Is it me or is the Cowboy Joe Club Auction

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Mr.Large
Ranch Hand

a little underwhelming?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Mr.Large wrote:a little underwhelming?
No - it isn't just you.

Granted, it is for a good cause, and is a good fundraising idea. But when UW CJC started the online auction (late 90's I think) the items were largely filled with memorabilia / trips / tickets / events / jerseys - and things you don't normally see on an auction site (and certainly things you can't just pick up and buy anywhere - which is THE SELLING / PROFIT POINT of an auction).

The mentality has shifted to a $$$$ first situation (as almost everything with UW athletics). The CJC feels they can take a $4 "Cowboys in Colorado" plain yellow T shirt and put in on the auction site and sell it for $20, in large quantities, and people will buy them. And they do, surprisingly. But there is nothing special about that, other than if you purchase the shirt, you get the warm fuzzy that you helped the CJC cause.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

I thought this year's selection was underwhelming too. I normally buy something.. this year, probably not.
ImageImageImageImage
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

The bigger auction I believe is the one in the Fall.

BTW: The Cowboys in Colorado t-shirts were all donated by those of us here in Colorado and so all 100% raised goes to the Cowboy Joe Club!

Also, the group down here is buying breakfast at the meeting for whoever buys one and all of the expense is with the group down here. We did the donation as well to increase our numbers at our breakfasts which has been in the 30+ person range in 2014. Next one is on March 7 at Johnson's Corner at 8:00 a.m.

GO POKES
Mr.Large
Ranch Hand

I usually buy a round of golf with one of the coaches and take some clients. Nothing like that this year.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

This year has limited stuff. Last year there were framed football pictures and used gear. I was also very underwhelmed with CJC auction.
PokeFan1981
Buckaroo

Last year there was a golf outing at Old Baldy with Coach Bohl that was no-bid. So I'm not sure you'll have that again in the future.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokeFan1981 wrote:Last year there was a golf outing at Old Baldy with Coach Bohl that was no-bid. So I'm not sure you'll have that again in the future.
Welcome to the board!

Just out of curiosity, what do you do (what's your job) at UW - Athletics? Does the 1981 stand for your birth year - so that makes you 34-ish?

And, can you tell us all more about that auction item last year? What was the minimum bid? Where there only specific dates (or a date time-frame) that it could be used? What other details about it would have made it unattractive? Was it a late-added item that most would have never seen? If so, did you notify all the previous bidders that there were new items added? In fact, are you doing that this year...both from a standpoint of bidders this year, and bidders the previous years?

Thanks, appreciate your time!
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:
PokeFan1981 wrote:Last year there was a golf outing at Old Baldy with Coach Bohl that was no-bid. So I'm not sure you'll have that again in the future.
Welcome to the board!

Just out of curiosity, what do you do (what's your job) at UW - Athletics? Does the 1981 stand for your birth year - so that makes you 34-ish?

And, can you tell us all more about that auction item last year? What was the minimum bid? Where there only specific dates (or a date time-frame) that it could be used? What other details about it would have made it unattractive? Was it a late-added item that most would have never seen? If so, did you notify all the previous bidders that there were new items added? In fact, are you doing that this year...both from a standpoint of bidders this year, and bidders the previous years?

Waiting for a response to this...seriously. Take the few minutes and let us know, please.
Dear Karma,

PokeFan1981
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
Welcome to the board!

Nope don't work for UW. Volunteer for CJC. Have posted on here before, as poke fan 1980 but forgot my login. I remember the item because I wanted it. I think min bid was 1500 or 2k. Too rich for my blood.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokeFan1981 wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Welcome to the board!

Nope don't work for UW. Volunteer for CJC. Have posted on here before, as poke fan 1980 but forgot my login. I remember the item because I wanted it. I think min bid was 1500 or 2k. Too rich for my blood.
Thanks...I thought that was the case on that item (and there were only a certain specific dates / days). Thanks for the information, and thanks also for volunteering for CJC - we all appreciate it. :thumb:
Dear Karma,