Heard Bohl is cleaning house

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

cowboyz wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Sounds a lot like the real world
Hahaha no poop welcome to the real world. Lifes a bitch.
Never said it wasn't like the real world. And in the real world, many people stay and stick through tough times while others think it is in their best interest to leave. But unlike the very real world it is, it appears to me that many people on this board have an unrealistic expectation that every athlete will stick around.
I totally agree with this and have said it before. If a situation is not right for you, you change the situation. Are we all with the first girlfriend or boyfriend we ever had, still working at our first job, still driving that first car, living in the same apartment/house? I'm guessing no. So why should we expect a player to stick around if things are not feeling right to them? It takes balls to leave a full-ride scholarship. Coaches come and go as they please, why not the players?
Or a quitter. When a program invests time and money in you and you bail.....that is a quitter IMO. Or, a person who would break a contract. Either way, balls are not the word I would use.

Nice win today.

Go Pokes!!!
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote:
cowboyz wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
Never said it wasn't like the real world. And in the real world, many people stay and stick through tough times while others think it is in their best interest to leave. But unlike the very real world it is, it appears to me that many people on this board have an unrealistic expectation that every athlete will stick around.
I totally agree with this and have said it before. If a situation is not right for you, you change the situation. Are we all with the first girlfriend or boyfriend we ever had, still working at our first job, still driving that first car, living in the same apartment/house? I'm guessing no. So why should we expect a player to stick around if things are not feeling right to them? It takes balls to leave a full-ride scholarship. Coaches come and go as they please, why not the players?
Or a quitter. When a program invests time and money in you and you bail.....that is a quitter IMO. Or, a person who would break a contract. Either way, balls are not the word I would use.

Nice win today.

Go Pokes!!!
Or maybe if the kids were brought in under false pretenses, I know a few who were told things that was never going to happen. .. at that point the kids needs to make it right , and that would be to part with both parties agreement of the schoulership. ... both ..... and to be truthful idk this town has to be boring for the kids . I'm not a kid anymore but it bores the heck out of me.
HokeyPokey
Buckaroo

johnywyo wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:I firmly believe that the man does not truly care for each of his players. Maybe a select few, but his true care is for his record and the way he outwardly appearance. While this is understandable because everyone knows that Division 1 is a business, he misleads many into thinking that he cares for more than their product on the field.

Hokey: So you are indicating the Bohl is disingenuous, caring only for HIS record and his outward appearance? This is somewhat compelling, if that is the case, he's a con man. Most great coaches do care about their records, but truly care about every aspect of the TEAM. Including the trainers, the equipment crew, the players and coaches. This needs some more discussion, as Bohl's pedigree is one that is vastly different than as you describe according to my sources. Give me some tangible examples, if you feel you can.
I could give you a 100% true example that I witnessed firsthand. However, I'm not sure if it is time or place for that.
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

Also after watching unlv I wouldn't be doing to much patting on the back , they are not a real good team however it was nice to see some changes to the d ....as in putting some pressure on. It was too late but at least something was done .
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
cowboyz wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:

Nice win today.

Go Pokes!!!
So how would you rate Burman's firing of DC?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

HokeyPokey wrote:
And anyone who thinks uniforms won't help recruiting.... they will. It's sad, but that's how things are today.
This was my biggest takeaway from Hokey's post...there you have it old-timers. :D
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

JimmyDimes wrote:
cowboyz wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
These "contracts" run year to year, they are not evergreen. If a player knew their scholarship, assuming they had one, would be all four years no matter what, then maybe their, or my opinion would be different. They are not, they are year-to-year. These players are investing their time and efforts as well, it's not a one-way street. So, you've never left a situation in your life? Or are you also a quitter?

Nice win today.

Go Pokes!!!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:Bohls the boss, if you can't hack it, leave. If you don't like it, leave. If you're not D-1 material, you don't deserve 4 years of free education. If I couldn't have hacked college curriculum, my scholarship would have been revoked. I'm sure some players get treated poorly, it's not all on the coaches. You could probably give us insight on players with poor attitudes as well. We're in transition still, some 18 yr olds might not like being scolded but those that stick around should be better off.
Perfect.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
cowboyz wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:

Nice win today.

Go Pokes!!!
+1
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Yabadabadoo wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Bohls the boss, if you can't hack it, leave. If you don't like it, leave. If you're not D-1 material, you don't deserve 4 years of free education. If I couldn't have hacked college curriculum, my scholarship would have been revoked. I'm sure some players get treated poorly, it's not all on the coaches. You could probably give us insight on players with poor attitudes as well. We're in transition still, some 18 yr olds might not like being scolded but those that stick around should be better off.
Perfect.
Exactly, if you don't like it, leave. Or if you are DI material, you leave to the likes of Oklahoma State, TCU and maybe eventually the NFL.
HokeyPokey
Buckaroo

Yabadabadoo wrote:
Perfect.
Exactly why I don't believe it should be a major deal when a player decides to leave. They may not be able to succeed at the D1 level in a specific scheme, but if they can elsewhere why not let them go? I would hope that if you couldn't hack your curriculum at that specific school, you would try your luck elsewhere.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

cowboyz wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Perfect.
Exactly, if you don't like it, leave. Or if you are DI material, you leave to the likes of Oklahoma State, TCU and maybe eventually the NFL.
Or Vanderbilt, Utah or the CFL.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

What promises were broken to recruits?? We didn't win enough games? ha ha ha. no one can guarantee wins. Were guarantees of playing time broken? I doubt it. Just about every freshmen saw playing time this year. Good luck finding that at a different program. I am having a hard time seeing how promises and guarantees were broken. You play for Bohl and you get free education from a great school.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Cuttslam wrote:
cowboyz wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Perfect.
Or Vanderbilt, Utah or the CFL.
Exactly, you needn't be "stuck" in the first place you land if it's not right for you. Just like Cam this year playing for us, or the player coming over from San Diego.
HokeyPokey
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote:What promises were broken to recruits?? We didn't win enough games? ha ha ha. no one can guarantee wins. Were guarantees of playing time broken? I doubt it. Just about every freshmen saw playing time this year. Good luck finding that at a different program. I am having a hard time seeing how promises and guarantees were broken. You play for Bohl and you get free education from a great school.
Didn't say promises that were made, just said expectations that are painted. A lot of recruits say they come to Wyoming because of the "family environment". Well when they get here and are find out that things aren't quite that way, they may change their mind. I am just giving reasons as to why certain players leave. Remember, even though I observed all of these things I stayed on the team for my entire eligibility.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

HokeyPokey wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Perfect.
Exactly why I don't believe it should be a major deal when a player decides to leave. They may not be able to succeed at the D1 level in a specific scheme, but if they can elsewhere why not let them go? I would hope that if you couldn't hack your curriculum at that specific school, you would try your luck elsewhere.
You mentioned uniforms before -- and as a huge fan of the aesthetics of athletics, I'd be interested in hearing what our players think of our unis? I have zero problem with them, I love our colors of brown and gold, and our helmet is one of the most iconic in all of college football. Do tell...
HokeyPokey
Buckaroo

Yabadabadoo wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Perfect.
You mentioned uniforms before -- and as a huge fan of the aesthetics of athletics, I'd be interested in hearing what our players think of our unis? I have zero problem with them, I love our colors of brown and gold, and our helmet is one of the most iconic in all of college football. Do tell...
There are mixed feelings. Some don't care but a lot do miss the multiple combinations we had.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

HokeyPokey wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Perfect.
There are mixed feelings. Some don't care but a lot do miss the multiple combinations we had.
I hated the camo look, it was flat out ugly, I also didn't like the state bucking horse logo...but I REALLY liked the brown helmet.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Yabadabadoo wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
HokeyPokey wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Perfect.
I hated the camo look, it was flat out ugly, I also didn't like the state bucking horse logo...but I REALLY liked the brown helmet.
I'm hoping you are referring to just the bucking horse with the Wyo flag background
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Some attrition is normal with every class. Kids should be free to go with a handshake and sitting a year. Their scholarship can be pulled at anytime. You want to talk real world? Loyalty only exists in a mutually beneficial relationship. Loyalty in the real world is out the door as soon as 1party no longer benefits or benefits to an acceptable level. In the word of Deion Sanders "It is hard for me to fathom that I gotta be loyal to you, when you aren't loyal to me".

You want loyalty? Give them guaranteed 5 year scholarships, medical, etc. and guarantee a class schedule that is doable and yield a meaningful degree. Acknowledge that they sign with a staff and not the University. Thus, if staff leaves, the player obligation is optional.

Significant attrition is a symptom of bigger issues. Recruiting? Problems with coaches? Etc.?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.