2015 MW Schedule coming out today

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The SDSU game will be interesting. It'll be power run offense against power run offense. Though SDSU hasn't had very good QBs the last few years, which has limited their offensive ability quite a bit. Defense wise, the 3-3-5 is a pain in the ass. Because you know they will blitz, you just don't know who and what angles they will take. Their biggest d-linemen are right about 300lbs, and chances are, those are their NTs. But the 3-3-5 emphasizes speed over size. And their DEs are about in the 240lbs range. Essentially, the size of what you would find in a 4 man front, rather than the 3-4 (which emphasizes size and power on the line). So, a lot depends on our o-line's and fullback's reaction abilities to blitzes coming from nearly every angle.

Our defense though, won't have as much of an issue since SDSU runs a similar offense, but they do have a very large o-line. Olive, as NT and being very powerful will be key, and Yarbrough will need to truly shine on the edge against this line. And our d-line will need to keep SDSU's o-line off of the largely inexperienced linebackers.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

http://www.wyonation.com/2015/03/mounta ... -schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Chuckie Keeton throwing the ball from his wheel chair should be interesting to watch. God he was horrible before he got hurt...again.

East coast games are tricky. No Poke fan should be getting too confident about that game in Boone. Mountaineers return more starters than any team in college football.

I am confident the Boot returns to Laramie. CSU is the #1 MW candidate to fall off a cliff this year. From 11 wins to :puppy:.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I haven't kept up with other conferences that have 2 divisions, but is it common to end the season with cross division games? I also haven't looked at everyone's schedule; if they are similar to WYO's, the Mtn. division will be largely wrapped up by the first part of November.

That kind of blows. It really sucks that we get freaking UNLV for rivalry weekend. WTF?

IMO, divisional games should be at the end of the season. I don't give a damn about agreements with byu or anyone else; you don't like it, join another conference. We are either a conference or we aren't. Our conference race is important or it isn't. This reaks of small-time, which I guess we are. I just wish we would stop acting like it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:ND - W
EM - W
@WSU - L
NM - W
@App St - L
@ AF - L
Nev - W
@ Boise - L
@ Utah St - L
CSU - L
@ SDSU L
UNLV - W

5-7

My toss up games are Appy State, CSU, and AFA. Win one of those and they can go bowling.
With both North Dakota and Appy St. both FCS schools don't we have to win 7 games to be bowl eligible. Am I wrong on this?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Cheywypoke wrote:
EM - W
@WSU - L
NM - W
@App St - L
@ AF - L
Nev - W
@ Boise - L
@ Utah St - L
CSU - L
@ SDSU L
UNLV - W

5-7

My toss up games are Appy State, CSU, and AFA. Win one of those and they can go bowling.
With both North Dakota and Appy St. both FCS schools don't we have to win 7 games to be bowl eligible. Am I wrong on this?
I thought about that as well - and for some reason I thought that rule changed. Either way, kind of strange we play 2 FCS schools, and an FBS-Lite school (Eastern Whatever). Seems kind of similar to men's basketball scheduling. If UW football had an RPI with this schedule, it would be putrid.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

McPeachy wrote:
Cheywypoke wrote:
EM - W
@WSU - L
NM - W
@App St - L
@ AF - L
Nev - W
@ Boise - L
@ Utah St - L
CSU - L
@ SDSU L
UNLV - W

5-7

I thought about that as well - and for some reason I thought that rule changed. Either way, kind of strange we play 2 FCS schools, and an FBS-Lite school (Eastern Whatever). Seems kind of similar to men's basketball scheduling. If UW football had an RPI with this schedule, it would be putrid.
App St. is FBS now
NDPokes
Buckaroo

Appy State is no longer FCS, or am I mistaken? Member of the Sun Belt Conference.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

NDPokes wrote:Appy State is no longer FCS, or am I mistaken? Member of the Sun Belt Conference.
No you are right...they are FBS now.
Dear Karma,

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I'm gonna make the trek to Pullman Sept 19, can't wait
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

My guesses at the Vegas spreads...the highest favorite Wyoming was in 2014 was -7 vs. Montana (did not cover). Biggest underdog was +43 vs. Oregon (covered). Largest margin of victory was 28 @Fresno. Largest margin of loss was 49 vs. Boise.

North Dakota -13.5
Eastern Michigan -10
@Washington State +21.5
New Mexico -4.5
@Appalachian State +1
@Air Force +4
Nevada -2.5
@Boise State +24.5
@Utah State +18
Colorado State PK
@San Diego State +14
UNLV -7
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:My guesses at the Vegas spreads...the highest favorite Wyoming was in 2014 was -7 vs. Montana (did not cover). Biggest underdog was +43 vs. Oregon (covered). Largest margin of victory was 28 @Fresno. Largest margin of loss was 49 vs. Boise.

North Dakota -13.5
Eastern Michigan -10
@Washington State +21.5
New Mexico -4.5
@Appalachian State +1
@Air Force +4
Nevada -2.5
@Boise State +24.5
@Utah State +18
Colorado State PK
@San Diego State +14
UNLV -7
Favored in 5, 1 pickem, and 6 dogs. Wouldn't surprise. Those last 4 prior to the bye week...oh my.
Dear Karma,

djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I think that is close. Other than I think New Mexico will be favored (I think I threw up a little bit when I said that).
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

That was a tough one for me too. Lobos will be better than fans expect, and they almost won in Laramie the last time around.

The PK on CSU was outta respect for their 2014 season. I think they're going to suck donkey balls in 2015.

In hindsight, I'm not liking my SDSU spread. +10.5 or +11 sounds about right. Might be giving Nevada too much respect, but last year's home loss to SJSU has me paranoid.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I could see NM being pick em game. I am hearing that Coffman can sling the ball pretty well. Hopefully this is true. I heard the same about Young and he never sniffed the field. Jeez, even Stratton played QB.

Any one connected on the team know how Fort is looking? I am all about letting the guy with experience give it a whirl, but a certain point you have to give an underclassmen a shot and let him roll. Let's be honest, our offense will revolve around (insert any QB here) handing the ball off to Wick and Hill. Looking forward to that combo for sure. I liked DJ May, but his style of running wasn't to drag people and lots of yards after contact.

Okay Duval.... up to you to get those OL ready to smoke D-lines.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:I could see NM being pick em game. I am hearing that Coffman can sling the ball pretty well. Hopefully this is true. I heard the same about Young and he never sniffed the field. Jeez, even Stratton played QB.

Any one connected on the team know how Fort is looking? I am all about letting the guy with experience give it a whirl, but a certain point you have to give an underclassmen a shot and let him roll. Let's be honest, our offense will revolve around (insert any QB here) handing the ball off to Wick and Hill. Looking forward to that combo for sure. I liked DJ May, but his style of running wasn't to drag people and lots of yards after contact.

With the key losses on defense, it isn't like expectations are sky high next season. I would be all for a younger QB. Might as well build. Wick and Hill are going to be a lot of fun to watch, I just hope they aren't Seldon/Moore 2.0 where the running game is awesome but the rest of the team is "meh".

You know my philosophy on the OL/DL. Until I see it, I'm expecting them to be average or terrible. Same mantra every year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

J-Rod wrote:
djm19 wrote:I could see NM being pick em game. I am hearing that Coffman can sling the ball pretty well. Hopefully this is true. I heard the same about Young and he never sniffed the field. Jeez, even Stratton played QB.

With the key losses on defense, it isn't like expectations are sky high next season. I would be all for a younger QB. Might as well build. Wick and Hill are going to be a lot of fun to watch, I just hope they aren't Seldon/Moore 2.0 where the running game is awesome but the rest of the team is "meh".

You know my philosophy on the OL/DL. Until I see it, I'm expecting them to be average or terrible. Same mantra every year.
I thought the O line play was a lot better last year than it has been. I expect us to actually have an above average o line this year. Never hurts to have a good o line.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:

Actually, up until the Boise game last year, the o-line was showing marked improvement, particularly in the run game. And with 4 returning starters and an experienced QB, along with Wick, Hill, and Van Maanen in the backfield, our offense should be pretty solid. Defense, hard to say. We lose a ton of experience at every level. Though we did get a lot of guys playing time last season.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

NDPokes wrote:Appy State is no longer FCS, or am I mistaken? Member of the Sun Belt Conference.

And they are good with really good young talent coming back.

I say 5-7 at best.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

I thought the O line play was a lot better last year than it has been. I expect us to actually have an above average o line this year. Never hurts to have a good o line.

It took the O line a while to gel last season. With the appendectomy issues and stuff it wasn't until about week 8 that they started to push the defense. Hill reaped the benefits of a O line that peaked at the right time.