Signing Day 2015

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: I take anything from that site with the same grain of salt I take Recruitment Rankings. Sure they mean something but not near as much as everyone thinks.
I know. But overall I agree with them...recruiting rankings aren't an exact science, but you're delusional if you think any program, including Wyoming, is going to be dancing with a Rose Bowl trophy on January 1st with a roster loaded with "diamonds in the rough". You have to recruit well to have a chance.
Dunno close that there has ever been was Utah, TCU & Boise of the three I would say Boise was more like the team that could be that Cinderella sweetheart but the BCS made sure it didn't happen. Utah in 2008 didn't have some all star recruiting class and they could have won a NC Title had they not been completely screwed.

I do believe a team like Wyoming or anyone else way below anyone radar could potential end up there but only if the committee wants them too.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: Dunno close that there has ever been was Utah, TCU & Boise of the three I would say Boise was more like the team that could be that Cinderella sweetheart but the BCS made sure it didn't happen. Utah in 2008 didn't have some all star recruiting class and they could have won a NC Title had they not been completely screwed.

I do believe a team like Wyoming or anyone else way below anyone radar could potential end up there but only if the committee wants them too.
TCU brought in 4-Star talent and top-end 3-Star talent all the time. Utah did not, but they still brought in recruits who were being courted by at the time BCS schools. Boise State is a bit of an anomaly, and Kellen Moore was a 4-Star recruit. Even the best players from Boise's 2014 Fiesta Bowl winning team were top recruits (Ajayi was Parade AA, Correa/Vallejo/Weaver all Top 50 recruits at their positions).

I'm not saying all of them have to be top recruits, I'm just saying that there will be no team recruiting exclusively "diamond in the rough" types and winning big. You need classes of several C.J. Johnson's and Justice Murphy's, not just a guy here and there. For every Brett Smith, there are 20 under-recruited guys who just aren't any good. To win big, you need depth, and that only comes from recruiting well annually. Back to Boise State...last season they lost their Top 3 DTs before Week 2 even happened. Next man up was the philosophy, but they had the depth to do that! Wyoming can't lose their top 3 guys at any position and expect to do well. Only consistently beating out respectable schools for players will build championship depth.

My point is...the rankings aren't perfect, but there is no college football team racking up farm boys with no offers and no notoriety and then winning big. Even the Cinderella's get several guys the big boys wanted,
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Boy that is disappointing, 108 is bad I'd like to see us in the 70's range.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

It is as though some of you aren't familiar with recruiting. It is a giant popularity contest. The bigger profile the school, the more stars awarded, the higher the ranking. Wyoming isn't going to get any favors. Plus, 247 hasn't ranked some of our guys and is including walkons.

It is all about development.

Go Pokes!!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:It is as though some of you aren't familiar with recruiting. It is a giant popularity contest. The bigger profile the school, the more stars awarded, the higher the ranking. Wyoming isn't going to get any favors. Plus, 247 hasn't ranked some of our guys and is including walkons.

It is all about development.

Go Pokes!!
I agree. I've seen more than a few less-than-complimentary comments from coaches over time when asked about these recruiting rating systems.

Rivals has yet to give star ratings to Clinton, Granderson, Harshman, Hull and Price. They don't even have Momoh or Wilson listed. Impressive work.

Three Rivals 3-star ratings for WYO's class versus five three-star ratings from 247sports. Who are rating these kids?

I found it amusing that Joseph Parker originally received a 3-star rating from Rivals. It magically dropped to a 2-star weeks later. Again, who are rating these kids?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: I take anything from that site with the same grain of salt I take Recruitment Rankings. Sure they mean something but not near as much as everyone thinks.
I know. But overall I agree with them...recruiting rankings aren't an exact science, but you're delusional if you think any program, including Wyoming, is going to be dancing with a Rose Bowl trophy on January 1st with a roster loaded with "diamonds in the rough". You have to recruit well to have a chance.
I don't remember if it was Bohl or another coach that said it on Wednesday, but it fits the Wyoming profile even if it wasn't Bohl

"While other schools can select players, we have to recruit players
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: "While other schools can select players, we have to recruit players
Well, I think USC is probably the only team nationally that can literally just pick who they want. Everyone else has to do some work.

But yes, for the time being...Wyoming has to do some digging.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

USC, yes, I would also include Alabama and Florida State in that category as of right now. A few years ago, you could place Texas and Florida in there as well.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:USC, yes, I would also include Alabama and Florida State in that category as of right now. A few years ago, you could place Texas and Florida in there as well.
I think that's fair...you're right, Texas and UF have fallen off in that regard. UCLA is edging closer to draft pick status.

Good news for Wyoming? The only MW team totally kicking ass in recruiting is Boise State. Even Utah State had a blah class. It takes depth to beat the big boys, but there aren't many big boys in the MW.

On that note, I think CSU will be crashing back to reality hard next fall.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Well, I think USC is probably the only team nationally that can literally just pick who they want.
Oh, USC's about in the same spot as the other perennial top 10 recruiters...Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU...whatever Florida school is hot, whatever Texas/Oklahoma school is hot, whatever other SEC school is hot, etc.

In any event, there's no chance to compete at the highest levels with teams who routinely stuff their rosters with the highest rated recruits.

This doesn't mean that 3-4-5 star recruits will all pan out, or that they guarantee top-10 success. It remains a crapshoot when trying to predict how a young man will mature between age 17 and 20-21. I think that, for instance, the average initial "star rating" of college players invited to the NFL combine is something like 2.3.

But. You can't "develop" speed. Or quickness. Or height. Or body type. Or hands. (And since football, outside of the few skill positions, requires the least native-to-the-sport skils, you'll always take those guys.)

So, if you start every year plugging in 15 freshman who rate in the top of the nation in all of those categories, you're almost guaranteed you're going to be competing at the highest levels.

Wyoming -- and probably 50 other schools in our same boat -- aren't going to have 45 guys on the roster every year who started out as 3-4 star talent. That's just the way it is, and the chance of breaking out of one's "niche" has been made harder over the last 20 years, as the rich schools consolidate their power and swim in money.

That doesn't mean you don't set your goals -- like winning the MWC, or getting to a good bowl -- which then has a snowball effect, giving you access incrementally to better and better recruits. That's where we are, and I think that's Bohl's project...which I think he'll be good at, as he's done it before.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Video deleted
Last edited by POKE FAN on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/gd_egger/status/564944980150464513 As Bohl forges future, Johnson and Ghaifan ride his Nebraska-to-Wyoming pipeline

What Wyoming had to offer was too good to pass up,” CJ Johnson said. “They have something building. I’m excited to be a part of it.”

So is his dad, who got a different look at recruiting through CJ’s process. Nebraska kicked the tires late in the fall, essentially asking if there was still any interest if an offer came near the end of the football season.

“I did have a little bit of communication with a staff member at Nebraska and let them know that Wyoming was the place for CJ,” Clester said.

“They weren’t your typical coaches,” Ghaifan said. “They were really excited. And they told me they were recruiting Nebraska dudes.”

http://www.neprepzone.com/sports/as-boh ... Qg.twitter
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WYO-VISION Repost: Bohl Excited About Wyoming Influence On 2015 Signing Class

Head Coach Craig Bohl talks about his 2015 recruiting class and the emphasis he put on recruiting in-state players.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

We have a cool governor. Hopefully we can get as many big ticket facilities pushed through before his term ends.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LanderPoke wrote:We have a cool governor. Hopefully we can get as many big ticket facilities pushed through before his term ends.
I'd prefer big ticket foundational accounts targeting salaries, player stipends, and recruiting budgets but will take whatever we can get.

I don't think facilities is limiting our success, however.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:We have a cool governor. Hopefully we can get as many big ticket facilities pushed through before his term ends.
I'd prefer big ticket foundational accounts targeting salaries, player stipends, and recruiting budgets but will take whatever we can get.

I agree with you. A permanent fund exclusively for coaches' salaries would be a really great idea.

However, I think if we get the RAC 2.0 built the right way recruits will be fairly blown away and it will be a big asset to the program.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LanderPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

I agree with you. A permanent fund exclusively for coaches' salaries would be a really great idea.

However, I think if we get the RAC 2.0 built the right way recruits will be fairly blown away and it will be a big asset to the program.
Definitely. Facilities matter, and good ones help recruiting.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

At 6'6" 185 lbs, if the football thing doesn't work out, maybe Shyatt should give him a call.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
At 6'6" 185 lbs, if the football thing doesn't work out, maybe Shyatt should give him a call.

I think we've got ourselves another Malcolm Floyd type!!!