Will the Wyoming Cowboys ever have a QB that...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jbeiermann
Ranch Hand

Actually takes a snap in the NFL?

Not just making CFL, other leagues, practices squads, or roster. BUT actually play as starter/backup in NFL?
GO POKES!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

jbeiermann wrote:Actually takes a snap in the NFL?

Not just making CFL, other leagues, practices squads, or roster. BUT actually play as starter/backup in NFL?
Yes.

Craig Bohl turned a kid from a small Wisconsin town into a guy that got a chance in an NFL training camp. With a bigger budget here, I have faith that he'll find another Brock Jensen, or maybe someone even better.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Maybe? Need to see how recruiting pans out. I don't see any NFL talent at QB right now. Everyone is either raw or nowhere near physically gifted enough. Hard question to answer...ever is a long time assuming football doesn't get axed altogether as a sport or something like that. Drafted is one thing....takes a snap in a regular season game? That is an awfully high plateau to reach. There are elite programs in college football who don't have a QB taking snaps in the NFL right now.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:There are elite programs in college football who don't have a QB taking snaps in the NFL right now.
It will help having a pro style system. The likelihood drops considerably in a spread IMO.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

J-Rod wrote:Maybe? Need to see how recruiting pans out. I don't see any NFL talent at QB right now. Everyone is either raw or nowhere near physically gifted enough. Hard question to answer...ever is a long time assuming football doesn't get axed altogether as a sport or something like that. Drafted is one thing....takes a snap in a regular season game? That is an awfully high plateau to reach. There are elite programs in college football who don't have a QB taking snaps in the NFL right now.
Alabama sure doesn't have much luck with QBs to the NFL.. or Florida (if one of you says Tim Tebow I'll cut you).
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: Alabama sure doesn't have much luck with QBs to the NFL.. or Florida (if one of you says Tim Tebow I'll cut you).
Exactly. Bohl has the potential to make a positive impact on UW football, but putting a QB in the league that actually plays? I'd wager there is a great chance that won't happen. Even the unstoppable in college Kellen Moore hasn't done that.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:Alabama sure doesn't have much luck with QBs to the NFL.. or Florida (if one of you says Tim Tebow I'll cut you).
Florida is a spread offense system. Spread quarterbacks rarely make it in the NFL. That's a big reason why Brett Smith busted out so fast.

Alabama hasn't had a ton of success, but Greg McElroy started a game in New York a couple years ago and AJ McCarron was drafted in the 5th round by Cincinnati.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

joshvanklomp wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Alabama sure doesn't have much luck with QBs to the NFL.. or Florida (if one of you says Tim Tebow I'll cut you).
Florida is a spread offense system. Spread quarterbacks rarely make it in the NFL. That's a big reason why Brett Smith busted out so fast.

Alabama hasn't had a ton of success, but Greg McElroy started a game in New York a couple years ago and AJ McCarron was drafted in the 5th round by Cincinnati.
Florida wasn't zone/read (correct terminology) during the Spurrier/Zook years. Spurrier was a Fun N Gun offense, Zook was more pro-style. Wasn't until Urban came along that some of that was in play, and even then, they weren't a total zone/read offense. I think Muschamp, and now McElwain, ran more conventional pro-style offenses, with maybe a little zone-read.

McElroy probably made his first and only start in NY, McCarron will ride pine for a while, collect a check, and be cut. It's a harsh world out there.

Brett Smith busted out fast because he wasn't pro-ready.. that's a guy that definitely needed one more year in college to develop, it's not like he was coming off of a Heisman like year when he declared.
ImageImageImageImage
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Did Casey Bramlett ever take a snap in a non-preseason game? He was the MVP of the World Bowl, but not sure what he did in the NFL without looking.

There are a lot of college teams who haven't put a QB in the NFL. Has Boise?

Go Pokes!!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

It's strange how a QB can be great in college, even in pro systems, and not pan out in the NFL and then guys like Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, & Kurt Warner can show up from tiny ass schools out of nowhere.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

JimmyDimes wrote:Did Casey Bramlett ever take a snap in a non-preseason game? He was the MVP of the World Bowl, but not sure what he did in the NFL without looking.
Bramlet had preseason snaps, but never regular season ones. :(
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I'd be happy for one to stay his Senior year.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:Did Casey Bramlett ever take a snap in a non-preseason game? He was the MVP of the World Bowl, but not sure what he did in the NFL without looking.

There are a lot of college teams who haven't put a QB in the NFL. Has Boise?

Go Pokes!!
I doubt it.

Putting a QB in the NFL that takes regular season snaps involves a lot of luck frankly. There are lots of things Bohl could accomplish before that ever happens.

Now RB on the other hand...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
J-Rod wrote:There are elite programs in college football who don't have a QB taking snaps in the NFL right now.
It will help having a pro style system. The likelihood drops considerably in a spread IMO.
Barf. I agree. Barf.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

BackHarlowRoad wrote:It's strange how a QB can be great in college, even in pro systems, and not pan out in the NFL and then guys like Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, & Kurt Warner can show up from tiny ass schools out of nowhere.
Flacco had played in the FCS championship before he was drafted, Warner came from the Arena League.. so they had some "big time" exposure previous to the NFL.. Romo, who knows.
ImageImageImageImage
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Perhaps, can't wait to see it
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

You guys know Flacco was at Pitt before he lost the starting job to Tyler Thigpen (also an NFL QB) and transferred to that FCS school.

Wasn't as much of a "small school" QB as people would like to think.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:Barf. I agree. Barf.
I knew you always liked me deep down inside... :lol:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Barf. I agree. Barf.
I knew you always liked me deep down inside... :lol: