OT: Richard Sherman out of touch...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I get the whole thing about giving the athletes COA but Sherman's comments are ridiculous:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/st ... -bash-ncaa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Show me how you're going to get all your work done when you get out [of practice and meetings] at 7:30 or so and have a test the next day and you're dead tired from practice and you still have to study and get the same work done."
"As a student-athlete, you don't have that kind of time. You wake up in the morning and have weights. Then you go to class. Then you might get a bite to eat, then you go to meetings and then you have practice. And you have to try to get all your school work done."
Straight up poop. I had a night job and worked 8 hour shifts then went to morning classes. After class, I ate what I could afford and took a nap. I went to the library to study where it was warm (to keep my heat bills down) and then off to work. Everyone I knew was doing similar things.

This guy is full of himself; I'd like to see an athlete live the life of someone struggling to pay their way through college.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I love how he throws in ALL the school work you have to get done. Granted he went to Stanford where I'm sure the academics are more stringent, but my work load in undergrad and grad studies was never that extreme. He's making it out to be 3-4 hours a day. Most athletes are (unfortunately) just looking for passing grades, 5-10 hours a week is plenty to achieve that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

It makes me laugh when people think that an undergrad class load in Communications is a burden.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote:It makes me laugh when people think that an undergrad class load in Communications is a burden.
I've come to accept that different people have vastly different struggles with subjects, though. Computer Science was easy for me and the only "study" time I ever spent was getting assignments done, which really didn't take all that long if you understood the material. Some students spent 5-6 hours a day outside of class studying just to pass their classes, though (and this was before everybody was distracted by their phones in class). I think I averaged maybe 90 minutes a week to get As in all classes but one, but I've also always had a really easy time with school in general.

Similarly, even though Communications might be ridiculously easy for a lot of students, I'm sure there are others who struggle in the same way with whatever it is they need to learn. No matter what your major, I'm sure there are things you need to learn that you didn't previously know.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think it's the subject matter of Communications that bothers me. I swear a business admin degree would be almost as easy. Or marketing. I just wish these athletes would choose something halfway practical, but you're right, viking penguin man. If everyone were smart the world would not be interesting. If everyone were good at music, music would not be as interesting. If everyone were athletic, sports would not be as interesting. Everyone's got different talents... and the world is good because of it - I sounds like a damn hippie, huh?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

When I was in Laramie I worked in the WYDOT office maintaining and updating the signs in the Laramie area. HELLO. It was a 24 hour job. I had school most days. That meant I worked the 8-8 shift. 8pm to 8am. I didn't have the luxury of free tutors and floating due dates and one on one teacher attention. This whole, "poor athletes with no time" BS has got to go. I sat in classes and listened to players on the basketball team talk about how they hadn't opened their books the entire semester and giggled. Then watched the same players lean over other, non athlete, students shoulders and look at answers to test questions. ALL WHILE THE INSTRUCTOR WALKED AROUND AND WITNESSED THIS!!! There wasn't a single word said to them as they athletes. Its such a farce. The treatment of athletes and normal students is not the same and it does not favor the normal student.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Maybe Sherman thought school was hard because he actually made an effort. Pretty sure the dude had a 4.0 in high school and college. He put everything into academics AND athletics. To the point he is very educated and an elite NFL talent. Not too many college football players can say they put in the effort Sherman did to academics or athletics. Simply being a d1 athlete doesn't mean you work hard at football. You know Sherman got to where he did by doing more than the minimum required at practice.

He is the exception not the rule.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

I think people do fail to realize the time commitment and just assume it is only a few hours practice. Yes, no different than single parents.....people working full time (my mother worked full time and took a full class load)....but to say these guy's schedules aren't full is not correct. Obviously there are outliers, etc.

As far as professors, some may be favorable but I'd argue just as many or more are against athletics in general. :twocents:
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BJC wrote:I think people do fail to realize the time commitment and just assume it is only a few hours practice. Yes, no different than single parents.....people working full time (my mother worked full time and took a full class load)....but to say these guy's schedules aren't full is not correct. Obviously there are outliers, etc.

As far as professors, some may be favorable but I'd argue just as many or more are against athletics in general. :twocents:
+1

In all the classes I've taken with athletes I've never once seen anything like the players just leaning over to get answers and the prof being okay with cheating.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I also never really noticed athletes in any of my classes getting preferential treatment. It obviously happens across the country (see recent articles about North Carolina for example), but I never witnessed it at WYO.

Nonetheless, I guarantee that they don't work any harder or have longer hours than students working their way through college. In fact, with all the extra support they receive, it is probably much easier than holding a full-time job and going to school. Sherman's comments are nothing short of ignorant in that regard.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
BJC wrote:I think people do fail to realize the time commitment and just assume it is only a few hours practice. Yes, no different than single parents.....people working full time (my mother worked full time and took a full class load)....but to say these guy's schedules aren't full is not correct. Obviously there are outliers, etc.

+1

In all the classes I've taken with athletes I've never once seen anything like the players just leaning over to get answers and the prof being okay with cheating.
I'm just telling you what I saw. It was during the Shroyer dark ages but most definitely blew me away. I was dumbfounded.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

+1

I'm just telling you what I saw. It was during the Shroyer dark ages but most definitely blew me away. I was dumbfounded.
It happened to me during the McClain era as well. Mainly during freshman year, on test days I would sit down and all of a sudden a group of basketball players would move directly behind me. I'm sure they were peering over my shoulder to get answers. I didn't actively help them, and I figured if they could actually do it without getting caught, kudos to them.

Point is, I'm sure this sort of thing goes on at schools all over the country and has for a long time.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

+1

It happened to me during the McClain era as well. Mainly during freshman year, on test days I would sit down and all of a sudden a group of basketball players would move directly behind me. I'm sure they were peering over my shoulder to get answers. I didn't actively help them, and I figured if they could actually do it without getting caught, kudos to them.

Point is, I'm sure this sort of thing goes on at schools all over the country and has for a long time.
At OU-Norman, football players are required to cheat.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

+1

At OU-Norman, football players are required to cheat.
I didn't know they were even smart enough to do that.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WYCowboy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:At OU-Norman, football players are required to cheat.
I didn't know they were even smart enough to do that.
At OU, they'll do ANYTHING to make sure they win. If they get caught, OU just pays the NCAA under the table.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!