Unit that makes biggest leap forward?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

What unit do you think takes the biggest leap forward next year?

I'm thinking the O-line. My reason is that I'm starting to believe good MWC-level O-lines can be made to a greater extent than other units (i.e. coaching has greater impact). Give these kids another offseason in the weight room and a good running back to motivate them and I think our O-line is most improved unit next year.

Yours?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Agree with O line...being a big one. QB right there, but largely because of the O line. RB's will be solid, as will WR's and TE's.

As far as defense...whew. Big challenges across the board there in all aspects. Same with special teams.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WRs. I think we see less of the overachieving types, and more of the type of WR Bohl wants to see in this offense.

I will never believe that either line will make a big leap forward until I actually see it with my own eyes. It's becoming a running joke on this board at this point.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I thought the Oline performed ok last year. And, they lose only one starter. Ryan Cummings is a star in the making. There would have been fewer sacks if Colby got rid of the ball in a more timely manner on numerous occassions. Can't say they didn't create holes to run through.

However, I think we see a huge improvement in the secondary.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

JimmyDimes wrote: However, I think we see a huge improvement in the secondary.
I agree, but that is not saying much, because up was the only way left to go.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

JimmyDimes wrote:I thought the Oline performed ok last year. And, they lose only one starter. Ryan Cummings is a star in the making. There would have been fewer sacks if Colby got rid of the ball in a more timely manner on numerous occassions. Can't say they didn't create holes to run through.

However, I think we see a huge improvement in the secondary.
Cummings impressed me almost as much as Hill did. And both were true freshmen.

Pass protection, yeah Colby would hold on a bit too long at times, but other times he would barely have a chance to drop back before getting pressured.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:What unit do you think takes the biggest leap forward next year?

I'm thinking the O-line. My reason is that I'm starting to believe good MWC-level O-lines can be made to a greater extent than other units (i.e. coaching has greater impact). Give these kids another offseason in the weight room and a good running back to motivate them and I think our O-line is most improved unit next year.

Yours?
I am siding with the idea that the defensive secondary makes the biggest improvement, largely because it was the unit that needed the most improvement. I thought that the offensive line at times last year played really well, and I feel the biggest improvement that they will make is consistency. I do see the OL as being one of the strongest units on the team next year. I also see great improvement out of the QB position. I am not really concerned with the offense next season. As I feel the OL will be strong, the QB play will be improved, especially as the season goes on, and we already know the RB position is in really good hands, and I see the WR position being stronger due to better QB play.

The area that worries me the most right now is defense. The defensive secondary, as someone else said, can do nothing but improve, and I do see them improving. The DL should still be ok, but we will need to develop some depth. The one area that I am worried about is the LB position, with the loss of the seniors from last year and now the loss of one of the young guys (Bush) that I thought had a chance of really being a contributor next season. Beyond Wacha, I am not seeing much experience and this scares me. Muhammad played hard, and Trent Sewell is new to the position, and Jeff Lark comes back, but we really do need a JC guy IMO to come in and give depth and experience to the position.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Problem with our linebackers is that they're so damn small. Wacha is still under 200 lbs. and Muhammed and Lark are barley 6 feet tall. That ain't going to cut it when they're taking on blockers or big RBs. Hope they make up for their lack of size with sound technique and strength. Still can't believe Wacha struggles with gaining quality weight.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Coaches. It's not FCS up here.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I think the unit that will take the biggest step forward are the "redshirts" I think this year they will all get out of their street clothes and into uniform on game days. Hell, some of them might even play. ;-)
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Defensive secondary because it was the weakest link and needs the most improvement.

I hope that whatever Tyran was doing to stay out of games is resolved because he was and IMO is still one of the smartest when it comes to interrupting passes jumping routes.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:Defensive secondary because it was the weakest link and needs the most improvement.

I hope that whatever Tyran was doing to stay out of games is resolved because he was and IMO is still one of the smartest when it comes to interrupting passes jumping routes.
I was quite perplexed he didn't see the field more this season. All indications before he got hurt was he was the fastest and most well rounded CB we had. Then he got hurt and we really haven't heard anything from him since with the exception of the 2 INTs. Weird.