Well, if we're ever going to see state support for athletics

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

budget increases, it's going to be now. Laramie has some people in power in the state legislature.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-a ... 9f91c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I worry about the crumbling energy sector and how that will weigh on budget decisions. I think there will be some strong opposition to spending.

Note: I'm not advocating anything; just predicting how WYO legislature will respond to current affairs.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hopefully they are not so short sighted as to realize that the dip in the energy sector is only temporary. OPEC is losing just as much money as everyone else, only difference is they have the coffers to withstand these lower prices for longer than anyone else. Their hope is to destroy all foreign production by crashing the market price; which so far it looks like they are succeeding. Within 12 months (probably less), I predict oil will be back up in the $80-100/barrel range and spending on energy in Wyo will be back on track.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

They have a billion dollar rainy day account? That is why it is there for . This is the exact reasons for investing in the University to make it a premier institution and not one that wobbles with the price of a barrel of oil!
Write your legislators and ask them to support UW.
GO POKES
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Douglaspoke wrote:They have a billion dollar rainy day account? That is why it is there for . This is the exact reasons for investing in the University to make it a premier institution and not one that wobbles with the price of a barrel of oil!
Write your legislators and ask them to support UW athletics.
GO POKES
Fixed.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Douglaspoke wrote:They have a billion dollar rainy day account? That is why it is there for . This is the exact reasons for investing in the University to make it a premier institution and not one that wobbles with the price of a barrel of oil!
GO POKES
Several billion. And I agree...the support of UW needs to continue to ramp up, both academically (most important) and athletically - the front porch.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:
GO POKES
Several billion. And I agree...the support of UW needs to continue to ramp up, both academically (most important) and athletically - the front porch.
I think it is around 3 billion - maybe more now.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
hithere
Ranch Hand

GO POKES
This post needs no fixing.

The legislature and the University's relationship; now that needs to be fixed. Ain't this some poop?

Who in the bloody blue hell fights over peer institutions? Which did UW list? What does the legislature think is more appropriate!?

I've never heard of this happening before. I'm sure it does, but good lord...
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

The real stunner for me is that both those legislators from Laramie are Republicans. Laramie used to be the only place in the state that would regularly elect Democrats.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Lost Poke wrote:The real stunner for me is that both those legislators from Laramie are Republicans. Laramie used to be the only place in the state that would regularly elect Democrats.
I know Senator Nicholas. His son was one of my good buddies. Nicholas is a big proponent of the University and will do whatever he can to secure as much money as possible. I think his big thing is the sciences. He's pushing to get that Cheney sciences thing through so we can eventually become a top-tier research school (CSU is a top-tier research institution btw).