time will tell if that's really bad news, or addition by subtraction. I expect a little of both.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, losing Mertens will hurt, as well as Rufran, Claiborne, Nzeocha and Harris. Though we had a lot of receivers rotate in and out all season. Mertens was our most consistent guy on the d-line, and Nzeocha was the best tackler (him going down mid-season really hurt us afterwards).
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Well, losing Mertens will hurt, as well as Rufran, Claiborne, Nzeocha and Harris. Though we had a lot of receivers rotate in and out all season. Mertens was our most consistent guy on the d-line, and Nzeocha was the best tackler (him going down mid-season really hurt us afterwards).
Defense couldn't stop anyone towards the end of last season....but yeah, losing those guys and depth on the DL certainly won't make the job easier.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Our position within the MWC won't get any worse. Same story next year: top few teams then absolute toss-up after that. MWC will be bad overall again next year. Really, BSU is the only thing that resembles the MWC of old. Yeah, there will be better teams than us, but there won't be a lot of teams that are vastly better.

It is what we always wanted; we are competitive because everyone else also sucks.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Our position within the MWC won't get any worse. Same story next year: top few teams then absolute toss-up after that. MWC will be bad overall again next year. Really, BSU is the only thing that resembles the MWC of old. Yeah, there will be better teams than us, but there won't be a lot of teams that are vastly better.

It is what we always wanted; we are competitive because everyone else also sucks.
Hard to argue against this, especially after the way the MW played during the bowl season.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

J-Rod wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Our position within the MWC won't get any worse. Same story next year: top few teams then absolute toss-up after that. MWC will be bad overall again next year. Really, BSU is the only thing that resembles the MWC of old. Yeah, there will be better teams than us, but there won't be a lot of teams that are vastly better.

Hard to argue against this, especially after the way the MW played during the bowl season.
On the bright side the MW did better than the Big XII in the bowl season.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: On the bright side the MW did better than the Big XII in the bowl season.
That and the MW has more NY6 bowl victories than the SEC does after year 1 of the new system. Stupid, I know...but a fact for now.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

J-Rod wrote:
Wyokie wrote: On the bright side the MW did better than the Big XII in the bowl season.
That and the MW has more NY6 bowl victories than the SEC does after year 1 of the new system. Stupid, I know...but a fact for now.
Plus the MW didn't have anyone get embarrassed like Florida State did. :rofl:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Plus the MW didn't have anyone get embarrassed like Florida State did. :rofl:
Well, Fresno came pretty close. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm disappointed they won't be on the schedule next season.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

I am thinking that losing the likes of Andrea Jones and Blair Bear will be a HUGE UPGRADE.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

The good news is we will have our O line back, mostly. The offense should be OK simply because of that fact and Brian 'BeastMode' Hill.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote:The good news is we will have our O line back, mostly. The offense should be OK simply because of that fact and Brian 'BeastMode' Hill.
And we get Wick back.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'll make an early bold prediction: C.J. Johnson starts at WR as a true freshman.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

J-Rod wrote:I'll make an early bold prediction: C.J. Johnson starts at WR as a true freshman.
A josh doctson type ?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

J-Rod wrote:I'll make an early bold prediction: C.J. Johnson starts at WR as a true freshman.
+1 I think he's going to be a difference maker. I'm excited for Kevin Jackson, too. Tall receivers who can run and get open will help us tremendously. Running game could be unstoppable with a decent passing attack.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: A josh doctson type ?
I think he's this classes Brian Hill. That guy that, based on his high school tape, you can't figure out why he isn't highly sought after. Fingers crossed he doesn't get poached late. Stay away Mike Riley!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i have a feeling the real "rebuild" begins next year and I see us 4-8, 5-7 again, sorry, but hopefully I'm wrong, just hoping we have better QB play this year
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

stymeman wrote:i have a feeling the real "rebuild" begins next year and I see us 4-8, 5-7 again, sorry, but hopefully I'm wrong, just hoping we have better QB play this year
Our schedule is more favorable this year. I think we have A LOT of work to do, but I see the Pokes busting out 6-7 wins this year.

USU is imploding right now. No Offensive or Defensive Coordinators. Both gone. Other than Boise State, the MWC will once again be "meh."
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Agree 6-7 wins is a definite possibility, with our schedule. The O line returns 4 out of 5 and a couple other guys had started at some point last year. Wick and Hill are solid and Coffman has the experience that Kirk lacked. We have a lot of hungry young defensive players, who will have to step up this year. My biggest concern will be the defensive front. A lot of underachieving last season. Hell Seth Edeen had 2 solo sacks and played in some big games and made some big plays as an extremely undersized walk on. Why can't the rest of players perform like he did ? This is a question that i just cannot understand.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

mwc fan wrote:Agree 6-7 wins is a definite possibility, with our schedule. The O line returns 4 out of 5 and a couple other guys had started at some point last year. Wick and Hill are solid and Coffman has the experience that Kirk lacked. We have a lot of hungry young defensive players, who will have to step up this year. My biggest concern will be the defensive front. A lot of underachieving last season. Hell Seth Edeen had 2 solo sacks and played in some big games and made some big plays as an extremely undersized walk on. Why can't the rest of players perform like he did ? This is a question that i just cannot understand.

i guess the studs we used to get may not have it anymore, maybe we do need to get more Wyo kids to walk on and show them what Cowboy Tough really is, that is if they wanna be just that!!!