Recruit gets stood up by Louisville

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Sometimes I get upset when a recruit verbals to a school yet continues to make visits to other schools. Then I read an article like this and I can't blame them at all. Petrino is a piece of poop, but then, we already knew that...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2358 ... sports-bin

Yet another reason why I think football recruits should be able to sign in the fall early signing period just like basketball recruits.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I know Minnesota said they had to turn someone away this year because they were already filled at that position.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Turned away as in: they offered, then a few months later when he committed, they said no thanks, we're full?

Or turned away as in, they offered, he committed, everyone was happy, and then two months later they called and said, no thanks, we got 3 other guys better than you, good luck?

And my final question would be, how bad was this guy that they actually turned him down for "better" recruits?? Minnesota had a horrible class this year.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:Turned away as in: they offered, then a few months later when he committed, they said no thanks, we're full?

Or turned away as in, they offered, he committed, everyone was happy, and then two months later they called and said, no thanks, we got 3 other guys better than you, good luck?

And my final question would be, how bad was this guy that they actually turned him down for "better" recruits?? Minnesota had a horrible class this year.
They turned him away on signing day.

Even today, we had a situation where we had to turn a good player away because we were filled up. He was a player that was going to a really, really good Power 5 school but he wanted to come here at the last straw. And there wasn't anything to do about it because we were filled up at that position. That hasn't happened before since I've been here, but we've had that happen a couple times in the last few days. I wish we had a few more scholarships. One of them was a four-star player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... rry-kill-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

This is the reason Justice Murphy will play at Wyoming. Utah surprised him with the grayshirt news, he decommitted altogether...and all of the offers he had accumulated dried up late in the process. Those are the type of recruits Wyoming has to snag at the last minute. They are available ever year.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:This is the reason Justice Murphy will play at Wyoming. Utah surprised him with the grayshirt news, he decommitted altogether...and all of the offers he had accumulated dried up late in the process. Those are the type of recruits Wyoming has to snag at the last minute. They are available ever year.
And the reason Milo Hall isn't a Poke. Believe it or not, it goes both ways. Offer a bunch of guys and it is first come, first serve at that point.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Vicious cycle but hate the game not the players. If they want to change it, then change it to make commitments more binding for both parties.

If players can flip at the last minute, why can't coaches? I agree that it is bogus and the coaches should be above that, but, as stated, change the rules rather than making a villain of recruits or coaches who flip last minute, imo.

I think changing the rules really needs to happen to avoid situations like this.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:
J-Rod wrote:This is the reason Justice Murphy will play at Wyoming. Utah surprised him with the grayshirt news, he decommitted altogether...and all of the offers he had accumulated dried up late in the process. Those are the type of recruits Wyoming has to snag at the last minute. They are available ever year.
And the reason Milo Hall isn't a Poke. Believe it or not, it goes both ways. Offer a bunch of guys and it is first come, first serve at that point.
I have no problem with the first come, first serve philosophy, it can help make minds up faster one way or the other. The problem here is there is a big difference between first come, first serve and first come, serve until someone better takes your spot and then you are out on your butt.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I had Gordie Haug, Wyoming's director of recruiting on a recent show and I asked him specifically about this Louisville/Petrino situation...Gordie told me that, unfortunately this happens with more frequency than any of us might think about.

Because it is Petrino and based upon his past foibles - this is why this one particular situation mushroomed as it did.