Overstreet makes Parade All-American

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

http://parade.com/370582/parade/great-e ... -the-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not gonna lie, still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this kid. His numbers were unbelievable, he looks solid on tape....but almost nobody outside of Wyoming wants him. He's a rare lowly-rated prospect on this list. Most of those kids are 4-star, 5-star players.

Still, this is good news. Last MW player to be on a PAA team that I remember was Jay Ajayi. Here's to hoping Overstreet is a similar steal.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Overstreet does put up video game like numbers, but I think it's the whole "big fish in a small pond" thing, but I'm not complaining.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Overstreet does put up video game like numbers, but I think it's the whole "big fish in a small pond" thing, but I'm not complaining.
I know, but still...not even a sniff from other schools? It's not like Missouri is lighting up the recruiting trail themselves. Wyoming's gain in this case...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Congrats, to Kellen Overstreet. Can't wait to see him the Brown and Gold.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

He's been committed to Wyoming for quite a while now, so maybe the others decided to not pursue him.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Check out his 2014 stats. Makes me wonder why even more why other schools haven't even tried to offer him.
http://247sports.com/Player/Kellen-Overstreet-21347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Check out his 2014 stats. Makes me wonder why even more why other schools haven't even tried to offer him.
http://247sports.com/Player/Kellen-Overstreet-21347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are historic numbers. Like I said, I feel like there is something we don't know. Kellen Moore put up insane numbers on a bunch of farm boys but even he got a 4-Star rating for his efforts. Overstreet has gone largely ignored, aside from accolades like this one.

This is obviously good for Wyoming, just leaves you wondering what we are missing here.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:Check out his 2014 stats. Makes me wonder why even more why other schools haven't even tried to offer him.
Those are historic numbers. Like I said, I feel like there is something we don't know. Kellen Moore put up insane numbers on a bunch of farm boys but even he got a 4-Star rating for his efforts. Overstreet has gone largely ignored, aside from accolades like this one.

This is obviously good for Wyoming, just leaves you wondering what we are missing here.
I wonder the same thing. But I take solace in the fact that I don't think Bohl and staff would extend the offer if there were off the field issues. I truly think this is a case of their loss is our gain. He'll have a chip on his shoulder, and he is talented. Thats a dangerous combo.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:

“I’m out here trying to get my kids fired up to take (Overstreet) down,” the coach said. “But he’s just the nicest kid ever.”

The statement summed up why the nation’s leading rusher in 2014, according to MaxPreps, is as respected by his competitors as he is by teammates. Take it from one of his biggest on-field rivals, Polo quarterback Wiley Martin, who had his season end at the hands of Overstreet’s Hornets each of the past three seasons.

“I have the most respect for Kellen just because of who he is,” Martin said. “You would figure with the numbers he has put up in his career and the amount of success he has had in high school, that he would be very arrogant and full of himself. But he handles himself very quietly and is really respectful on the field.”

http://www.newspressnow.com/sports/high ... a6d7b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.S. Just ignore this part of the article:

Now, Overstreet has a chance many small-school players in northwest Missouri dream about but few actually get. He will play Division I FCS football next year at Wyoming, carrying the flag for all the players who are overlooked on a yearly basis.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: P.S. Just ignore this part of the article:

Now, Overstreet has a chance many small-school players in northwest Missouri dream about but few actually get. He will play Division I FCS football next year at Wyoming, carrying the flag for all the players who are overlooked on a yearly basis.
f-word these guys lol. I officially discredit the rest of what the article had to say.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I hope he pans out for the Pokes. If the competition he was playing against was better, it might be easier to gauge the kid. Does anyone know if he played in any State All Star games or anything like that? Would love to see film of him against a defense that actually knows how to line up properly.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:Kellen Moore put up insane numbers on a bunch of farm boys but even he got a 4-Star rating for his efforts. Overstreet has gone largely ignored, aside from accolades like this one.
BTW, Moore is from a bigger town, in comparison to Overstreet.

Prosser, WA, is 5,714.
Hamilton, MO, is 1,809

Easier to get accolades IMO if in a bigger town.
talent22
Buckaroo

Okay, let's set the record straight on this kid. I have known this young man for a long time. At one time, I coached him in his younger years. First, he is a young man of character and faith. His faith played a huge role in committing to Wyoming. Second, what the media has been saying about him is true. He really is a good young man and very competitive. His dream has been to eventually end up in the NFL. He has been talking about that since Kindergarten. Yes, I have known that long (I am a close, family friend). Third, his skills have gotten him this far. If you put the ball in his hands, he will make plays. What other schools were after him, you ask? All of the ivy league schools wanted him in addition to Tulsa, Boston College, TCU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Florida State, Florida, New Mexico, Notre Dame, Kansas State, Northwestern, and few others that I cannot remember at this time. The problem he ran into was that his parents, who are both teachers, could not afford to get him to their camps for invites. Therefore, his parents made tough decisions about where he could show what he could do on certain campuses. They mapped out a radius of travel and decided what they could afford and did it. I know that they did travel to Notre Dame and Northwestern during the spring semester of his junior year. They were good trips, but did not amount to much. Kellen's stats I believe would have been just as good in the larger class schools. His parents did take him during the summer to Rivals camps, NUC camps, Blue-Grey, etc. He was invited to one of the NIKE camps, but could not go due to illness. He has competed against many of the young men that have the 4 and 5 stars at these camps. Kellen is not a flashy player. He is a team player and leader amongst his teammates. He has come up short the last two years of the state championship in Missouri. He would tell you in a heartbeat that he would much rather have two more state championships than any of the accolades he received personally. I believe that other schools overlooked him because of his school's class in football. I know he got overlooked for other accolades because of that very issue. Does he have what it takes? We shall see. He is 5'11", 195lbs, runs a 4.5 40, (his game speed our head football coach said was probably even faster and that is on a grass field), benches over 300lbs, squats over 400lbs and cleans just as much.

Lastly, listen to the young man himself with an interview he did just before the semi-final game his school was to play:
http://www.stjoechannel.com/story/d/sto ... Akp75jRmIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully, I have set the record straight on this young man and Wyoming is very fortunate to get him. He is truly a diamond in the rough!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Overstreet is the type of recruit that can really be a program changer. I can't wait until we get to see him on the field.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board talent22. I have heard nothing but good things about Kellen. There is no doubt in my mind he will do well at Wyoming. From what I have seen and learned, he could not have a better coach than Coach Bohl. We are lucky to have Kellen come to Wyoming.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Kellen sounds like a great young man that should be a great player for the Pokes. We're excited to see him in the brown & gold!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

We have so many good runningbacks now, and they all seem to be really good guys who encourage and help each other improve. It'll be fun to see what kind of impact Overstreet can have, as he definitely seems like a diamond in the rough.

I suppose in the best case scenario for Cowboys, Kellen won't see the field until 2016, but by then he'll probably weigh around 210 lbs and be a monster. :)
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I suppose in the best case scenario for Cowboys, Kellen won't see the field until 2016, but by then he'll probably weigh around 210 lbs and be a monster. :)
It'll definitely be interesting if they'll be able to redshirt him.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I appreciate the info, but to honestly say he would've put up the same numbers at a large Division school is a stretch. I wish him well up here with us. Seems like a great kid.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

Seems like a great kid, and exactly what Coach Bohl is looking for on this team. We will have a deep, talented backfield for many years to come.