Overstreet makes Parade All-American

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Reading this thread is irritating. We bitch and moan about east coast bias, about how flawed the ranking system is, and then some pull the same elitist BS against Kellen. That he might only be in the top 10 HS rushers instead of the top 2 isn't good enough? ran into this same poop when cody thumped laramie years ago to win state football. Get real.

Welcome Kellen, run hard.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

nwpoke wrote:Reading this thread is irritating. We bitch and moan about east coast bias, about how flawed the ranking system is, and then some pull the same elitist BS against Kellen. That he might only be in the top 10 HS rushers instead of the top 2 isn't good enough? ran into this same poop when cody thumped laramie years ago to win state football. Get real.

You have mistaken bitching for curiosity and there is a difference and it's not odd to be curious as to how Wyoming ended up with someone that clearly should be a 4-5 star back. I think the difference is had he visited all those schools in the SEC and ACC he would have more stars. So yes I do feel the more high profile schools an athlete shows interest in and visits also increases his ranking by way of popularity.

Diamond in the rough isn't what we got, What we got is a diamond that chose Wyoming. It doesn't matter why he chose us but I'm sure as hell happy he did.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

I didn't confuse poop. Although maybe a lifetime of supporting underdogs makes me a little oversensitive.

Totally agree with your second paragraph tho. Our RB's are going to leave boot marks on lots of defenses the next few years, which will help the passing game immensely.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
nwpoke wrote:Reading this thread is irritating. We bitch and moan about east coast bias, about how flawed the ranking system is, and then some pull the same elitist BS against Kellen. That he might only be in the top 10 HS rushers instead of the top 2 isn't good enough? ran into this same poop when cody thumped laramie years ago to win state football. Get real.

You have mistaken bitching for curiosity and there is a difference and it's not odd to be curious as to how Wyoming ended up with someone that clearly should be a 4-5 star back. I think the difference is had he visited all those schools in the SEC and ACC he would have more stars. So yes I do feel the more high profile schools an athlete shows interest in and visits also increases his ranking by way of popularity.

Diamond in the rough isn't what we got, What we got is a diamond that chose Wyoming. It doesn't matter why he chose us but I'm sure as hell happy he did.
You are right on with your comments Wyo2dal.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Wyo2dal wrote:

I think this kid will end up (barring injury) one of the best, if not the best, running backs to ever play at Wyoming. He's got all of the tools to be something special, and I am excited to watch him progress over his career at Wyoming. He's a winner.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It is really hard to judge Overstreet. His numbers are historic, but he also lives in a town populated by 1,700 people. Hell, his high school enrollment is around 250 kids. Needless to say, it amazing this school participated in 11-man football. In his tape, I don't see elite speed or frankly any trait that suggests he is a 4-Star/5-Star recruit. He looks like a solid player playing against the lowest level of 11-man football imaginable. Even Wyoming high schools are large by comparison.

Could he be great? Absolutely...but I don't think there is any guarantee that Kellen is great or even a given to be a contributor. He could very well get into camp and be blown away by the overall talent level at Wyoming, which obviously is super human compared to a high school of 250 kids.

Parade All-Americans tend to be legit...but I'm in wait and see mode with Overstreet. I think a redshirt year is almost certainly in the cards for him.

Really, I'd like to hear the opinion of someone tapped into Missouri high school football that isn't clearly biased. Missouri took 4 RBs in the 2015 class...clearly they know something we don't.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

talent22 wrote:Okay, let's set the record straight on this kid. I have known this young man for a long time. At one time, I coached him in his younger years. First, he is a young man of character and faith. His faith played a huge role in committing to Wyoming. Second, what the media has been saying about him is true. He really is a good young man and very competitive. His dream has been to eventually end up in the NFL. He has been talking about that since Kindergarten. Yes, I have known that long (I am a close, family friend). Third, his skills have gotten him this far. If you put the ball in his hands, he will make plays. What other schools were after him, you ask? All of the ivy league schools wanted him in addition to Tulsa, Boston College, TCU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Florida State, Florida, New Mexico, Notre Dame, Kansas State, Northwestern, and few others that I cannot remember at this time. The problem he ran into was that his parents, who are both teachers, could not afford to get him to their camps for invites. Therefore, his parents made tough decisions about where he could show what he could do on certain campuses. They mapped out a radius of travel and decided what they could afford and did it. I know that they did travel to Notre Dame and Northwestern during the spring semester of his junior year. They were good trips, but did not amount to much. Kellen's stats I believe would have been just as good in the larger class schools. His parents did take him during the summer to Rivals camps, NUC camps, Blue-Grey, etc. He was invited to one of the NIKE camps, but could not go due to illness. He has competed against many of the young men that have the 4 and 5 stars at these camps. Kellen is not a flashy player. He is a team player and leader amongst his teammates. He has come up short the last two years of the state championship in Missouri. He would tell you in a heartbeat that he would much rather have two more state championships than any of the accolades he received personally. I believe that other schools overlooked him because of his school's class in football. I know he got overlooked for other accolades because of that very issue. Does he have what it takes? We shall see. He is 5'11", 195lbs, runs a 4.5 40, (his game speed our head football coach said was probably even faster and that is on a grass field), benches over 300lbs, squats over 400lbs and cleans just as much.

Lastly, listen to the young man himself with an interview he did just before the semi-final game his school was to play:
http://www.stjoechannel.com/story/d/sto ... Akp75jRmIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully, I have set the record straight on this young man and Wyoming is very fortunate to get him. He is truly a diamond in the rough!!
Thanks for this message. I hope history repeats itself. Last year someone appeared out of nowhere to "vouch" for an incoming player that he knew, and that player ended up grabbing a thousand yards total offense in about half a season. And with his 5.5 YPC rushing he was second to our starter's 6.0 YPC. If he can contribute this season, great. If we have to wait a year while he gets bigger, stronger and faster then that's okay too. If May stays at RB we might end up with the deepest RB rotation in the country.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cowboyz wrote:If May stays at RB we might end up with the deepest RB rotation in the country.
Wasn't it already announced that May is moving to safety?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Overstreet said there is about a 50-50 shot of him redshirting in his initial season – something Bohl relies heavily on as a coach. He did that at North Dakota State to build a program that eventually won three straight FCS titles. In his first year at Wyoming, the former Nebraska assistant went 4-8 and 2-6 in Mountain West games.

Overstreet will be one of five Missouri players on the roster next year and joins Central products Tyree Mayfield and Malkaam Muhammad. But of that group, Overstreet hails from the smallest school.

“Not many people get this opportunity,” Overstreet said. “So, I will go there and make the best of it.”

http://www.newspressnow.com/sports/high ... 7e985.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

J-Rod wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote: P.S. Just ignore this part of the article:

Now, Overstreet has a chance many small-school players in northwest Missouri dream about but few actually get. He will play Division I FCS football next year at Wyoming, carrying the flag for all the players who are overlooked on a yearly basis.
f-word these guys lol. I officially discredit the rest of what the article had to say.
What's so bad about this?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote: P.S. Just ignore this part of the article:

Now, Overstreet has a chance many small-school players in northwest Missouri dream about but few actually get. He will play Division I FCS football next year at Wyoming, carrying the flag for all the players who are overlooked on a yearly basis.
f-word these guys lol. I officially discredit the rest of what the article had to say.
What's so bad about this?
They called Wyoming FCS. We're FBS. And yes, there is quite a MAJOR difference.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Ohh it slipped right past me.